People that call for a new manager every few months: what do you hope it will achieve?

I only call for a new manager when it is clear the current one cannot take us any further.

I agree with all the stability arguments but that only works when you have a decent manager. Garry Monk isnt a decent manager.

I didnt want monk but when we got him i backed him, however what happened was what i expected although it has happened much quicker than i expected.

He should have been sacked in February.

• Like 4

I don't call for our managers to be sacked.... i didn't even seek Luhukay's dismissal ,but wasn't  disappointed when he went. 

This is different however.   Monk, i understand,  apparently is on a short term contract , so for him to be here next season involves the physical act of renewing that contract ? 

Next season , regardless of what league we are in, will be the start of a new era.  New players, new squad .....   I just don't want Monk to be a part of it.   I don't trust his judgement and ability,  He seems to be always one argument away from losing the dressing room.    If we are going to start with a clean slate ,  do it across the board. 

• Like 1

This is easily the shortest amount of time I have given a manager, and I have seen a lot.

I believe we should give them enough time and I always find an excuse for keeping them for longer.

In his case he hasnt got his own coaching squad and he hasnt had more than 1 transfer window.

BUT, his record since Christmas is absolutely horrendous and there seems little evidence of an improvement post lockdown and the creme de la creme for me was the resigning of Pelupessy.

We are in a downward spiral and the only thing that makes me hesitate is the chances of Chansiri making a good managerial appointment. So far, with the exception of Bruce its been a disaster (and I include Carlos in that).

• Like 2

It's pretty simple. Find one that does thr right things and makes the right decisions. Bruce seemed like that man but he left through no fault of the club. 

Monk has continually made bad decisions and they've caused us to go from 3rd at Christmas to having the threat of relegation. That's all with the same group of players that he has managed, frozen out and set up for games. All these 'bad eggs' that we had starting at that point helped us to be pushing for promotion and since Monk has supposedly tried to help the upset in the camp it has literally done the opposite. That in itself is incompetence to use the assets you have in the best possible why. Luhukay did the same which is why he left. 

I'm all for giving a manager time if they actually prove that with time they can improve the team however from what I have seen I do not trust one bit to do this and therefore think finding someone else is the right thing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, billyblack said:

So that hasnt answered the question in what it will achieve. You said it yourself, DC will still be here, thats the issue.

Sadly I don’t see an answer unless DC chooses to move on .. i don’t like it but I’ll just have to accept it

I would normally be against chopping & changing managers in short order.....then I look across the city....Sheffield United went through a horror list of managers at 100mph, Mcsue had no idea, then he jags Wilder, he didn't even want him at first.

They stumbled into the perfect fit for them & for me that's what we are waiting for...we need another Wilko or better...not easy to achieve, down to luck really...maybe one day.

• Like 1

Guest Theboylangers
15 hours ago, edwinowl said:

Boro managed it. They’ll overtake us shortly. 

15 hours ago, billyblack said:

yep, better players, better squad. Our fans didnt want Warnock. Couldnt get over their own issues.

Is this Middlesbrough who are currently 5 points behind us, despite their better players and better squad? 

If they're going to overtake us, they'd better get on with it, there's only 4 games to go to make up a 5 point deficit.

Put another way, if we were 5 points off the play offs with 4 games to go, would anyone be confident we'd end up in the play offs?

No. 

Plus there is all the other dross down below us, no doubt some of whom have to play each other. That's without Wigan getting points deducted. 

We are safe IF we don't get a points deduction. 

As for Monk, I think he is struggling badly, needs help and leadership which is not forthcoming. 

Edited by Theboylangers
Extra paragraph

I haven't seen anything from Monk that makes me think he would be a good long term choice.

I would imagine all football clubs have players who have questionable attititudes, but you don't just fall out with them and create rifts. You are employed to manage these characters and get the best out of them for the good of the club, I think he has shown he can't handle these sort of personalities.

His tactics and team selection are awful at times, if it wasn't for teams taking their foot off the gas at half time we would have had some horrendous beatings before covid.

His inabilty to spot problems and take action to correct them are so poor, he has made very few positive substitutions or tactical changes during matches yet other managers do it all to us all of the time.

I accept that he his working without his own backroom staff which makes his job more difficult but I just can't see any positives in keeping him and hoping that with his own team he will be a success.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Absolutely spot on.

Monk.  Isn't good enough. Its been proved here and elsewhere. Otherwise he would have been in a job.

DC.. well meaning in a PR sense .. just hasn't got the knowledge patience nor humility to learn. Nothing changes.

The players.

A bunch of entitled losers. None with the bottle nor mental strength for a fight  large it up everywhere they go, when, they really are failures at what they do.

No interest or self respect in fighting for the team. Though  that, is down to the manager and coaching staff.. Lee Bullen. .. needs to go. A yes man of the highest order... appreciate his time with the club, but...he has to go. 

From top to bottom. The club needs a complete reappraisal.

An owner smarting from his experiences with pro football and taken as a fool by so many. Thr club needs a no nonsense manager that grinds out results and can motivate.  I fear that we will end up being relegated by that sort of manager the end of the season. That, would be the barbed wire on the cake.....not the icing.

There’s me thinking that the good Mr Monk was ripping out the dead wood in order to rebuild the team. Of course, the end of season is somewhat prejudiced by out of contract players leaving and just having youngsters and out of favour players to fill the gaps- how many of those were brought here by Monk?

