Relegation - Worst Case Scenario

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

Should we, (and let's hope we don't) go down would there be any positives? 

Lighten to wage load, higher earners leaving. 

Talented youngsters such as Hunt, Penney, Urgohide, Shaw, Brennan given more chance to develop. Da Cruz if he signed too maybe. 

Rebuild for a more sustainable future. 

Obviously this is all hypothetical, there's no guarantee that those players develop, no guarantee we don't get injuries, and certainly no guarantee we simply bounce back up without a hiccup. 

If we went down, would you be confident of a brighter future? If we stay up will we be aiming to consolidate at this level for a while? 

Don't want it but one positive would be, strangely enough, Financial. If we are found guilty of backdating the sale of the ground into too earlier a year then that will enter into the following year, improving the books. Can't be bothered to do the maths but it should give a bit of wriggle room financially.

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Went down in 1990 and we had arguably most enjoyable season since the Second World War afterwards.
Not that I want to go down and would be a bit embarrassing but not the end of the world.

We also went down in 1970, 1975, 2000, 2003 and 2010 and it was rubbish... 

Edited by alanharper
typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, domSWFC said:

Should we, (and let's hope we don't) go down would there be any positives? 

Lighten to wage load, higher earners leaving. 

Talented youngsters such as Hunt, Penney, Urgohide, Shaw, Brennan given more chance to develop. Da Cruz if he signed too maybe. 

Rebuild for a more sustainable future. 

Obviously this is all hypothetical, there's no guarantee that those players develop, no guarantee we don't get injuries, and certainly no guarantee we simply bounce back up without a hiccup. 

If we went down, would you be confident of a brighter future? If we stay up will we be aiming to consolidate at this level for a while? 

Not that I'm quoting you personally, but often people talk about getting relegated to "clear the deadwood".  It's complete rubbish.

You might well get rid of lots of players, but replacements would have to be found with a much lower budget from TV and attendance income.   There's nothing stopping us playing youngsters right now, nothing stopping us unearthing that hidden gem in League Two or the conference leagues.   

I would not trust League One to start (or complete) next season for a starters, and if it did, I wouldn't put money on Wednesday going up at the first attempt.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Not that I'm quoting you personally, but often people talk about getting relegated to "clear the deadwood".  It's complete rubbish.

You might well get rid of lots of players, but replacements would have to be found with a much lower budget from TV and attendance income.   There's nothing stopping us playing youngsters right now, nothing stopping us unearthing that hidden gem in League Two or the conference leagues.   

I would not trust League One to start (or complete) next season for a starters, and if it did, I wouldn't put money on Wednesday going up at the first attempt.  

Agree, lots of kids is not the place for lg1. Need players who are competitive, reffing standards are poorer along with the pitches. Then if you come back you need far better players for the Championship.

Can't say I ever preferred div 3 to being in the 1st or second tier.

3 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

It'll be super competitive next season in that league, Chansiri would spend to get us straight out of it if he ever wants his money back.

Sunderland are still there, despite having PL parachute payments for their first 2 seasons and buying a striker for a L1 record fee. 

• Thanks 1

Guest wilyfox

Relegation would be catastrophic. With all the financial uncertainty down there - and with our wage bill. Disastrous.

You also have to fight like mad in L1. Teams will NOT roll over & die. You have to work for a win with most teams wanting a piece of you. Character and dare I say the word "pashun" are an absolute given. Filling the side with kids might not be the way to go. Yes, by all means introduce some of them but we'll need some pro's in there too. Financially, be a bloody disaster to go down but we might not have the choice.

We wont get relegated, such a scenario would bring a legal challenge on the EFL like they've never seen before from DC. If this case goes to a proper court, we win and I suspect the EFL know that. Their best chance of saving face is a compromised deduction, if any at all, which doesn't affect our league status. 

No there would be no positives to going down to league one. League one is a horrible league with sh1tty teams that want to kick you off the pitch. Be a disgrace to go down again, bad enough if the players over a season aren’t good enough but the fact it would be because of the owners decisions would be unacceptable. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Went down in 1990 and we had arguably most enjoyable season since the Second World War afterwards.
Not that I want to go down and would be a bit embarrassing but not the end of the world.

But that was relegation to Division two effectively this would be relegation to division three.