WIGAN Relgated

1 hour ago, The Wall said:

Putting out situation aside, it's a f*cking disgrace what's happened to Wigan

The test they do on prospective owners isn't worth sh*t. This and before them Bolton (Ken Anderson). Disastrous for the clubs involved. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

Exactly.......the EFL ******** up big time.....and punish Wigan. Its laughable.

EFL simply arent fit for purpose. Id rather take the minus 12 this season, than next......but then whos next for minus 12??? Its only a matter of time until 3 or 4 clubs will be starting on minus 12

If we take it this season and get relegated, how long do you think it will take us to get out of that division?

Does anyone know what that league will even look like, there may be more teams going out of business next season if crowds arent allowed back quickly

Rather take the 12 points next year and let everything settle down for a year

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

No we are waiting for the full court ruling in writing to see if there are grounds to appeal, Derby's case has no bearing on ours whatsoever

All I mean is if Derby are cleared of their charges I would guess the club and DC would be more likely to appeal ours. 

Utter b*llocks that, so the efl approve the new owner, who within a month doesn't put a money in and puts them in admin, while being linked to a Phillipino betting syndicate who put large amounts of money on Wigan being relegated, which Rick Parry was caught on tape having admitted he had heard about, and Wigan get f*cked? Only people who need to get f*cked are the efl.

• Like 2

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

All I mean is if Derby are cleared of their charges I would guess the club and DC would be more likely to appeal ours. 

But Derby put the sale in the right year - they just massively inflated the value, which we managed to get away with - probably by putting it in the wrong year (misdirection at its best). So they aren't really connected. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Will be interesting to dad it when it comes out as I can’t see why our deduction hasn’t been applied to the 2019/20 season.

Because the decision was never meant to be made before then end of the season, which should have been May

and secondly after we get the ruling in writing we have two weeks to decide if we want to appeal, that will take the date up to the 21st Aug

At least a month to set up the appeal panel and at least 2 to 3 months to here it

so we would be around the end of October before we knew the result

so if we are relegated and win the appeal, what do the EFL do

Much simpler to deduct the points next season

• Like 1

Its shocking for the fans but as a club they've had it coming. They got into the Premier by megabucks pumped in by Whelan pre FFP and ended up winning an FA cup: all on 10,000 fans a week.

They got zillions in parachute payments and still fd it up.

There had 2 Chinese owners of ill repute and were sponsored by  Philippine betting company of ill repute.

Zero sympathy from me.

• Like 1

Not surprising as the rules for administration were clear. It’s the fans I feel sorry for in cases like this. Looked safe and well a few weeks ago with a decent crop of players and a good manager then BOOM! They’ll be the next Bolton unfortunately after all

their decent players are poached for next to nothing.

44 minutes ago, darra said:

So Charlton are being backed by 9 clubs. Does that mean the other 14 clubs aren't backing them?

Well we are one of the 14 so I doubt we’d be backing them. Saying that though who knows with DC at the helm.

28 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Not necessarily. However immoral the sale of the stadium is or was to some it’s not against the rules. We just decided to put our sale of the stadium in the wrong year. Derby will probably get off.

13 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Never mind us, I’m looking forward to Bournemouth’s 21 point deduction for screwing with EFL and then naffing off to the Prem 

They got away with a £4.75m fine.

When you bear in mind that they recorded losses of £38.3m for the season they won promotion alone, at a time when only £6m losses were allowed, it makes our points deduction rankle somewhat, doesn't it?

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Never mind us, I’m looking forward to Bournemouth’s 21 point deduction for screwing with EFL and then naffing off to the Prem 

So can former championship clubs that get promoted be punished retrospectively on their return to the championship?

41 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Didnt Bournemouth already give the EFL 5m out of the 100s of millions they trousered for being the PL?

I don't know why we would even appeal the decision. The reason for the points deduction is due to failing Test 3 of FFP, under the P&S rule.

We sold the ground, tried to put that in to a different years accounts so that we didn't fail Test 3, and that has been rejected. The sale of the ground has not broken any rules and the independent panel deemed that the case. So it seems just lip service from the club, as they will surely already know that over the past 3 seasons we have made losses greater than the higher threshold of £39M.

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I don't know why we would even appeal the decision. The reason for the points deduction is due to failing Test 3 of FFP, under the P&S rule.

We sold the ground, tried to put that in to a different years accounts so that we didn't fail Test 3, and that has been rejected. The sale of the ground has not broken any rules and the independent panel deemed that the case. So it seems just lip service from the club, as they will surely already know that over the past 3 seasons we have made losses greater than the higher threshold of £39M.

But the ground sale affects when we failed it and by how much.

The ground sale was signed off into the 2017-18 period by professional accountants but this was seemingly not good enough for the EFL and so we failed Test 3 for losses of £10 in season 1, £20M in season 2 and instead of a £3M profit in season 3 we have an even bigger loss which shows huge losses rising each year and hence a -12 when Birmingham only got -9.

Depending on what the report says, we could contest why our punishment is 3 points more than Birmingham's -they had losses of £37M in year 3 alone so not dissimilar in terms of scale to what our look like without the ground sale .

We could also maybe contest the overall result of the case but as you say, if the ground sale was to be allowed in the 2017-18 period on appeal, we will still more than likely be heading for a breach in 2018-19 accounts which are due now and so would potentially result in another case affecting next season in a similar way to the past one with the result still being a deduction at some point down the line.  

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But the ground sale affects when we failed it and by how much.

The ground sale was signed off into the 2017-18 period by professional accountants but this was seemingly not good enough for the EFL and so we failed Test 3 for losses of £10 in season 1, £20M in season 2 and instead of a £3M profit in season 3 we have an even bigger loss which shows huge losses rising each year and hence a -12 when Birmingham only got -9.

Depending on what the report says, we could contest why our punishment is 3 points more than Birmingham's -they had losses of £37M in year 3 alone so not dissimilar in terms of scale to what our look like without the ground sale .

We could also maybe contest the overall result of the case but as you say, if the ground sale was to be allowed in the 2017-18 period on appeal, we will still more than likely be heading for a breach in 2018-19 accounts which are due now and so would potentially result in another case affecting next season in a similar way to the past one with the result still being a deduction at some point down the line.  

You're right, but I was more thinking they would appeal the entire decision, rather than the number of points deducted. It's possibly how I've read/interpreted the clubs annoucement.

Like you mentioned, a professional accountant signed of the 17/18 accounts, and these were accepted by HMRC. So quite why the EFL and/or the indpedent panel won't accept them, is one I don't understand.