Academy Retained List

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well the system is dependent on other clubs continuing with their academies, but yes it may well be the way for clubs like us to go The idea of our young players challenging themselves against older more experienced players may be of some benefit. That’s something even the bigger clubs are looking at. Not disbanding their academies, but setting up B sides, to ultimately play in the pyramid 
Could you imagine it though, us folding our academy, so all the young lads went to the piggies, especially if they are by then a category A set up Their B team might even be playing in the same league as us That might be pretty unpalatable

I can't see Cat A Academies stopping, Several lower league teams rely on youth players so i doubt most of them would get rid completely, its a club by club model, won't work for all, Brentford did it because they're a established Championship side with not much coming through the ranks, in a catchment area of London competing with Chelsea Spurs Arsenal etc, it saved them a lot of money so it made total sense for them to do it, Why should we? apart from GK's have we produced anything in recent times? Who have we produced that's gone on to the top? We've had Beevers and Spurr who we sold for pittance, We've got a training ground that can't accommodate all the teams we have. We won the under 23's league a few seasons ago and whats happened to most of them? Dawson, Penney & Hunt are the only ones who's around the first team still and are they even good enough?

No B teams should enter the league system, it's horrendous enough having them in Micky Mouse cup and i don't think we'd have to worry about United poaching all our players, we've produced nothing for past 10-15 years maybe even longer.

Getting out and playing mens football at a young age is a massive benefit compared to sitting wrapped up in cotton wool in the under 23's. The thread recently saying most of them are just water carriers for the good players was spot on but the good players should be going out and playing regular football.

Guest Jack the Hat

What about George Hirst. I remember him joining the Academy but then never heard any more about him. It all went quiet.

11 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Kirby getting release seems the harshest to me from the outside. Did well at Macclesfield  according  to their fans yet doesn't  get the chance to prove himself with us. I think the season on loan will help a lot though when looking for a club.

100%,really surprised he didn't get another contract even if it was for one year, again can't understand why we loaned him out to release him, and keep Hunt sat in the 23's.

We need to get more of them out playing regular football, it hasn't happened enough over the years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beswetherick said:

We just need to work on the part where they develop to a good enough standard to play for the first team or be sold on for a fee. Keeping them in the U23s for 2/3/4 years without sending them on loan and then releasing them isn’t doing anyone any favours

I don’t mean to sound disingenuous, but sometimes you also need something more mobile than training cones

33 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

100%,really surprised he didn't get another contract even if it was for one year, again can't understand why we loaned him out to release him, and keep Hunt sat in the 23's.

We need to get more of them out playing regular football, it hasn't happened enough over the years.

It’s something you quite often see, players going out on loan, only to be released when they come back They will presumably have been monitored while they’ve been away Playing games for lower league clubs doesn’t always indicate that they will be able to step up to championship football

Guest Bulgaria

I have to offer my apologies for Borukov being released, I've been badgering him to come back every other weekend to finish off my garden and plastering, it's obviously effected his form.

On the plus side, I now expect him to fulfill his contract of getting my renovations completed before July.

Edited by Bulgaria

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s something you quite often see, players going out on loan, only to be released when they come back They will presumably have been monitored while they’ve been away Playing games for lower league clubs doesn’t always indicate that they will be able to step up to championship football

He will have been monitored, he was considered one of the better players along with Hunt, that's my point though, you don't see players leaving our club on loan to go and play at a decent level, Kirby being the first in years! If they thought he wasn't good enough send Hunt out on loan instead, as said previous by all account he did well at Macc, No point having the better players sat in your under 23 squad, get them out playing regular football 

43 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Kirby got sent out on loan to try and get fixed with some other club once his contract with us runs out. Seems he did his chance no harm with his performances at Macclesfield. 

Some other year he might have got himself extension, but with Hunt, Shaw, Grant and Waldock all at the club, all younger then him and likely more talente, he had to go. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, malek said:

Kirby got sent out on loan to try and get fixed with some other club once his contract with us runs out. Seems he did his chance no harm with his performances at Macclesfield. 

Some other year he might have got himself extension, but with Hunt, Shaw, Grant and Waldock all at the club, all younger then him and likely more talente, he had to go. 

So you think the club had already decided to release him before they sent him to Macclesfield?

4 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Interesting point, especially considering the size of the Sheffield and District Junior Sunday League which I’m sure used to be one of the biggest in the world — might still be, I’m not sure. 

The pigs had a great run with some of the names you’ve mentioned but I don’t think they’ve had anyone come through in the past 3-4 years have they? 

I think the Brentford model is what we should be seriously considering — it’s been a few years now since they scrapped their academy and it’s paying dividends both on and off the pitch — but it only works if there’s a clear vision from the people at the top, and we aren’t exactly the perfect example of a forward-thinking, well-run club

On the other hand Huddersfield also cancelled their academy and look at them + they've got the best managers in the league (According to some).

What is good for one club is not always good for another.

45 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

So you think the club had already decided to release him before they sent him to Macclesfield?

In my opinion. Perhaps they didn't, but progress of other lads pushed them towards that decision. 

At least some part of the club got a reboot. It is going to be interesting to see what happens next as they need to attract new talent.

You have to be realistic -- the only purpose for the academy is to produce players for the first team squad. If the player doesn't look like making it, in our current situation there is only one option to take.

Still, I feel for them all and particularly for John's lad. It would be nice if someone updated their status when the next season gets underway.

Edited by FinnishOwl

these lads must be very worried with whats going off as there will be very few clubs taking players on ,some of them might be good enough at league 2 level but no club at that level will be adding anyone to there wage bill, a lot of footballers will become unemployed ,squads will become much smaller with limited wage bill. 

I championed preston when I 1st saw him 2-3 years ago  but seen him 4 times this season and no surprise he's been released …….the only one  released who I thought had a chance was O'Brien but he's seemed to have problems fitness wise so that's probably gone against him . ……...those that are surprised borukov as been released I can only think they  cant have seen him play ……….my next tip for the top is Thompson ..so expect him to be gone next summer 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

On the other hand Huddersfield also cancelled their academy and look at them + they've got the best managers in the league (According to some).

What is good for one club is not always good for another.

And they’ve got parachute payments so in theory would have more money to chuck at the right people and infrastructure — just goes to show the importance of good planning and recruitment in key positions