Top 10 Best Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

9 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I would say Chapman was a far better ‘centre forward type player  than any other striker we have had in recent memory. If I was picking my all time best Wednesday 11 ( I’ve been going since 1979) Chapman would partner Hirst.

Chapman has a far better goal scoring record than Atkinson ever had. I would have to check against Bright.

Chapman as a goal scorer was better than Bright, Atkinson and Hirst. As brilliant a player Hirst was he wasn’t anywhere near as consistent goal scoring wise as Chapman. From 1979 to 1993 Chapman had one season over 30 goals 4 seasons with 20 goals or above and 5 seasons of 15 or above, all these in the top flight. That is consistency.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Not a league title between them, and zero appearances in the European cup.

Atkinson and Hirst in my ten as well but chapman a better player than bright. 

Chapman had a very good goal scoring record and was very effective at what he did, particularly under Wilkinson's style. Don't think his all round game was as good as any of the 3 you mention as I don't think he would have adapted to other teams as well.

Having a league title and having played in the European Cup is hardly a great barometer on its own. Are you saying every player in that Leeds squad was better than anyone we have because they have a league title to their name? I could name a fair few average players that have appeared in the European Cup. 

Edited by Guest

When looking at our best 10 players, I’d usually pick players who were here between 1990 and 1994 as they were the best players (certainly in my lifetime).

So looking a little after this I’d also add the following possible additions:

Dan Petrescu

Emerson Thome

Nicholas Alexanderson

Paolo Di Canio

Benito Carbone

Marc Degryse

All very good players and would make many fans best 11’s were it not for the likes of Hirst, Waddle, Bright, Sheridan, Walker, Nilsson etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Martin Hodge (just for that double save at Whitehart Lane)

Nillson

Pearson (not had a leader like him since)

Warhust

Walker

Sheridan

Curran 

Waddle

Hirst

Carbone

Very similar to mine but I think I'd go for Palmer and Di Canio above Hodge and Warhurst. Most of Hodge's time was before I was old enough to properly understand individual performances and one of my main memories of him was getting beat from the opposite end of the pitch by handsome Steve Orgizovic! 

I'd also have to pick someone else instead of Curran as before my time but want to leave him in for what I have seen of him.

Don't think there are many leaders around at the top level quite like Pearson, even now as a manager he seems to have a style of his own. 

Edited by Guest

My best Wednesday team

Hodge

Nilsson

Worthington

Lyons (C)

Walker

Waddle

Sheridan

Palmer

Di Canio

Hirst

Chapman

subs

Pressman

Curran

Bannister

Shelton

Mark Smith

Warhurst

Sterland

Near misses for Carbone, Marwood, Shirtliff, Thome, Petrescu

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I would say Chapman was a far better ‘centre forward type player  than any other striker we have had in recent memory. If I was picking my all time best Wednesday 11 ( I’ve been going since 1979) Chapman would partner Hirst.

Chapman has a far better goal scoring record than Atkinson ever had. I would have to check against Bright.

If we had Chapman now he would be very suited to the style of play we currently have same as back in the day with when Wilko had us. He wasn't a patch on Hirst, Atkinson and Bright.

29 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

If we had Chapman now he would be very suited to the style of play we currently have same as back in the day with when Wilko had us. He wasn't a patch on Hirst, Atkinson and Bright.

I wouldnt compare how we play under monk to how we played with wilko's team .back in the day it was pace ,power,aggression and no little skill .....as for chappy  he ranks alongside john ritchie for aerial  ability but like you say couldn't hold a candle to hirst or Atkinson on the deck .

39 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

OMG yes!

If ever a player summed up our current squad it'd be Lee Chapman

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Far better goal scorer than all 3 though.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

I wouldnt compare how we play under monk to how we played with wilko's team .back in the day it was pace ,power,aggression and no little skill .....as for chappy  he ranks alongside john ritchie for aerial  ability but like you say couldn't hold a candle to hirst or Atkinson on the deck .

Hirst in the air was better than Chapman

1. Di Canio - Purely for the entertainment factor
  2. Hirst - Should have had a longer England career, when he ran at goal brushing defenders off - magical
  3. Waddle - A god
  4. Sheridan - A lesser God 
  5. Roland Nillson - So Professional oozed class
  6. Dan Petrescu - Very underrated
  7. Carlton Palmer - Would run for ever 
  8. Mark Bright - Again underrated 
  9. Terry Curran - You know why
  10. Walker - Unhurried and calm  

Could have added loads of others, I can never decided who the best goalkeeper I have seen.  Only hazy memories of Springett so would controversially go for Chris Woods. 

Chapman scored 63 goals in 149 games for Wednesday

Hirst 106 in 294 games

Bright 48 in 133 games

Atkinson 10 in 38.

Chapmans goal scoring puts the rest to shame and he was bloody good for Forest and Leeds after he left.  He was some footballer.  I will always have David E Hirst as our best striker of last 40 years, but Chapman runs him close and would get you a goal more often.  He would always make this sort of list for me.

21 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Chapman was a magnificent striker. Won Leeds the league shortly after leaving us.

we haven’t had a better target man/ lead striker since. 

True.

Didn't he score 20 goals a season for 3 seasons with us?.

Maybe if he was called Chapmanio?.😉