Academy Retained List

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Maybe look like you can or will be able to cut it in the first team, and only Hunt has done that, apart from the keepers of course. Had it not been the situation we are in now we may have kept on a few more. But there is no point paying the likes of Stobbs and preston a few grand a week for a league cup appearance. 

That’s the harsh truth I’m afraid. You need to be bossing things in the U23s, as Hunt did, to warrant a call up to the first team squad

• Like 2

Some real surprises there:

Thought that despite everything Borukov would get another year and didn't think we would look to keep Brennan. Irishman can play CB and RB and with Urroghide and Rice already there and Thompson and Cox brought up from U-18's to play CB i didn't think we would try to keep him here. At RB we have Dawodu, Hughes and Farmer .

Very surprised that Charles Reaney got pro deal offered, thought he did very little in his two years with academy. expected us to keep Ellery who by all accounts did well at both LB and CB.

All the best to young Jordan O'Brien in his future endeavors.

Very sad for Connor Kirby to leave in present situation, hope he gets fixed with a league club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Questions to be Asked is our Recruitment up to scratch ,Seeing how many break through into the first team .Or is our youth coaching  team needing improvement ?

It does make you wonder if there’s any point us having an academy or if we’d be better off trying to replicate the Brentford model. We’ve only had 3 academy players properly break in to the first team in the past decade (I think?) and two of them are keepers — maybe we can add Hunt and Penney to that list in a year or so, but it’s still not a great return on investment 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

It does make you wonder if there’s any point us having an academy or if we’d be better off trying to replicate the Brentford model. We’ve only had 3 academy players properly break in to the first team in the past decade (I think?) and two of them are keepers — maybe we can add Hunt and Penney to that list in a year or so, but it’s still not a great return on investment 

That is not a good record ,We are a club that has now got to watch what we spend and don't produce any saleable youth .

2 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Liam Palmer debut was about 10 years ago I think, Uroghide if he adds consistency?

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Some real surprises there:

Thought that despite everything Borukov would get another year and didn't think we would look to keep Brennan. Irishman can play CB and RB and with Urroghide and Rice already there and Thompson and Cox brought up from U-18's to play CB i didn't think we would try to keep him here. At RB we have Dawodu, Hughes and Farmer .

Very surprised that Charles Reaney got pro deal offered, thought he did very little in his two years with academy. expected us to keep Ellery who by all accounts did well at both LB and CB.

All the best to young Jordan O'Brien in his future endeavors.

Very sad for Connor Kirby to leave in present situation, hope he gets fixed with a league club.

Yes there’s almost as much recruitment needed with the development squads, as there is with the first team Agree, most of the surprises were some of the players who have been given deals, although of course, none of us see these guys in training. Looking at the U23 squad, we need 2 or 3 strikers and a left back for starters. Then if Urhoghide and Hunt have been promoted, then another midfielder and a tall centre back

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s the harsh truth I’m afraid. You need to be bossing things in the U23s, as Hunt did, to warrant a call up to the first team squad

I would argue that Preston did more at U-23 level then Hunt did.

Preston was as 16 years old watched by most big clubs in country and last season got linked with move to Rangers. Think that club failed Preston as now at 22 years old he got very little involvement with first team here and wasn't sent out on loan.

I think he will get fixed with league club in the Summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes there’s almost as much recruitment needed with the development squads, as there is with the first team Agree, most of the surprises were some of the players who have been given deals, although of course, none of us see these guys in training. Looking at the U23 squad, we need 2 or 3 strikers and a left back for starters. Then if Urhoghide and Hunt have been promoted, then another midfielder and a tall centre back

We have Galvin at LB and Urroghide and Rice played there last season. With Rice, Urroghide, Cox, Brennan and Thompson we look well covered at CB unless we send couple of those out on loan.

Guest Grandad
15 minutes ago, malek said:

Who said that and when ? Certainly first time I hear it. In any case it is complete nonsense.

It was all over the Hirst threads at the time

You'll have to take my word for it unless you can be arsed to read through them cos I certyainly can't!!

10 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Maybe there is a problem in the area? It’s true to say we’ve been extremely poor at developing young players, though our neighbours have been better. Sheffield itself doesn’t produce that many though, and it’s not like the best Sheffield lads are being snapped up by the big top flight clubs. 
It seems odd to say so at a time when Maguire, Walker and until recently, Vardy were all representing their country. There’s Calvert-Lewin and Cahill of course, but not much else, certainly not for a city the size of Sheffield. There was a time when Sheffield schools were dominating junior football, but even then it didn’t translate into a steady stream of professional footballers. A city the size of Sheffield should be producing so much more in terms of talent

7 minutes ago, malek said:

I would argue that Preston did more at U-23 level then Hunt did.

Preston was as 16 years old watched by most big clubs in country and last season got linked with move to Rangers. Think that club failed Preston as now at 22 years old he got very little involvement with first team here and wasn't sent out on loan.

I think he will get fixed with league club in the Summer.

Plenty of time under various managers to make an impression. All came to the same conclusion. 

6 minutes ago, malek said:

We have Galvin at LB and Urroghide and Rice played there last season. With Rice, Urroghide, Cox, Brennan and Thompson we look well covered at CB unless we send couple of those out on loan.

Has Galvin been renewed, I’m not sure that he has?

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

It was all over the Hirst threads at the time

You'll have to take my word for it unless you can be arsed to read through them cos I certyainly can't!!

Your word taken 😉