Where are the goals coming from?

49 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Certainly it presents us with many difficulties. Monk will need to have the recruitment skills of Arry Redknapp, if he is to assemble an effective collection of strikers on zero budget

Which he doesnt have!

Get rid of him ASAP

• Like 1

We relied a lot on fletcher. Soon as he was injured at Christmas the goals have been hard to come by.

i will say I think fletcher is the most disgraceful  footballer in our history. He has earned a fortune in his 4 years here, been constantly crocked, and yet couldn’t see us safe by staying in for 6 more weeks. A total disgrace of a man.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, whatdial said:

Our midfield doesn’t get in the box and break the lines enough. We’ve had the problem for years. No true box to box player. We need someone that gets 10 goals from centre mid and haven’t had one of them for years

our m/f is so bad that at times we've had to strip the attack to supplement the m/f with larger numbers.

now we're looking at 3 at the back to allow 2 up, but it's still m/f failings causing the problems.

no one with 'drive' in there, no one gets up to support the attack, little or no m/f shooting.

As unusual some massive overreactions but its a good point.

I dont think its rocket science though why we score loads more away than at home.

Monk turned us into a counter attacking side playing two out and out wide men.

At Hillsborough teams full backs and midfield players sit back, wait for us to attack and pick us off when we ineffectually ******** around on the 30 yard mark. It happens all the time. Away from home we have more space to get wide and put a cross in usually. Just look at the lockdown games.

Monk hasn't got the managerial chops or the players to change it.

That and we had one decent striker and hes gone.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

we're better at counter attacking.

You might think so, given our away/home record, but according to Whoscored we haven't scored a counter-attack goal this season:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7840/Stages/17629/TeamStatistics/England-Championship-2019-2020

There's more analysis at https://experimental361.com/2020/03/17/scatter-graphics-championship-17-mar-2020/

Notably, our figures for both shots taken/faced and expected goals scored/allowed there aren't actually that bad. Our home record is a bit odd. The statistics at Whoscored show that while our shooting record isn't great, it's not awful. It just seems that we consistently fail to do well in key areas. Plus, as we mentioned the other day, we have a terrible record for fouls. We give up tons of free kicks, but hardly win any ourselves. On the other hand, that's an issue both at home and away. 

Edited by Sova
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Goal scoring at home really has been shocking. Monk really needs to address this in the summer. 

It makes a huge difference to the whole psychology of the team, club and supporters.

Most fans go to only home games, it is imperative to have a fortress so folk go home happy and the general buzz around the club is positive.

Generally speaking the awayday experience is different, loads are there for a day out and a good result is more of a bonus.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We relied a lot on fletcher. Soon as he was injured at Christmas the goals have been hard to come by.

i will say I think fletcher is the most disgraceful  footballer in our history. He has earned a fortune in his 4 years here, been constantly crocked, and yet couldn’t see us safe by staying in for 6 more weeks. A total disgrace of a man.

he's signed up with someone else (as long as he's fit), you're smart enough to know these badge kissers are mercenaries.

was it another b***sup in recruitment?, buying him at £40kpw has limited us in spending on others, as the initial 2016 side got older, and more past it's time, he has carried our attack, but what could that £40kpw have funded elsewhere?

with rhodes and winnall not firing, and nuhiu being nuhiu, fletcher has done some job, but could/would the money have been spent wiser/better?

33 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

SHOCKINGLY BAD squad inherited.

This is the new excuse and it isn't factually or statistically correct. 

31 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I stuck up for him as a Player of the Season a week or so ago but you’re right and I was wrong.  @zzmdu was right too.

He’s an absolutewanker like a few others recently....

04E4AD2C-5ECA-4510-B8FA-58B4B50FD062.jpeg

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Even more shocking when you think we have the creative talents of Bannan and Luongo in midfield, and can call on the likes of Murphy, Reach and Harris to supply the width

Have you look at what Harris has given to the team since Brenford at home in December. 0 assist, 0 goals - 17 games. before that 21 games 3 goals, 3 assists.

He play every game if fit but aid little if nothing to the end product of the team.  Reach get 1 game back after being injured for 3 months and there are calls to drop him.

• Like 2

Further evidence: we're 4th for expected goals. The figures for expected goals for and against aren't massively different to our actual figures - 4 more goals for, 6 fewer against, but it really underlines once again the importance of putting the ball in the net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonofbert2 said:

Yet we’ve scored more away goals than any other team in the league this season.

It’s weird.

I wasn't aware of this until last week - what does this actually mean?

