People that call for a new manager every few months: what do you hope it will achieve?

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure most of the Boro players would fall into that category, but get a more competent manager in, and they appear totally different players

Warnock is an excellent manager at this level, one of the best. His record speaks for itself, we couldnt attract anyone of his calibre if we wanted to. We still have nobody who is going to score the goals this season.

7 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Why was SB, able to take us in the right direction under DC?

Can we attract another steve bruce? Doubt it. He had more players available than Monk has now, he also had another coach helping him.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

...….we couldnt attract anyone of his calibre if we wanted to.

That's something that those calling for Monks head seem happy to overlook. Despite what some of our fans seem to think, the managerial position at SWFC is not highly prized, and good calibre managers are not going to beat a path to our door simply for the privilege of working for us.

I've no doubt that there are managers who could do a better job than Monk with the same resources. But the questions you need to ask are:

1) Who are they? Who is out there who clearly and obviously has the right attributes?

2) Are they available for employment?

3) Even if they are, would they come?

I can think of no one, off the top of my head, who satisfies all three of the above.

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He was here about 8 minutes mate

It was 6 months, enough to see how things were changing & optimism came in.

That what top managers do, & why they are in demand. It wasn't DCs or Bruce's fault that the nufc offer came in.

Monk isn't doing well 

Just now, zzmdu said:

It was 6 months, enough to see how things were changing & optimism came in.

That what top managers do, & why they are in demand. It wasn't DCs or Bruce's fault that the nufc offer came in.

Monk isn't doing well 

Monk isn't doing well

Before Christmas he was doing better than Steve Bruce did.

Referring to Bruce's time at the club can be counteracted by simply pointing to Garry Monk having a better win record than Carlos,  Big Ron  etc in the run up to Christmas

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk isn't doing well

Before Christmas he was doing better than Steve Bruce did.

Referring to Bruce's time at the club can be counteracted by simply pointing to Garry Monk having a better win record than Carlos,  Big Ron  etc in the run up to Christmas

You're right Monk did well for his first 5 months in charge.

How much was down to Bruce's improvements or Monks ability is difficult to determine.

The capitulation over the last 6 months suggests the former, together with Monks failure to succeed in the long term at his other clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Ahhhh I see.

Does that mean Carlos first season was the result of the previous manager's efforts then?

Any new manager has to take over the previous managers squad & culture. I've not said anything radical.

I know you have blind faith in Monk. But read this & let in sink in: Monk has been a manager for 6 years & is on a terrible run with his 5TH club.

He has managed 1 good full season (his 1st), which quickly went down south in his second season, sacked after a disastrous run.

Just now, zzmdu said:

I know you have blind faith in Monk.

I really really don't

If Monk gets sacked this morning I fully understand why some might think that's a good thing. It's a results based business and the results are what determines your longevity.

However I'd say there are some serious significant and massive mitigating factors at this football club

I'd also suggest that if we removed this manager then we are at the mercy of the same people recruiting the next one, at a time this club looks perilous on all fronts, and I'd question any capable experienced manager seeing coming here as a good move for them 

Owlstalk Shop

Changing the manager right now might give us a short term boost in terms of results but in the medium to long term, nothing will change at this club while ever there is no change in the boardroom.

If we were to sack Garry Monk today, in 8-12 months time I guarantee you fans would be calling for the next managers head.

Until Dejphon Chansiri either sells up or brings in some new advisors who understand football and have the best interests of the club at heart, nothing will change for the better at Hillsborough.

This in my view is the sad reality of the situation.

We completely lack successful, experienced football people throughout the club. We need someone like Paul Aldridge to rebuild the club. Good owners surround themselves with people with experience and knowhow. DC is clueless about running a football business (any business?) and clearly thinks he can do it himself. He had been and is incredibly arrogant and stupid thinking he does not need experienced support. 

At the beginning of the season we had a decent squad of players capable of a top half finish. No plan, no infrastructure has left us in a complete mess needing a complete rebuild of the squad. The man to do that is clearly not Monk. He has improved results at most of his clubs in his first few months, but soon he’s been taking them all backwards. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Changing the manager right now might give us a short term boost in terms of results but in the medium to long term, nothing will change at this club while ever there is no change in the boardroom.

If we were to sack Garry Monk today, in 8-12 months time I guarantee you fans would be calling for the next managers head.

Until Dejphon Chansiri either sells up or brings in some new advisors who understand football and have the best interests of the club at heart, nothing will change for the better at Hillsborough.

This in my view is the sad reality of the situation.

Agree with most of that, but Monk had basically proven that he will never be the man to take this or any other Championship club forward over a period of time. With some luck, DC may stumble across a decent manager to oversee an overhaul of the squad. With Monk in charge, any decent squad building won’t happen. 

Edited by Shezza

We need a structure, starting with a competant CEO and scouting/procurement setup.

A good backroom / medical team. A realistic plan with budgets.

Maybe Monk is not performing but what does he have to work with?