Swansea- V - Wednesday OMDT

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Has he shown ANY signs that he's capable of this?

How can he show any signs he’s had ONE transfer window, which was a January window too.

People need to have some patience. Only a points deductions will see us in the relegation race. And for all his spending at Boro, he can’t be blamed for the overspending here can he. 

Stuff like "Monk lovers" is just a childish method of reducing an alternative viewpoint without any effort in engaging with it. And in any event, it seems to me that no one actually "loves" him anyway. I often defend our current manager (whoever he happens to be) as so much of the criticism is the intellectual equivalent of someone having a tantrum because they haven't been given what they want.

As it happens, I'm ambivalent about his long term status, but I at least recognise he has been given a lot to deal with but without having the tools required to do it effectively. Whether he'd be able to with a freer hand is pretty much conjecture at this point. I just get weary of the same pouting, cliches, assumptions, demonising and half truths from people who collectively have little idea of what is required of the role to begin with.

Today, we could have had a good lead before half time and who knows how the game would have gone then? Our poor finishing has been a feature of the season and is costing us frequently.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NeonLeon said:

How can he show any signs he’s had ONE transfer window, which was a January window too.

People need to have some patience. Only a points deductions will see us in the relegation race. And for all his spending at Boro, he can’t be blamed for the overspending here can he. 

It's not just the transfer windows its about getting the best out of what players you already have, he's shown he isn't up to this.

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

What does "we need to give ourselves a bit more chance of the dynamic side of things" mean, I don't have a clue ! 

I love a good riddle but don’t know where to start with this one

3 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

It's not just the transfer windows its about getting the best out of what players you already have, he's shown he isn't up to this.

Before he came in the players had shown several times they weren’t upto it regardless of who was managing them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, full fathom five said:

Bruce seemed to manage it

After hitting the ground running, his last 9 games went W3 D3 L3, so we were hardly soaring at the end of the season. In fact, that's the very definition of average. He clearly has a better track record than Monk but there is no guarantee he would have fared a whole lot better.

• Like 2

I don't think it's Monk's fault that Murphy and Da Cruz are missing their shooting boots/right decision-making. It's not Monk's fault, even, that we don't have squad depth.

What Monk does do is sort structure and tactics, both of which I think have been looking good (I'd even say really good) since the restart.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

After hitting the ground running, his last 9 games went W3 D3 L3, so we were hardly soaring at the end of the season. In fact, that's the very definition of average. He clearly has a better track record than Monk but there is no guarantee he would have fared a whole lot better.

No we weren't soaring but you could see a definite structure and purpose to how we played, something that's been seriously lacking in Monks tenure.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

How can someone with so much skill be incapable of taking bluddy corners?

He doesn't practise enough or flaps in a real game situation. Can't be any other reason.