People that call for a new manager every few months: what do you hope it will achieve?

5 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

Over the years it’s driven me mad Hearing some people wanting to change the manager after a short period.

However, I really do think Monk should leave at the end of this season. Not just for the clubs benefit but his own too.

While ever DC is at the club we have a problem.

The club needs to look in the mirror.

Changing managers (and players)  is just putting out the fire Instead of dealing with the cause of the fire .. Chansiri

So that hasnt answered the question in what it will achieve. You said it yourself, DC will still be here, thats the issue.

I’m not really for firing managers and cling onto all for far too long, I’m not sure anyone else gets a tune out of this rabble right now. I’d certainly be looking at who’s available to replace him at the end of his contract though. And if that person is available now, then monk can go for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Getting rid of monk or any other manager wont fix our issues.

Not all them, most managerial appointments don’t Tactical nous, and winning games on the pitch is something that could clearly be improved though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not all them, most managerial appointments don’t Tactical nous, and winning games on the pitch is something that could clearly be improved though

Winning would be nice, but look at the squad, midfield and forwards especially, where are the goals??

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Winning would be nice, but look at the squad, midfield and forwards especially, where are the goals??

Even allowing for the players he sidelined, or lost, a manager who can call on the likes of Bannan, Luongo, Murphy, Reach, Wickham, and even Rhodes, should be achieving much more than he has

• Like 4

The culture at any workplace starts from the top. It's hard to determine if a new manager would change anything - maybe enough to steer us clear now but in the long run, it could only act as a small bandage to a serious hemorrhage bleeding from the top branch. No decent manager would want to touch us right now already because of all the issues outside the actual football pitch, and I'm not even sure if any are available. My prediction is that we see a long term plan with a long term manager after DC, before that, it is going to be this madness we've witnessed for the last season or two.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Even allowing for the players he sidelined, or lost, a manager who can call on the likes of Bannan, Luongo, Murphy, Reach, Wickham, and even Rhodes, should be achieving much more than he has

I agree with this, I’m not sure if it’s the players (many that you mention here) that are at fault as they are playing well within themselves or is it the manager for failing to motivate, get the most out of, take underperforming ‘stars’ out of the team. 

We are at a critical junction now, even before this pandemic we had a real opportunity to ditch a good chunk of players at end of their deals, manager too!  But even more so now, with other clubs cutting cloths accordingly I think there could be an influx of players now available. 

I just hope we have a long term plan, and the nerve to stick to it. Hoping that wasn’t Monk and his less than a season contract.

I want to see 3,4,5 year deal for someone so they know they’ve got the backing and players know the coach is going to outlive them, I fear at present a lot of our mob are going through motions thinking he’ll be gone soon. 

Edited by Philb125

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Tbf, if the question is “where are goals going to come from?” - I think we can discount Rhodes from that list.

Iorfa and Borner are more of a goal-threat than Mr £1 million quid per goal.

Guest mkowl

That is the nub Finnishowl. Management starts at the top with setting the strategic direction of the club, having a plan of how you set out to achieve it, that the manager / head coach is a cog in that wheel. That they may become a key part of that team but in the knowledge that they won't be allowed to unduly influence that strategy.

So the managers role is to develop, motivate and improve technically the squad of players the Club as at any time. 

Monk has categorically failed in that job 

However he gets away with it because there isn't a strategy, he can heavily influence what it is as well.

He is part of the overall malaise at the club. If Wednesday were a dog it would be put down to stop the suffering

5 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

If a monk goes now it would just be Bullen in charge for the last 4 games - what’s the point?! No interim manager would come in for 4 games with matches coming thick and fast.

Boro managed it. They’ll overtake us shortly. 