It shows we do have the ability to score goals, being the top scoring away team is no mean feat and you would expect the highest scoring away team to be there or there about come the end of the season.

What a strange club we are. lol

• Like 1

Gray had it right though really. We became so difficult to beat. Then Carlos came along, gave us some firepower and attacking style and we were tearing teams apart.

Problem with that method is Gray lost his job because of the quality of football and our fans turn on managers who play defensive football.

Oddly with no fans to show their opinion at games, Monk has a bit of time to build this defensive style. Sadly our players aren't right for it, so needs time.

49 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Have you look at what Harris has given to the team since Brenford at home in December. 0 assist, 0 goals - 17 games. before that 21 games 3 goals, 3 assists.

He play every game if fit but aid little if nothing to the end product of the team.  Reach get 1 game back after being injured for 3 months and there are calls to drop him.

Quite right, we don’t get the best out of any of them, and that probably includes Bannan

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

and no finishers, with fletcher out injured for half the season, and wickham arriving non match fit.

when we had one sole striker of any worth (fletcher) playing, we were in third place.

i could go on to say i cannot believe some of our support cannot see it, but it's more of a case of wanting to overlook it, and just constantly blaming the present manager for the previous failings.

For me that was also an issue, the sole focus of our attacking ambitions were to look for Fletcher’s head. What about dying to play through the lines, or looking for balls inside the full backs, having a willing workhorse as our lone striker really limited our options. I’m hoping Monk will see the folly of his ways, and steer away from that type of approach Can’t say I’m too optimistic though

With limited resources,and the potential to blow out again on 'fair play' rules...I would like to see Monk play a direct style of football,with the emphasis on getting the ball forward as quickly,and as often,as possible into the oppositions final third.Than i would like it crossed into the box with(currently) CW/Big Dave as main target man.Many will hate this i know,but its pointless playing tip tap football,which leads to us just losing the ball,and(very often) the opposition scoring.or us giving away a slopppy penalty....This should be underpinned by more effective dead ball use,corners,free kicks,and(wheres?) long throws...Idea being to win as many cross's as possible,and if not creating a goal scoring chance,to maybe head the ball on(as Sharp did Sat) and either create a goal scoring chance for someone else,OR force an error from a defender.(more Penaltys?) Under Wilkinson it was common to see our players run into a corner,or deliberately play the ball off an opponent to win corners/free kicks in,or near the oppos Goal....Made the best use of our limitations at the time,the players understood the systym,and what was required of them,and as we all know it worked.....Need wingbacks etc to consistently overlap forward,leading hopefully to always having someone in the box unmarked THOUGHTS?

Edited by parajack

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For me that was also an issue, the sole focus of our attacking ambitions were to look for Fletcher’s head. What about dying to play through the lines, or looking for balls inside the full backs, having a willing workhorse as our lone striker really limited our options. I’m hoping Monk will see the folly of his ways, and steer away from that type of approach Can’t say I’m too optimistic though

tbh, i don't know that much about garry monk, but i'll hazard a guess that he knows more about football tactics, and strategy than you, i, and many more on here.

i also imagine he'll know more about our squad than we do, and on that footing i'll assume you're wrong, and he's not. 

8 minutes ago, parajack said:

With limited resources,and the potential to blow out again on 'fair play' rules...I would like to see Monk play a direct style of football,with the emphasis on getting the ball forward as quickly,and as often,as possible into the oppositions final third.Than i would like it crossed into the box with(currently) CW/Big Dave as main target man.Many will hate this i know,but its pointless playing tip tap football,which leads to us just losing the ball,and(very often) the opposition scoring.or us giving away a slopppy penalty....This should be underpinned by more effective dead ball use,corners,free kicks,and(wheres?) long throws...Idea being to win as many cross's as possible,and if not creating a goal scoring chance,to maybe head the ball on(as Sharp did Sat) and either create a goal scoring chance for someone else,OR force an error from a defender.(more Penaltys?) Under Wilkinson it was common to see our players run into a corner,or deliberately play the ball off an opponent to win corners/free kicks in,or near the oppos Goal....Made the best use of our limitations at the time,the players understood the systym,and what was required of them,and as we all know it worked.....Need wingbacks etc to consistently overlap forward,leading hopefully to always having someone in the box unmarked THOUGHTS?

Under Monk we have rarely seen tippy tappy football. He regularly opts for hoofball/direct style. Improving dead ball deliveries should be a given, Da Cruz tends to put a good ball in, Bannan like Murphy should do but most of the time fails to.