THE EFL HEARING THREAD

Guest mrbluesky
15 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

The accounts are irrelevant as long as we have a line of credit that provides funds for us to continue to operate.

And yes they will look awful suspect 2021 accounts will be even worse unless crowds are allowed back in to grounds 

Hi, Mr.Chansiri.

The P&S rules are a mockery, any business losing £5m(as we were under Milan) per year is just as unsustainable as a business losing £13m per year without a rich benefactor. 

Also if they decided £39m was the limit 2 years ago surely there should be some sort of annual increase, maybe index linked. 

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, bigdan2003 said:

We were in a better position than the “old guard” days, probably about 2 seasons ago. But right now I‘m not sure if we’re on an even keel with those days, or worse off. Depends how you look at it...either way I don’t think we’re in a better position anymore sadly. Chansiri is happy to continue paying for our losses right now, but what happens when that dries up, or his enthusiasm dries up? We might end up on the high court steps again, just like the the old guard who decided they didn’t want to chuck anymore money at the cause. 

At least back then, as a fan base, we knew we were up poo creek without a paddle, and generally we were united behind just supporting the team and trying to get some change in the boardroom. We were not paying high ticket prices either. 

I think the bloke means well, but he’s needed help since day one. He disbanded the transfer committee Unnecessarily and far too quickly. Sad thing is that, with the right people involved, his cash, enthusiasm and passion, stuff could have been so much better imo. 

^^ This is my worry

Even the most passionate gambler will get to the point where he cuts his losses. At the beginning all of the evidence was there that this was a huge vanity project - and he clearly revelled in the adoration of our supporter base - and who can blame him? He was literally burning money for all of us - something we had all longed for. some of us were raising notes of caution - but the trips to Wembley and Play Off semis, the exciting football, and the dream signings (culminating in Jordan Rhodes) tempered those notes of caution. we literally had to wait and see. It very nearly came off.

But some of us were making noises about FFP (and the hiogh ticket prices and the lack of a cohesive plan to bring in additional money) long before the crap hit the fan - and facing the abuse of our fellow supporters for it. 

Some still refuse to hear any criticism of him - but as those numbers dwindle, the vanity project becomes more of a nightmare for him.

At some point - if the situation isnt reversed you have to assume that eventually he will tire of the project - and the funding will stop. At that point - he has two options. He finds a buyer that will give him a small return on his losses. But if those losses are mounting monthly - at the rate of £3m a month in the last accounts - then you have to hope he doesnt pull the plug completely. And we go the way of Bury.

And thats been my worry all along. The Covid thing has been a huge test of his will - and so far hes passed with flying colours. Lets hope that continues.

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

^^ This is my worry

Even the most passionate gambler will get to the point where he cuts his losses. At the beginning all of the evidence was there that this was a huge vanity project - and he clearly revelled in the adoration of our supporter base - and who can blame him? He was literally burning money for all of us - something we had all longed for. some of us were raising notes of caution - but the trips to Wembley and Play Off semis, the exciting football, and the dream signings (culminating in Jordan Rhodes) tempered those notes of caution. we literally had to wait and see. It very nearly came off.

But some of us were making noises about FFP (and the hiogh ticket prices and the lack of a cohesive plan to bring in additional money) long before the crap hit the fan - and facing the abuse of our fellow supporters for it. 

Some still refuse to hear any criticism of him - but as those numbers dwindle, the vanity project becomes more of a nightmare for him.

At some point - if the situation isnt reversed you have to assume that eventually he will tire of the project - and the funding will stop. At that point - he has two options. He finds a buyer that will give him a small return on his losses. But if those losses are mounting monthly - at the rate of £3m a month in the last accounts - then you have to hope he doesnt pull the plug completely. And we go the way of Bury.

And thats been my worry all along. The Covid thing has been a huge test of his will - and so far hes passed with flying colours. Lets hope that continues.

On this post we can agree this is the real danger.

However the harder you kick the quicker the wall falls, just a thought!

Guest Grandad
Just now, Bucksowl said:

On this post we can agree this is the real danger.

However the harder you kick the quicker the wall falls, just a thought!