2 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

The culture at any workplace starts from the top. It's hard to determine if a new manager would change anything - maybe enough to steer us clear now but in the long run, it could only act as a small bandage to a serious hemorrhage bleeding from the top branch. No decent manager would want to touch us right now already because of all the issues outside the actual football pitch, and I'm not even sure if any are available. My prediction is that we see a long term plan with a long term manager after DC, before that, it is going to be this madness we've witnessed for the last season or two.

I think you are right, but the game, particularly now, is littered with owners who are making mistakes, and poor choices Generally they aren’t football men, though sometimes you wonder how they even became business men. A lot though have stumbled on the right appointment, and their club has gone on to be successful. 
Again you are right, we are not an attractive proposition right now, for any decent tried and tested manager, though that doesn’t mean we have to keep a totally inept one in place. We may have to look at another way of doing things, and sadly, the catalyst for that might be relegation. 
If we go down, it may be easier to take a risk on an up and coming young manager from the lower divisions. Of course that will be a risk, but it may be our only option. I’ve seen others caution against that, pointing to the Danny Wilson experience. Well it’s a bit different, as we wouldn’t be entrusting a successful lower league manager with the reins of a Premier League club. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

why? Rhodes, give me strength. Wickham hasnt been fit yet, just about getting there. Luongo, been injured a lot. Reach, overrated. Bannan, never been a prolific goal scorer. Murphy just getting into his stride but been poor a lot of the season. The squad isnt creative or good enough. We also have a lack of attacking coaches.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think you are right, but the game, particularly now, is littered with owners who are making mistakes, and poor choices Generally they aren’t football men, though sometimes you wonder how they even became business men. A lot though have stumbled on the right appointment, and their club has gone on to be successful. 
Again you are right, we are not an attractive proposition right now, for any decent tried and tested manager, though that doesn’t mean we have to keep a totally inept one in place. We may have to look at another way of doing things, and sadly, the catalyst for that might be relegation. 
If we go down, it may be easier to take a risk on an up and coming young manager from the lower divisions. Of course that will be a risk, but it may be our only option. I’ve seen others caution against that, pointing to the Danny Wilson experience. Well it’s a bit different, as we wouldn’t be entrusting a successful lower league manager with the reins of a Premier League club. 

why is he inept? I dont know if hes any good yet, but the tools he has arent the best and his options are limited. Hardly a good foundation for any manager. Easy to point the finger at him.

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

why? Rhodes, give me strength. Wickham hasnt been fit yet, just about getting there. Luongo, been injured a lot. Reach, overrated. Bannan, never been a prolific goal scorer. Murphy just getting into his stride but been poor a lot of the season. The squad isnt creative or good enough. We also have a lack of attacking coaches.

I’m sure most of the Boro players would fall into that category, but get a more competent manager in, and they appear totally different players

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I've also often wondered about those businessmen. Sometimes they resemble celebrities who suddenly think they can launch a successful restaurant franchise "just because" and fail miserably.

I believe that a successful businessman is humble and knows where he/she is coming from. They are smart and humble enough to admit that they don't know everything and they don't need to. That's why they must have their trusted right hand people who can run the businesses for them. We had Katrien, who I considered to be a very intelligent person, but who probably was seriously restricted in her work by DC. She could have been the catalyst to do things -- the game and the playground itself is a very different one compared to what it was in the 90s or so. You need to have those smart, dynamic people running the show and allow those working with the actual football matters to work without external disruption.

I've written earlier that relegation would be a turning point for us, after that it would be the time to do some serious thinking..provided that we survived.

2 hours ago, zzmdu said:

We had one of the best, if not  the best Championship managers, who under DC, was taking us forward.

He left for a job in the Prem.

We went with a failing manager, who is doing the same here.

I know.

The day Carlos left for Swansea was a sad day.

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Can waffle on about managers as much as you like it won’t make a difference . Whilst ever chansiri is here , club will get worse and worse . He is the problem , he’s created this , he isn’t upto the task and he is the one responsible for the club sinking faster than a Jim Davidson stand up routine 

Why was SB, able to take us in the right direction under DC?