• Bannan
    • Fox
    • Da Cruz
    • Odubajo
    • Pelupessy
    • Nuhiu

42 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Fair play Owls, deserved winners today.

Hopefully your win will rid us of the odious Lee Johnson.

MOTM for me, by a country mile, again, Barry Bannan, what a player he is. 

I though Wickham looked more like his old self as well, a right handful.

Apologies we didn't really give you a game and make a spectacle of it but take nothing away, you were easily deserved winners.

See you next season. 

We have supporters who don't see how good he is

So it's nice when an opposition supporter reminds them

Good luck for the rest of the season

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Wildsmith 8 - Some good saves, unlucky on there goal

Palmer 6 - would be 7 but should of done better on there goal

Harris 4 - Please just whip the ball into the box, always cuts inside then runs backwards

Luongo - 6 would of been a 5 but scored, kept giving away freekicks

Iorfa - 6 did okay
Borner -4 don't even remember him making a challenge

Murphy 5  - 2 wingers that try to run and cut inside instead of crossing the ball

Lee - 8 - 2 good games, best reader of the game we have always harrassing the opposition

Wickham - 7 Good run and  header for the goal

Rhodes - 6 Ok performance, needs pace

Bannan - 6 only got most succsessful passes because he passed it sideways and backwards, awful corners and free kicks

Fox - 5 Average

Da Cruz 6 - had a decent shot near the end

odubajo - 5 didnt even notice he was on

pelupessy - 2, 3 awful passes straight to bristol city players

Nuhiu - 4 tried and ran around abit but he's just too slow

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Good team performance. 3-5-2 suits us, couldn't say anyone disappointed:

Wildsmith - 7 - fantastic save early doors and solid kicking, not commanding under high balls - there was one he fumbled in the first half and got away with

Palmer - 7 - another solid display, great saving tackle although could he have done more to challenge Wells for the goal

Iorfa - 7 - starting to settle into the central CB role

Borner - 7 - did well until his injury

Murphy - 8 - lots of running, only his second assist from a cross this season

Harris - 8 - surprised not received a single MoM nomination, defended really well and looked more threatening this week

Bannan - 7 - tidy on the ball, couple of lovely backheel flicks, set pieces poor

Luongo - 8 - Good all-round game and popped up with crucial goal

Lee - 8 - full of running, another player suited to 3-5-2, sign him up for another year

Wickham - 8 - MoM, crucial early goal, competed well and unlucky to not get more free-kicks given in his favour

Rhodes - 7 - Good movement and looked dangerous, although still a bit limited in holding the ball up

Subs

Fox - 7 - professional performance, credit to him

Da Cruz  -7 - pace threatened them a strong run near the end

Pelupessy - 7 - couple of good interceptions and headers won, did his job

Odubajo - 7 - did well not to lunge in at the end when their players was trying to buy a pen, maybe he's learning. Overhit cross when we could have made it 3-1

Nuhiu - 7 - usual hold it up for the last 10 mins job he's designed for

Just watched the game back. I agree regarding Harris, thought he looked really comfortable and a threat with the play mostly in front of him. 

I like this formation, but we still have a few players playing out of position which might lead to more inconsistency for the last part of the season.

Any news on Borner?

Palmer, Bannan, Wildsmith were all outstanding but Palmer shaded it IMO, Wickham was extremely busy and scored a great goal but his first touch really needs working on. My mate who I was watching the game with, could not believe how many times he lost the ball with his first touch so he stopped counting at 9. Having said that he his big, strong and puts himself about and will only get better. Da Cruz is a joy to watch and sooner or later G M will have to find a place for him. After watching WBA the last 2 games they are there for the taking onwards & upwards WAWAW UTO

Wildsmith - 7 - Phenomenal, crucial save at 0-0 from Baker's header. Otherwise, he's had another quiet game. Perhaps could've done better for the effort in the lead up to the goal (pushing it over rather than back in play...maybe a bit harsh?), but his handling looked assured, and he appeared comfortable throughout.

