Not to burst the bubble ...

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He picks the team, but he's not the one setting budgets, negotiating transfer fees or contracts.

He'll have his input on signings of course, but he may end up being given his fifth or sixth choice by the time the chairman's concluded his dealings.

Oh i know he wont have those decisions to make but at the end of the day he says yes or no on a player. One area DC has learned is this after the whole Rhodes debacle.

This hasnt exactly worked out well mind with Jos saying yes to Pessy.

My personal opinion is the manager (not Monk as he is a very poor manager IMO) should have a say on the fee's and contracts. The manager knows the value each player will bring to a side and that has a big impact on the money side of things.

My point is, we start off in the same vein as last year, there is one person to blame... Monk. Not the recruitment, not chansiri not the players not the back room its all on Monk.

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think what we can take from that is, that Liam Palmer is a much better defender than some give him credit for

No, it’s because he stands in the middle or backs off. He doesn’t come or go. Just leaves an easy pass or one-two round him. Can’t get taken on if you do that. You can however end up defending on the edge of your own box and miss opportunities for breaks because you didn’t try and win the ball early.

For example those stats make him look 4x better then Hector. I think we all know that’s not true.

5 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Goalkeepers position worries me the most. 
Both keepers league one at best. 
Lees is top half if he can find his game. 

I think thats very harsh on both keepers and rather optimistic when it comes to Lees. I think Lees is scarred by an unsettling 3 years and he wouldnt be in my starting XI. 

11 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He picks the team, but he's not the one setting budgets, negotiating transfer fees or contracts.

He'll have his input on signings of course, but he may end up being given his fifth or sixth choice by the time the chairman's concluded his dealings.

He will be taking into the sweet shop.

"Now you have a pound to spend Gazza, what do you want?  A Mars bar?  They're expensive, how about two Milkyways and a small packet of Lovehearts?  Oh hurry up and decide shop will be closing soon if you want the Mars bar, you can have it, but that's it, nothing else".

Bloody kids.

Imagine the voice in a Thai accent.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Goalkeepers position worries me the most. 
Both keepers league one at best. 
Lees is top half if he can find his game. 

The problem with Lees is there's leaders and those that need leading, we have him as captain, but he falls into the latter. 

He's very good when he's some one at the side of him to (hold his hand) basically, but lacks the organisation skills or commanding presence to lead a back line. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mancowl08 said:

Well it’s a good job the game isn’t played on paper then! Wonder if Sheff U fans played this game when they came up from league one. Or even when they got promoted to the premier league last season with the likes of Billy Sharp and McGoldrick up front! 

To be honest, my bubble was burst when I saw the topic title.....

To be fair though Wilder is a bit of a miracle worker. Few other managers could have achieved what he has done with their squad and resources. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Personally I don't

It's a real serious concern

No point recruiting a new team if the keepers let in soft goals all the time

It may be a bit of a keepers union having played there myself. On balance, they are both great shot stoppers but neither command their area with confidence. 

There is still time for both as relatively young and in the previous/current environment it could well be a confidence thing. On their day they can be championship quality but consistency lets them down I suppose, hence league one comparisons. 

1 minute ago, Mystic Neg said:

It may be a bit of a keepers union having played there myself. On balance, they are both great shot stoppers but neither command their area with confidence. 

There is still time for both as relatively young and in the previous/current environment it could well be a confidence thing. On their day they can be championship quality but consistency lets them down I suppose, hence league one comparisons. 

Let’s hope the new coach and new ideas will help iron out their weaknesses.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the people who go on about having a top half/bottom half/league one squad actually ever look at any other players in the league. Apart from a few notable exceptions most of the league have players around the same level as Lees, Palmer, Reach, Harris, Odubajo etc - all ones who have been deemed 'bottom half' or 'league one'. In reality they're all average championship players who will do well when they are in the right setup and in a good environment. I don't see how constantly slagging them off and moaning how they're not good enough helps at all.

One of the worst things about the past few seasons hasn't been the sub-par performances, it's been the constant moaning and aggro from those who seem determined to complain no matter what and turn hillsborough into an increasingly toxic place - the types that felt the need to boo Morgan Fox, and who are already shouting abuse at all the players as soon as one pass is misplaced. This season we're starting on -12, and to be honest, I worry more about the toxic fans than the squad. Just get behind the team ffs

• Like 2