Traditional stuff.

The Wednesday for me, always has been.  When asked who I support, I will always reply 'Wednesday'.  How many Wednesday fans say 'Sheffield Wednesday'? It's awkward, like having a double barrelled surname that is four syllables or more.

The Sheffield prefix is useless, as there are no others Wednesdays in football.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Haven't we explored this previously only to be told by the league we can't change our name

Maybe if we change our name we can’t be done for FFP & P&S as all that paperwork refers to a team called Sheffield Wednesday (whoever they are?!). 

Souldnt put it past DC to try!!

3 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Haven't we explored this previously only to be told by the league we can't change our name

I think the league have to approve any name change - recently Wimbledon changed to MK Don's, but Hull City weren't allowed to change to Hull Tigers.

If asked, I think I'd vote for changing - not having a geographical name in their name doesn't seem to have done Arsenal any harm

8 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Been reading lots on here of late with regards to the badge change with some preferring the original and some preferring the one from 1973 up until recently. It got me thinking about how people would feel if the club dropped the Sheffield bit from our name and went back to simply being called The Wednesday? I remember Martin Tyler referring to us as The Wednesday a couple of years ago and it somehow had a good strong sound to it. So for me it's kit made by Bukta, stencil owl from 73 and The Wednesday in the top left of the tv screen. Oh yes, and with red numbers on the back of the shirt. 

Absolutely not.....SHEFFIELD......Sheffield 'Blitz' Sheffield 'Steel'..& SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY...yeah we can shorten it,everyone does,or have nicknames OWLS/BLADES   (or worse!!)..Just my personal choice,as is yours,but with the name of SHEFFIELD,goes a lot more than Football.

Wednesday & Sheffield are connected in so many ways,by history & tradition.Men were recruited at Football Matchs for WW1,went on to fight  with the 'Pals' Battalions at the Somme & other killing grounds.Footballers themselves fought & were killed alongside their fans.They lived,played,fought & DIED  as proud SHEFFIELDERS. Some even kicked a ball into action.

The steel works & rolling mills engineering firms, supplied the generations of fans for Years....Our name is unique, and an integral part of our History...Lets keep and BUILD on it...The Citys name & its Football teams are inevitably linked...LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You speak to any fan of football in the world and tell them you support 'Wednesday' they know who you are talking about 

19 hours ago, attyjake said:

Hate any red on any of our kits, really despised the old red numbers, red is horrible!

Bye the way did I mention I don't like piggy red.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Good job we haven't really used it very often then... :biggrin:

image.png.748bdec7306475a4c4018845b5798d5e.png    image.png.acda2d1bcaebf18fdf0b732e2e28c617.png    image.png.cf0265f7070a8f375cd69a905d2b0aed.png      

image.png.73018904f1f282894ba352fadbd756ac.png      image.png.c9225a7d3a7a9ebc1b6e6d31e1d7cafb.png   

image.png.644ada7ce897c981294422ade960edfa.png     image.png.677ef094bd0d72d87dedc1e0d9d4a6a3.png   

image.png.285aca53e8536f1dcc52a95a0bf68a1b.png       image.png.6ada8d302a05fcd13e4482a86915353d.png     

image.png.d947569afa2cafdefda57e8d7cb4835c.png  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Good job we haven't really used it very often then... :biggrin:

image.png.748bdec7306475a4c4018845b5798d5e.png    image.png.acda2d1bcaebf18fdf0b732e2e28c617.png    image.png.cf0265f7070a8f375cd69a905d2b0aed.png      

image.png.73018904f1f282894ba352fadbd756ac.png      image.png.c9225a7d3a7a9ebc1b6e6d31e1d7cafb.png   

image.png.644ada7ce897c981294422ade960edfa.png     image.png.677ef094bd0d72d87dedc1e0d9d4a6a3.png   

image.png.285aca53e8536f1dcc52a95a0bf68a1b.png       image.png.6ada8d302a05fcd13e4482a86915353d.png     

image.png.d947569afa2cafdefda57e8d7cb4835c.png  

Still hate it , specially that training gear,   urgh

1 minute ago, attyjake said:

Still hate it , specially that training gear,   urgh

Training gear?

That was a goalkeeper shirt (I think the tracksuit bottoms must have been his own) that both Pressman and Turner used in around 1990. I also remember Hodge having to use one that was plain red back in around 1985 when Leicester's away kit was green. We did thrash them 5-0 though for their cheek.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Training gear?

That was a goalkeeper shirt (I think the tracksuit bottoms must have been his own) that both Pressman and Turner used in around 1990. I also remember Hodge having to use one that was plain red back in around 1985 when Leicester's away kit was green. We did thrash them 5-0 though for their cheek.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Training gear?

Looks more like a boiler suit!    

WAWAW

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I think the league have to approve any name change - recently Wimbledon changed to MK Don's, but Hull City weren't allowed to change to Hull Tigers.

If asked, I think I'd vote for changing - not having a geographical name in their name doesn't seem to have done Arsenal any harm

They used to be called Woolwich Arsenal. No wonder they changed it. I'm not sure if the Chelsea Pensioners was ever a football team. 🤔

Guest Therealrealist

No chance..wud be disastrous leaving the grunts with the sheffield bit to themselves...sheffield is where we are..i take it those who want to drop it are out of towners..this idea shud be nipped in the bud right now

Guest The Claw

The Wednesday and the new badge proper tops and by the way, I think there's a song about that............the Wednesday clap clap clap, the Wednesday, etc. etc.