Palmer - 7 - Thought he did well today. Great last ditch tackle to deny Wells (which he had to make, as he played him onside), and defended solidly in an unfamiliar position.

Iorfa - 7 - Lead from the back, and never really looked in trouble up against Bristol's forward line. Blatantly fouled from the cross which led to the goal as well.

Borner - 6 - Assured 1st half display before coming off at half time.

Murphy - 7 - Always a good option from deep on the counter, and worked tirelessly down the right flank. Good delivery for Wickham's goal also.

Harris - 7 - Much better performance than last week. Seemed to always have the beating of Hunt, and saw a lot of the ball down the left side.

Bannan - 7 -Thought he really struggled in the 1st half. Careless in possession. But as the game went on, he got better and began to dictate things in the 2nd half, like we expect him to.

Lee - 8 - Man of the Match - Another one who started sluggishly, but just got stronger and stronger. Third man runs, exploiting that half space and showing neat footwork in tight situations. He couldn't bag himself another contract could he?

Luongo - 7 - Better than last week, looked a bit sharper. Took his goal well, and worked well in the middle with Lee and Bannan.

Rhodes - 6 - Could've grabbed a couple on another day. Typical Rhodes performance really. Worked hard, offered bits and bobs, but he's all about goals. If he doesn't get any, you feel like he could've done more.

Wickham - 7 - Took his goal really well, and looked strong again. Gave too many cheap free kicks away, but looks a different player to the one we signed in January.

Fox - 7 - Slotted into that left centre half position comfortably. Pity about him leaving the club, because it's a position in this system he could really excel in. 

Da Cruz - 7 - Another encouraging cameo display. Runs the channels and stretches play much more effectively, and naturally than Rhodes. Great run towards the end which would've been nice to have been topped off with a goal.

Rest of Subs - 6

Overall - Thought it was a pretty ordinary performance in the 1st half. Didn't look after the ball well, and looked a little dishevelled at times. But, got ourselves in front and defended the lead without too much trouble. Improved hugely after the break, and controlled the game when the midfield trio began to find their feet and composure. 

We look a threat on the counter, which is good, but we've still yet to score from open play since the restart. Maybe its a bit of sharpness in key moments, but I jus feel we need to move opposition defences around a bit more. Rhodes & Wickham as a partnership is too static...I'd certainly be looking at Da Cruz to replace Rhodes at some point, to see if his willing to move into wide areas, will yield an uplift in chances created from open play.

But, so far, so good. We've got a hunger and a desire to work for each other, and the system seems to suit a lot of our players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do have to admit that I am the biggest critic of Nuhiu and think he's a load of rubbish...but yesterday, he came on and held it up well and made himself available. He relieved the pressure yesterday. That's his ONLY role. 

Pelupessy...please don't put his name on the team sheet or subs list.

23 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Pelupessy 5 as above

What exactly did Joey P do wrong? I thought he stepped in for one of the better performers and we didn't drop or concede dominance in midfield - which we would if he hadn't been at least nearly as on it as Luongo. 

Edited by Daizan10

15 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

What exactly did Joey P do wrong? I thought he stepped in for one of the better performers and we didn't drop or concede dominance in midfield - which we would if he hadn't been at least nearly as on it as Luongo. 

He was slow to read the situation, he was out of position, he hides next to opponents in midfield and never asks for the ball, 80% of his passes are backwards, he can't tackle and he's a 50% Luongo at best.

1 minute ago, toooldforthis said:

He was slow to read the situation, he was out of position, he hides next to opponents in midfield and never asks for the ball, 80% of his passes are backwards, he can't tackle and he's a 50% Luongo at best.

Im not saying he isn't normally this kind of bad, but if he had done this at the weekend I would have expected more impact on the game - which there wasn't. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
45 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

This!

1 hour ago, Daizan10 said:

Im not saying he isn't normally this kind of bad, but if he had done this at the weekend I would have expected more impact on the game - which there wasn't. 