This has to be the hardest job in the Championship. Gutting a failing team under the cloud of a points deduction, with little in the way of backup from a depleted squad. ( there must be loads of managers out there willing to risk their reputations at this point by coming to Hillsborough)

Now I don’t mind people on here expressing opinions- we all care for SWFC- but the bile directed at the Chairman ( Without whom we would be in deep kack ) and a manager who is working with nothing - is way beyond reasonable. It’s about time we all realised that this has been a long time coming and most of it has not been the fault of Gary Monk. 

I think we need to give him a transfer window and a set of his own players in pre-season. If we are in League 1 so be it, but that will not be Gary Monk’s fault either!

Monk IS good enough. He has a job and we should support him. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I agree with this, I’m not sure if it’s the players (many that you mention here) that are at fault as they are playing well within themselves or is it the manager for failing to motivate, get the most out of, take underperforming ‘stars’ out of the team. 

We are at a critical junction now, even before this pandemic we had a real opportunity to ditch a good chunk of players at end of their deals, manager too!  But even more so now, with other clubs cutting cloths accordingly I think there could be an influx of players now available. 

I just hope we have a long term plan, and the nerve to stick to it. Hoping that wasn’t Monk and his less than a season contract.

I want to see 3,4,5 year deal for someone so they know they’ve got the backing and players know the coach is going to outlive them, I fear at present a lot of our mob are going through motions thinking he’ll be gone soon. 

So you would give J L or CC or monk a long deal ?

3 hours ago, Elderly Owl said:

There’s me thinking that the good Mr Monk was ripping out the dead wood in order to rebuild the team. Of course, the end of season is somewhat prejudiced by out of contract players leaving and just having youngsters and out of favour players to fill the gaps- how many of those were brought here by Monk?

This has to be the hardest job in the Championship. Gutting a failing team under the cloud of a points deduction, with little in the way of backup from a depleted squad. ( there must be loads of managers out there willing to risk their reputations at this point by coming to Hillsborough)

Now I don’t mind people on here expressing opinions- we all care for SWFC- but the bile directed at the Chairman ( Without whom we would be in deep kack ) and a manager who is working with nothing - is way beyond reasonable. It’s about time we all realised that this has been a long time coming and most of it has not been the fault of Gary Monk. 

I think we need to give him a transfer window and a set of his own players in pre-season. If we are in League 1 so be it, but that will not be Gary Monk’s fault either!

Monk IS good enough. He has a job and we should support him. 

Hello Gary... lol

Monk ?  Good enough ?

Good grief. Take a look at his record. Take a look at our league standing  Take a look at the numerous other failures  including his woeful tactics...And stop believing his own hype.

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

Is this Middlesbrough who are currently 5 points behind us, despite their better players and better squad? 

If they're going to overtake us, they'd better get on with it, there's only 4 games to go to make up a 5 point deficit.

Put another way, if we were 5 points off the play offs with 4 games to go, would anyone be confident we'd end up in the play offs?

No. 

Plus there is all the other dross down below us, no doubt some of whom have to play each other. That's without Wigan getting points deducted. 

We are safe IF we don't get a points deduction. 

As for Monk, I think he is struggling badly, needs help and leadership which is not forthcoming. 

It's a bit different making up 5 points on the team in 6th who probably win more often than they lose or they wouldn't be in that position, and making up 5 points in 4 games on a team that's averaging 0.7 points per game over the last 19 games. At our current rate we'll finish on 55 and a strong finish from Middlesborough makes that achievable.

I honestly feel that one of the main issues of being a Sheff Wed fan right now, is the expectation.

An overriding feeling that we’re on our arse.

Which is obviously valid, but doesn’t help the cause. And I would put myself in that category too.

Our performances since lockdown have been underwhelming, even when we’ve earned points. 

Next thing is, It all comes down to whether we get a points deduction or not. A huge differentiator. 

Do I love Monk? No. But, do I think we could attract a better manager? Probably not. Without a leap of faith. 

But then I feel these days, more than ever, it’s more about man management, rather than just “working hard”. It’s about a team mentality and a belief. 

It’s the difference between Howe saying “we need to work harder” or Klopp saying “I like learning more about people; I like to talk to people.“

We feel on the depressing side of that right now, but a couple of wins and it will all change.

WAWAW

8 hours ago, the monk said:

So you would give J L or CC or monk a long deal ?

in hindsight it’s an obvious no, but the fact we hire managers on short term contracts adds to the problems in my opinion. It’s temp teacher syndrome, giving the players an easy way out. 

How many of our players seemingly get fresh starts over and over, every time a new manager turns up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OwlNightLong said:

I honestly feel that one of the main issues of being a Sheff Wed fan right now, is the expectation.

An overriding feeling that we’re on our arse.

Which is obviously valid, but doesn’t help the cause. And I would put myself in that category too.

Our performances since lockdown have been underwhelming, even when we’ve earned points. 

Next thing is, It all comes down to whether we get a points deduction or not. A huge differentiator. 

Do I love Monk? No. But, do I think we could attract a better manager? Probably not. Without a leap of faith. 

But then I feel these days, more than ever, it’s more about man management, rather than just “working hard”. It’s about a team mentality and a belief. 

It’s the difference between Howe saying “we need to work harder” or Klopp saying “I like learning more about people; I like to talk to people.“

We feel on the depressing side of that right now, but a couple of wins and it will all change.

WAWAW

Well, yes! It would be difficult for anyone to inspire and motivate when you don’t know whether you will get a 20 point, 12 point or three point deduction and the players who should be driving the club out of relegation worries have decided not to renew their contracts.