THE EFL HEARING THREAD

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

He can do what he wants. He owns the club lock stock and barrel

we were at much less of a risk with Milan. While there were losses, the team were advancing (sloth-like) up the league table - and that increased our saleability. So with the total investment of the Chairman/owner of £20m - he knew he could recover that and still make a profit on sale.

Right now - you have to look at the club value and say that given the investment - Mr Chansiri would be looking at a loss of £100m plus on his investment

That makes our position FAr more dangerous than it was under Milan.

Well other than the fact the majority wasn’t his money, it was borrowed and secured against the ground. But like you say it was more of a calculated gamble. 

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ironically I think COVID could be a huge blessing for the club. When and if we return to Hillsborough I imagine a lot of supporters will have a new found energy and willingness to watch football and Sheffield Wednesday. Might just help breathe some life back into the club.

Sadly, if my own feelings are mirrored - Covid-19 has seen me re-address a number of priorities - many of them lifelong - and as things stand I won't be renewing my season ticket. I'll still be going where I can, (and as someone who invested in Club 1867 I still have enough priority points to make sure its possible) but for quite some time now Ive found the atmosphere and effort to attend Hillsborough poisonous - and so I'll be looking to follow us away from home. I still enjoy those games FAR more than I do at home.

I just don't enjoy Hillsborough like I did

4 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

I'm just trying to think of what praise can be put forward ? The clubs reacted like most.since lockdown and will have been able to apply for assistance like any other business. it doesn't detract from the absolute crap we are in as a club.
Yes, he's thrown money at the club, but unless its spent wisely, it's like buying a Ferrari with square wheels.

You can change the wheels, but not the owner just think about that !

40 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

When is it when people make valid criticisms of DC that others raise Dave Allen, it literally has nothing to do with judging the actions of DC

At least we are able to make criticisms without being worried we'll get sued! 

• Like 3

Guest Grandad
3 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Well other than the fact the majority wasn’t his money, it was borrowed and secured against the ground. But like you say it was more of a calculated gamble. 

Every clever businessman in the world makes money using somebody elses money

Sadly, if my own feelings are mirrored - Covid-19 has seen me re-address a number of priorities - many of them lifelong - and as things stand I won't be renewing my season ticket. I'll still be going where I can, (and as someone who invested in Club 1867 I still have enough priority points to make sure its possible) but for quite some time now Ive found the atmosphere and effort to attend Hillsborough poisonous - and so I'll be looking to follow us away from home. I still enjoy those games FAR more than I do at home.

These mirror my sentiments 

Why do you say that?  It maybe not as loud as under CC but I haven't detected a bad vibe as you suggest, maybe a more dejected one.

Can you expand?  

Guest Grandad
Just now, Mishowl said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel although I would describe it as soulless rather than poisonous. 

yes thats a much better choice of word

Ironic that modern stadiums are often described as soulless on Owlstalk

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

And that is the issue the atmosphere around SWFC at present is toxic, only the fans can change that. 

5 minutes ago, Grandad said:

pretty bang on that

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Why do you say that?  It maybe not as loud as under CC but I haven't detected a bad vibe as you suggest, maybe a more dejected one.

Can you expand?  

Its exactly that. Dejected.

Or soulless as someone else has pointed out

I sit in the pub before the game and I can feel my shoulders sinking the closer it gets to 3pm

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Nail on the head, great post. I think the majority of fans were guilty of getting carried away when DC first arrived. And who can blame them? We’d had 15 years in the wilderness and all of a sudden a rich foreign owner comes in and throws his cash about in a manner we’ve never seen before. It was exciting and as fanbase we are so desperate to get into the Premier League again we were happy to go on the ride with him. 

I think if we all took a step back, we’d have seen back then that it wasn’t sustainable and problems will arise if we didn’t get promoted. But we all backed DC and were blinded by his riches. 

The man is still pumping money in but I also question how long for. It’s a real test of his enthusiasm and passion for the sport and the club. I’m surprised he’s still stuck around to be honest, the past 3/4 years off the pitch and on it have been one huge struggle and the club is paying the price for not going up in his first two seasons as chairman. 

He’s in a bit of a tricky position. On the pitch we had it so good in his first two seasons, almost too good, now performances have got worse and the quality of players on show isn’t as good, fans are left with a product they on the whole find underwhelming and disappointing in comparison to what we had at the start of the DC era. Now people aren’t willing to put up with the prices for a team that isn’t as strong as it was 3 or 4 years ago. And the danger is fans will continue to be disgruntled because I can’t see us getting to that level for a few years yet. Will DC be willing to ride that out? 

Ironically I think COVID could be a huge blessing for the club. When and if we return to Hillsborough I imagine a lot of supporters will have a new found energy and willingness to watch football and Sheffield Wednesday. Might just help breathe some life back into the club.

let's be fair we haven't a clue how long covid19 is going on for?, if empty stadium football is with us for some time to come?

If reduced crowds are allowed in next season, how many?, and what will be the gate money?

he could as grandad points out cut his losses, as at present they are mounting, how long will he allow that to happen?, how long can he afford that to happen? 

in the real world at present covid19 will see some businesses close, IF it goes on for some time longer who knows what the outcome will be?

Just now, Bucksowl said:

And that is the issue the atmosphere around SWFC at present is toxic, only the fans can change that. 

To an extent 

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, Bucksowl said:

I disagree

The team have to drive that

Give us something to get behind.

43 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Football is completely democratic to the total exclusion of all fans.

A fan makes a racist comment life time ban and rightly so. A  player makes a racist comment 6 week ban and attend awareness class.

A fan gets in a scuffle two year ban £200 fine + costs.  A player does a two footed drop kick on fan or Bites  fellow player, 10 week ban.

Yeah, I recon fans need a little more consideration and involvement. 

We most likely do need more involvement, and certainly more consideration. However until those times we are but members of the general public, when it comes to legal matters being heard at a tribunal.

This is the only point I am making, whilst trying to educate others who may think that the club should be giving us a daily update. The official announcement will happen once the case has been concluded, and not until. If we've not heard any news, there is a very good reason for that, and it isn't because the club want to keep the fans in the dark.

The EFL aren't interested in us Wednesday fans, with regards to the outcome of this tribunal and they haven't released any news either, so there obviously isn't anything to say or that can be said. Yet some fans slag off the club still. Bizarre.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Grandad said:

Its exactly that. Dejected.

Or soulless as someone else has pointed out

I sit in the pub before the game and I can feel my shoulders sinking the closer it gets to 3pm

Oh that? Had a lifetime of that lol Don't you find the pub the best bit of the day?  The match is icing on the cake if we win.

15 minutes ago, Grandad said:

He can do what he wants. He owns the club lock stock and barrel

we were at much less of a risk with Milan. While there were losses, the team were advancing (sloth-like) up the league table - and that increased our saleability. So with the total investment of the Chairman/owner of £20m - he knew he could recover that and still make a profit on sale.

Right now - you have to look at the club value and say that given the investment - Mr Chansiri would be looking at a loss of £100m plus on his investment

That makes our position FAr more dangerous than it was under Milan.

is all of the monies spent his?, or has he borrowed in the clubs name?