I know what you mean but we were against an opposition that wants to draw you onto them then hit you on the break. We sat deep and let them have the ball in both the back and central thirds. They didn't know how to play through us and so as a unit we looked solid. He could have not been on the pitch and we'd have coped just the same with 9 behind the ball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

I know what you mean but we were against an opposition that wants to draw you onto them then hit you on the break. We sat deep and let them have the ball in both the back and central thirds. They didn't know how to play through us and so as a unit we looked solid. He could have not been on the pitch and we'd have coped just the same with 9 behind the ball.

Fair enough. I find your picture really disconcerting. Best just do as you say. LOL

Having read through all of this, here are my reflections:

SOOOOOO much better with three in midfield. It suits all 3 of them and we won because we bossed it there. Lee still isn't the player he was but he's getting there and Luongo has long quiet spells but pops up now and again with really important contributions like the goal.

I thought Wickham led the line really well. The comment about his poor touch is a surprise to me - wasn't that Rhodes? Before the break I assumed he was a spent force but he's getting better all the time. Not as mobile as Fletcher but just as good in the air.

I'm amazed by the praise for Harris who I think has been a weak link in both games. There's just no end product to what he does, especially when he sees so much of the ball. Last week he had 14 crosses but none reached a Wednesday player. This week, apart from one peach of a cross I thought he was really ineffective going forward. Works hard enough defensively but please can we put someone in that role who can cross a ball. Stand up Adam Reach. Murphy is pretty much the opposite - sees so little of the ball that you forget he's playing but his shots and crosses, when they do come, are much more of a threat.

Outstanding save from Wildsmith but it must be rare for an MoM to have so few touches in a game. Brizzle were so poor that he had little to do.

I hope Rhodes keeps his place. He makes good runs and has been unlucky not to score - so far. Da Cruz's pace  and willingness makes him useful as a late sub - more so than I ever thought he could be

Why has it taken us this long to find this formation and start looking good?

2 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

Of course none of these things happened when he came on yesterday.

You do realise that when he came on not only did he play in a completely different position to Luongo but Monk also changed the tactics.

His job was to sit in front of the defence and when he got the ball pass to somebody close and retain possession.

This freed Bannan to play further forward.

Pelupessy is a limited footballer , not good enough to be a regular in the championship, but he did little wrong yesterday.

On 28/06/2020 at 14:37, Ante's Bubbly said:

Without Wildsmith's amazing early save, I think we would have struggled to get anything. He made some other good saves and was unlucky with their goal. Iorfa was very naive by not getting up for the header.

Apart from Joe, Wickham was everywhere, working hard and should have had two. Lee also popped up everywhere and was unlucky to pick up a booking when he had to stop their run with Iorfa getting too far forward and out of position. 

Another good performance with lots of good displays, good tactics and good substitutions. Well done Monk, well done players.

Just wanting to clear up the iPlayer quality today. Was it much easier to see from the start with so many people watching it on Sky? 

Was the commentary any better this week, or the same amateur rubbish? I watched on Sky, taking advantage of the 3 months for £20 deal, because the Forest iPlayer offering was so poor. The commentators get paid on iFollow to keep us all informed as to what is happening on the pitch and giving us snippets of extra information, match stats, seasonal team and player stats etc. You got all of that today with Sky and the difference betweenthat and last week was staggering. The iFollow commentators did not know how long had been played, how many subs we had used or even, at one pint that we had made a double substitution and took the stoppage of play as an opportunity to read out tweets that had been sent in from fans! 

Sorry iFollow, but at £10 a game, or more than that for fans taking the service as compensation for attending games, I believe we are being given a very shoddy service. The iFollow network should provide all the stats for the various commentators and up to date information like live league tables at full time, for showing after the games. There should also be the opportunity to choose which commentary you listen to, because ours is very poor. If I want to read the commentators tweets instead of listening to the football commentary I can do already.

How does everybody else feel about the quality of the iFollow service? 

iFollow quality probably better because a lot less people logging on as only Wednesday kicked off at 12 on Sunday.