Jos Luhukay set to leave FC St Pauli

39 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Peter Eustace 

Yeah heard bad things about him, he was a bit before my time though. Pleat was the one I remember really taking us backwards. Trying to break up the dressing room and the characters in there at the time as he couldn’t handle them. We’ve had some proper shìte over the years haven’t we 

lol

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I never said he doesn't care who does what. Who knows what goes off, but the players reaction once Jos had gone suggests they thought it was down to the manager more than the owner.

What you are saying is that he brought Jos in as a yes man to do his dirty work by getting rid of the overpaid trouble makers. He then abandoned this plan and sacked Jos within a week of publicly backing him and being critical of the fans. On top of this he allowed the caretaker manager to pick who he wanted straightaway.

9 months later with the team having faired somewhat better with Bruce being able to pick who he wants, Bruce leaves for his boyhood team, the caretaker manager then continues to pick who he wants before Chansiri appoints a manager who adopts a similar approach to Jos by sidelining the same players. Are you suggesting this is a decision made from above an Monk is another fall guy/yes man?

I've no idea, given the lack of direction, transparency and accountability we've had generally in the Chansiri era. But I simply cannot see someone like him allowing a manager of Luhukay's modest standing to dismantle the team that cost him a fortune to build after coming close to glory without some form of approval from above. And by the time Bullen took over again, we were dropping down the table. What better time to abandon the experiment and get rid of the scapegoat?

48 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I've no idea, given the lack of direction, transparency and accountability we've had generally in the Chansiri era. But I simply cannot see someone like him allowing a manager of Luhukay's modest standing to dismantle the team that cost him a fortune to build after coming close to glory without some form of approval from above. And by the time Bullen took over again, we were dropping down the table. What better time to abandon the experiment and get rid of the scapegoat?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an element of that but think the unknowns make it a grey area rather than a black and white easily defined issue one way or another. For example, one of the outcasts was given a new contract by the owner 6 months after this approach was abandoned, he could have simply let him go.

Do you think similar instruction has come from above this season given the exact same players are involved?  

44 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an element of that but think the unknowns make it a grey area rather than a black and white easily defined issue one way or another. For example, one of the outcasts was given a new contract by the owner 6 months after this approach was abandoned, he could have simply let him go.

Do you think similar instruction has come from above this season given the exact same players are involved?  

Secrecy is kind of the nature of the business isn't it? If the full truth was out there, would we believe it anyway? Whatever the plans have been, the club has made a right old mess of them.

Back end of 2017/18 he actually had us playing some decent stuff. Forestieri came back from injury on top form, Joao found his feet at this level again and Nuhiu became a machine for a couple of months.

More than meets the eye with the Luhukay appointment. It was just a strange year altogether and things didn’t add up. But things still don’t add up with the club now. We were calling for an inquest before coronavirus. Remember Monk saying the problems behind the scenes are huge?

God knows what goes on. The one thing I thank coronavirus for is taking my mind off the absolute circus that is our football club. 

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 16.41.54.jpg

Matt Penney came on after 72 minutes with the score at 5-2, so much improved once he got on at least! 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder what will happen with him and if he'll come back into the fold and succeed here?

I don’t think he will TBH? I wouldn’t be surprised if he moved somewhere full-time in Germany now?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder what will happen with him and if he'll come back into the fold and succeed here?

St Pauli only won 9 league games this season and Penney played some part in 7 of them. He only played 18 games in total which seems a bit strange given how many times he featured in a winning side and the fact that Jos decided to take him to Germany in the first place but then this is Jos Luhukay we are talking about!

I thought he looked good when he broke into the side but then Jos started using him in too many different roles. I don't think the Bundlesliga 2 is a standard we can look too much into as it isn't regarded to be as highly competitive as the Championship but I am glad we will have him back next season, wing-back could be a role he is suited to if we continue to play this way and it at least gives us another genuine left-sided option which we need.

7 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Daniel Stendel 'lined up' for St Pauli job as departed Hearts boss hopes for quick turnaround.

South Yorkshire seemingly a specific scouting area for St Pauli as far as managers are concerned. Took on Jos after he got the boot here and now going for former Barnsley boss Stendel.