Do you see it as kicking?

21 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Whatever way we look at it...there is no way this club is in a good place at the moment..on or off the pitch..it’s just not possible to say we are

Ok put it another way....If the EFL said clubs are going to go out of existence from the end of this season unless their chairman can put £100M in a fund to ensure their safety...which clubs do you think will go under?

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Ok put it another way....If the EFL said clubs are going to go out of existence from the end of this season unless their chairman can put £100M in a fund to ensure their safety...which clubs do you think will go under?

It would be more a case of which clubs wouldn't go under.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bourbon said:

Is Neil still in Whitby?

Donations to the site go up and all of a sudden Neil goes to Whitby and stays overnight in a hotel. Coincidence? :ph34r:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

^^ This is my worry

Not much to disagree with there, but there are many on here (including the site owner) who maintain that he cannot simply pull the plug and send us the way of Bury, I don’t agree with them by the way. 

Were we not at the same risk under Milan (and all recent ownership) in that even losing £5m a year is unsustainable with a rich benefactor?

Just now, Grandad said:

Do you see it as kicking?

Some of the posts I have read yes, at times we do not seem to give time for people to breath, continual criticism does not work.

Very little praise is given when due (and yes we did have a zillion page thread re the pitch and screen) but little praise over the actions since the March lockdown.

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

^^ This is my worry

Nail on the head, great post. I think the majority of fans were guilty of getting carried away when DC first arrived. And who can blame them? We’d had 15 years in the wilderness and all of a sudden a rich foreign owner comes in and throws his cash about in a manner we’ve never seen before. It was exciting and as fanbase we are so desperate to get into the Premier League again we were happy to go on the ride with him. 

I think if we all took a step back, we’d have seen back then that it wasn’t sustainable and problems will arise if we didn’t get promoted. But we all backed DC and were blinded by his riches. 

The man is still pumping money in but I also question how long for. It’s a real test of his enthusiasm and passion for the sport and the club. I’m surprised he’s still stuck around to be honest, the past 3/4 years off the pitch and on it have been one huge struggle and the club is paying the price for not going up in his first two seasons as chairman. 

He’s in a bit of a tricky position. On the pitch we had it so good in his first two seasons, almost too good, now performances have got worse and the quality of players on show isn’t as good, fans are left with a product they on the whole find underwhelming and disappointing in comparison to what we had at the start of the DC era. Now people aren’t willing to put up with the prices for a team that isn’t as strong as it was 3 or 4 years ago. And the danger is fans will continue to be disgruntled because I can’t see us getting to that level for a few years yet. Will DC be willing to ride that out? 

Ironically I think COVID could be a huge blessing for the club. When and if we return to Hillsborough I imagine a lot of supporters will have a new found energy and willingness to watch football and Sheffield Wednesday. Might just help breathe some life back into the club.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Not much to disagree with there, but there are many on here (including the site owner) who maintain that he cannot simply pull the plug and send us the way of Bury, I don’t agree with them by the way. 

Were we not at the same risk under Milan (and all recent ownership) in that even losing £5m a year is unsustainable with a rich benefactor?

He can do what he wants. He owns the club lock stock and barrel

we were at much less of a risk with Milan. While there were losses, the team were advancing (sloth-like) up the league table - and that increased our saleability. So with the total investment of the Chairman/owner of £20m - he knew he could recover that and still make a profit on sale.

Right now - you have to look at the club value and say that given the investment - Mr Chansiri would be looking at a loss of £100m plus on his investment

That makes our position FAr more dangerous than it was under Milan.

3 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

Some of the posts I have read yes, at times we do not seem to give time for people to breath, continual criticism does not work.

Very little praise is given when due (and yes we did have a zillion page thread re the pitch and screen) but little praise over the actions since the March lockdown.

I'm just trying to think of what praise can be put forward ? The clubs reacted like most.since lockdown and will have been able to apply for assistance like any other business. it doesn't detract from the absolute crap we are in as a club.
Yes, he's thrown money at the club, but unless its spent wisely, it's like buying a Ferrari with square wheels.

• Like 1