New manager?

58 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

That's what I love about these 'New Manager' threads - the expectations are so unrealistic at times it's funny.

Allardyce isn't coming. Forget it. He's retired, and it would take a for more attractive offer than us to bring him out of retirement. The last time I checked, Ainsworth was employed. By a club who have just been promoted and who are on something of a roll.

It's so easy to say there are plenty of out of work managers who are better than Monk, but realistically are they going to come and manage a shambles like us? The better ones know they can wait for the right opportunity, and probably realise that coming to Hillsborough has plenty of risk and little reward. The others are probably out of work for a good reason. Honestly, I don't see any obvious candidates.

The risk of getting another bad manager is an entirely valid reason for holding onto Monk. At least he's a known quantity. Why take the risk of employing someone who is going to face exactly the same difficulties but may actually be worse at handling them? What would we do then?

The fact that Bruce and Monk himself came is proof that the people with the most negative views about Wednesday 'shambles like us' etc. are some of the posters on here.

Like you.

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Everything seems to be based on what people think Monk might do in the future, rather than anything we’ve actually seen so far

All I  can see is that we seem to have a plan for a change and the depleted squad are working hard and leaving nothing on the pitch...the EFL crap is nothing to do with Monk and without it we'd be mid-table and planning for next season. Before lockdown we looked as though we were going down without a plan or a fight and Monk has changed that.

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Everything seems to be based on what people think Monk might do in the future, rather than anything we’ve actually seen so far

A charge that could equally be applied to either side of the divide that people insist on widening.

4 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Steve Bruce was both available and looking for employment.

So is Sam Allardyce. And said in February he would manage in the Championship.

Not saying he would come but maybe you don't remember the state we were in when Jack Charlton came. 

I still believe Wednesday still has a pull. You don't get owt by being defeatist.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure that Allardyce would improve the football

2 hours ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Nor the financial situation.

Personally I dont think that Allardyce would come. However if he did, I would prepare to bet both of you that the results would improve.

His track record as a manager suggests that.

Lets not forget, just a few years ago, he was good enough to be named England manager and if he wasnt such a greedy / indiscreet chap then he probably would still have been in charge of the national side.

If we could get Allardyce to S6 it would be a tremendous coup.

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

The fact that Bruce and Monk himself came is proof that the people with the most negative views about Wednesday 'shambles like us' etc. are some of the posters on here.

Like you.

At risk of repeating myself, Bruce and Monk were both available and looking for work at the time we employed them.

In the case of Bruce, our dire circumstances weren't so evident at the time; he might think more carefully right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that no one will ever want the managers job at S6. But the best of the available candidates might decide they're better off passing on us and waiting for another opportunity.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Who are the players with the wrong attitude that need replacing? Monk left out Hutchinson and Westwood, then sidelined Forestieri. That didn’t work, things completely fell apart and we tumbled down the league so presumably they were not the main culprits, as our form got worse without them. 
There has been a slight improvement since Fox and Fletcher left, were they the ones with the bad attitude? I suspect not, in fact I think it’s all been a bit of a red herring, bandied about to try and deflect criticism from the inadequate tactics employed by the manager himself

I don't think it can be down to one person. It's just a fact of life that dynamics of groups can change, be it an office environment, sports team, whatever, sometimes for no particular reason other than people want a change. But often things like money and promotions cause unrest in a group.

I think a number of players spent too much time looking at what other people were on rather than buckling down and working hard to win themselves an improved deal.once you start that game the group unity is lost.

If we had managed the squad more sensibly, by moving players out for profit to bring new faces in we may not be in this position now.

One thing I'd like to see is a proper wage structure like Arsenal had for years. You might be Jimmy big testicles, but you can't earn more than a certain amount here.

Like I've said before, the manager is one small part of our issues. We need a root and branch change of all aspects of our club.

It's pointless changing the manager again without getting rid of the owner and his whole rotten entourage. 

There needs to be a clear out right through the club and a fresh start free of blacklists, signing players and never playing them. We need someone who can use his subs properly 

We need an owner that doesn't do team talks and pick the team 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

At risk of repeating myself, Bruce and Monk were both available and looking for work at the time we employed them.

In the case of Bruce, our dire circumstances weren't so evident at the time; he might think more carefully right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that no one will ever want the managers job at S6. But the best of the available candidates might decide they're better off passing on us and waiting for another opportunity.

Just like Chris Hughton

16 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

It's pointless changing the manager again without getting rid of the owner and his whole rotten entourage. 

There needs to be a clear out right through the club and a fresh start free of blacklists, signing players and never playing them. We need someone who can use his subs properly 

Agreed but in leui of that happening we need a strong manager whontakes no poo. Thats what Bruce was good at and why he did so well. We need manager's at Wednesday not coaches.

It depends what league we're in next season as to what I would do but lets be hopefull and say we stay up. For me Monk has to go. Its likely the Saudi owners get rid of Bruce so donwe forgive him and give him another shot? I'd be all for that but he's not going to fizzing Sri Lanka first or wherever the first test is this time.

26 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Here he is,Mr make shyte up 69.

• Haha 1

I had real concerns about appointing Monk, and all of those were realised with our form post Christmas  

However, I don’t want any more upheaval than we will have anyway, so I said before the restart, if Monk can turn things around, then maybe we should stick with him. 
There have definitely been signs of improvement of late, not Wigan style improvement, nor even Luton, but we aren’t as bad as we were before the lock down. Another sliver of hope, is the players we’ve been linked with, I’ve generally been happy with most of the names we’ve been linked with. 
Of course, we’ll have to see if those moves transpire, a lot will depend on what division we are in next season. I guess then it’s whether or not he takes us down. If he does, then for me his position would be untenable, and he’d have to go

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Not sure but he's definitely said that after the re-start he wanted to get on the front foot more. Be more attacking minded. I think we have seen signs (without a great deal of good fortune IMO) but also we've been hampered by the depleted squad.

Without doubt the contract situation has hampered us, but I still have reservations about the system We didn’t exactly see a masterclass of attacking football against lowly Huddersfield. 

1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

855.gif

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

True but, then again, neither have we with first Fletcher departing and Wickham injured. 

I think Tom Lees was arguably the biggest reason why Huddersfield couldn't penetrate us. He was outstanding IMO.

Although, let’s not forget Campbell’s miss, when it was easier to score