New manager?

4 minutes ago, Django said:

The fact that Monk wasted Middlesbrough’s entire parachute payment war chest, doesn’t fill me with any confidence that he’s the man to rebuild our squad for the long term

Shhhhsh, we not allowed to mention that he's been sacked/left 4 clubs in 5 years.

And on a terrible relegation form 6 month run with us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Just for a bit of context. In the Premier League, Monk averaged 1.31 points per game, McCarthy 0.79.

I’d definitely class McCarthy as a lower league manager, much like Bassett and Warnock

9 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Shhhhsh, we not allowed to mention that he's been sacked/left 4 clubs in 5 years.

And on a terrible relegation form 6 month run with us.

Also on the other hand he’s had to work for some really unstable clubs in Leeds, Birmingham and Wednesday 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

McCarthy is just sooooo boring and plays boring football. My many Ipswich friends were glad to see the back of him. 

I think the collapse since his departure shows what a good job he did there

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

They had already collapsed. Boring negative football. Do you want more of that?

I recently read that he spent £4m at Ipswich in 4 years and after keeping them up in his first season they finished 9th,6th and 7th. Not bad on a budget imo

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Like Monk at Birmingham?

:ph34r:

I’m not disputing that Monk did a good job at Birmingham. The run since Christmas is very concerning though and doubts have crept in for me

5 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Paul Cooke..he’s leavin Wigan at the end of the season..it’s a no brainer

Decent managers with good decent records won’t come here . Why would they ? They know they’d have a muppet of an owner to answer to , limited funds and a really poor squad 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Django said:

The fact that Monk wasted Middlesbrough’s entire parachute payment war chest, doesn’t fill me with any confidence that he’s the man to rebuild our squad for the long term

How much did he spend at Boro ? They were already 12m better off when they sold Reach and Rhodes to us.

Guest Jack the Hat

For me the best two for us would be either Bruce or Nigel Pearson. But as neither of these are possibilities then I’m struggling to come up with anyone. Don’t like Monk but would prefer him to McCarthy . 

3 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Paul Cooke..he’s leavin Wigan at the end of the season..it’s a no brainer

Was one of my preferred choices when Bruce left us in the lurch. Monk was a disastrous backwards appointment. Cook seems to get limited teams in terms of quality and budget, and seems to improve them and get them playing well despite the constraints. Our job is a difficult one, with our owner and P&S but that doesn't make our results during the 2nd half of the season acceptable. A decent manager that knows this level and can work with a tight budget, wouldn't have waved the white flags after Christmas.

I don't see Monk as the answer long term, especially since he hasn't stayed long term in any of his previous jobs. We as a club need to smarten up off the pitch, operate more sustainably and build a more of a second tier team (by that I mean a younger, more athletic and battle hardened side) and we need to start selling players or bringing in players to make a profit. Despite all of our off the field deficiencies as a club, football is a results business and results simply have been abysmal after Christmas, a rebuild is needed along with a new manager and/or a DOF to efficiently carry out that rebuilding process long term, Monk isn't the right man for a long term job. 

• Like 1