Academy Retained List

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

I championed preston when I 1st saw him 2-3 years ago  but seen him 4 times this season and no surprise he's been released …….the only one  released who I thought had a chance was O'Brien but he's seemed to have problems fitness wise so that's probably gone against him . ……...those that are surprised borukov as been released I can only think they  cant have seen him play ……….my next tip for the top is Thompson ..so expect him to be gone next summer 

Interesting, do you see him as a centre back, or do you think his futures lies in another role

Edited by gurujuan

4 hours ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

He will have been monitored, he was considered one of the better players along with Hunt, that's my point though, you don't see players leaving our club on loan to go and play at a decent level, Kirby being the first in years! If they thought he wasn't good enough send Hunt out on loan instead, as said previous by all account he did well at Macc, No point having the better players sat in your under 23 squad, get them out playing regular football 

Depends on the player, sometimes a player will be better off being part of the first team set up at a higher level, rather than playing regularly at a level a bit lower Others will benefit from regular games

Guest Smackavolley
25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Given the interest in this topic, does anyone know of any players to look out for who might be moving up from the U16s

A lot of the 1st years hardly got a look in this season. I think they're the new one's to look out for to be honest. Most are local lads as well. After that I think the actual U16's will have some players pushing. Big step up but supposed to be a very good group.

26 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

A lot of the 1st years hardly got a look in this season. I think they're the new one's to look out for to be honest. Most are local lads as well. After that I think the actual U16's will have some players pushing. Big step up but supposed to be a very good group.

Think, as it stands, the squad is only about 8 or 9 players strong. Wonder if we will look to bring in a few from other academies, as well as promoting some of the U16s

Guest Smackavolley
28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Think, as it stands, the squad is only about 8 or 9 players strong. Wonder if we will look to bring in a few from other academies, as well as promoting some of the U16s

It's 10 Strong.

A few of the U16's have got scholarships. Should announce them anytime soon.

Would think 2 or 3 will be brought in from elsewhere.

Edited by Smackavolley

Interesting article from 2017

Children at football academies are more likely to 'get hit by a meteorite' than succeed as professionals – here’s the shocking statistic

Claudia Romeo, Business Insider UK

Jun 29, 2017, 9:14 AM

Business Insider UK spoke to Michael Calvin, author of the book "No Hunger in Paradise: The Players. The Journey. The Dream," about how children enrolled in academies have a very small chance of succeeding as professional footballers.
Here's a transcript of the video:
Academies of their very essence are a good idea. Get the best players, give them the best coaches in the best potential environment.
The problem is that the ills of senior football - greed, opportunism, the stockpiling of talent unnecessarily for commercial gain - are seeping down into junior football.
That's what's happening in the academies of the major clubs where boys are going in, they're sucked into the system. They're taken over by the dream.
But, realistically, all they would do is sit there and wait for a chance that will never come.
The statistics are really sobering. Out of all the boys who enter an academy at the age of 9, less than half of 1% make it. Or a make a living from the game either.
The most damning statistic of all is only 180 of the 1.5 million players who are playing organised youth football in England at any one time will make it as a Premier League pro.
That's a success rate of 0.012%.

Pretty much the sort of chances of you being hit by a meteorite on your way home.
Produced by Claudia Romeo. Filmed by David Ibekwe.

Read the original article on Business Insider UK Copyright 2017

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Interesting, do you see him as a centre back, or do you think his futures lies in another role

Only seen him play centre back which he did very well but he is on the small side so wouldnt be surprised if they try to turn him into a full back .  

26 minutes ago, darra said:

Interesting article from 2017

Children at football academies are more likely to 'get hit by a meteorite' than succeed as professionals – here’s the shocking statistic

Claudia Romeo, Business Insider UK

Jun 29, 2017, 9:14 AM

Business Insider UK spoke to Michael Calvin, author of the book "No Hunger in Paradise: The Players. The Journey. The Dream," about how children enrolled in academies have a very small chance of succeeding as professional footballers.
Here's a transcript of the video:
Academies of their very essence are a good idea. Get the best players, give them the best coaches in the best potential environment.
The problem is that the ills of senior football - greed, opportunism, the stockpiling of talent unnecessarily for commercial gain - are seeping down into junior football.
That's what's happening in the academies of the major clubs where boys are going in, they're sucked into the system. They're taken over by the dream.
But, realistically, all they would do is sit there and wait for a chance that will never come.
The statistics are really sobering. Out of all the boys who enter an academy at the age of 9, less than half of 1% make it. Or a make a living from the game either.
The most damning statistic of all is only 180 of the 1.5 million players who are playing organised youth football in England at any one time will make it as a Premier League pro.
That's a success rate of 0.012%.

Pretty much the sort of chances of you being hit by a meteorite on your way home.
Produced by Claudia Romeo. Filmed by David Ibekwe.

Read the original article on Business Insider UK Copyright 2017

It is quite sobering, but I suppose it depends what they mean by making it as professionals A lot do have some sort of a career playing professionally, or as a semi professional. I took in a non league game earlier this year, way down the pyramid, at Wroxham in Norfolk. Don’t recall who they were playing, but there were half a dozen lads playing in that game, who head been with Premier League, or Championship academies. Not that I instantly recognised them, but afterwards looking at the line ups, there were names that were familiar to me, maybe only because I take more of an interest in youth football 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Smackavolley said:

This year's lot seems to be weakest in a bit. It is hard to point at anyone and say "he is certain to get pro contract next year".

Generation that won U-18's league in their 2'nd season is the strongest we had here since I'm taking interest in academy football, and it will take a lot of time till we get together another group as talented as that one.

Luke Hall was a "big name" that got promoted this season and was supposed to be a big talent couple of years ago that got involved with England's U-16 side. Apparently went backwards last couple of years. Still young and talented enough to make it, though.

Guest Smackavolley

This years lot are nowhere as good as the U18’s who won that development league.

That midfield was quality. Hagan was top scorer that season. 

His goal return has been poor this season.

I think the U18’s will do infinitely better next season. 

Luke Hall is one who should have a big season in his 2nd year. When the current 1st years played at U16 level, they didn’t lose many games at all. They were a good Cat 2 side.

I’d say around 5 of them will be in with a good shout of a pro contract next year. If the lads who got a pro this year are anything

to go by.

Still no news on either the development squad, or the U18s for next season yet? They will be starting their seasons in a week or so, and both squads are depleted. I thought this would have been something that could have been done early

Guest Smackavolley
21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Still no news on either the development squad, or the U18s for next season yet? They will be starting their seasons in a week or so, and both squads are depleted. I thought this would have been something that could have been done early

Last years scholars were only announced at the end of July 2019. If they are starting next week I guess they are waiting to take photos of newcomers. Are they back next week?

Development squad profiles have been updated on the official site but some of the lads on the U18's page have left the club.

8 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

Last years scholars were only announced at the end of July 2019. If they are starting next week I guess they are waiting to take photos of newcomers. Are they back next week?

Development squad profiles have been updated on the official site but some of the lads on the U18's page have left the club.

Looks to me as if the development squad needs a few recruits A left back definitely, probably another centre back, and at least a couple of forwards

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looks to me as if the development squad needs a few recruits A left back definitely, probably another centre back, and at least a couple of forwards

That sentence also works with the word "development" removed...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

That sentence also works with the word "development" removed...

Ha ha, yes it does, and so far, we’ve only signed a midfield player  A conservative estimate, about another half a dozen for each squad. Busy busy

Guest Smackavolley

I'm relying on Football Manager but I think he is 😄

Name

Ryan Galvin

Club

Sheff Wed

Position

D L

Contract Expires

30-06-2021