Top 10 Best Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

1 minute ago, sexpistol said:

Oh dear, childish insult alert.

I missed only a handful of games in the 91/92 and 92/93 season. Woods had decent games, but he was abysmal on crosses and I always felt he was just as likely to cost us a game than keep us in it.

Pressman and Hodge we’re far superior in my opinion and I guess would be regarded as such by most Wednesday fans. Both Hodge and Pressman were unlucky not to get an England cap.

Going back to Woods, you very rarely hear any Wednesday fan speak highly of him.

Sorry about the "childish insult" I wrote it in playful banter. 

As I said it's difficult to make a case for him because of those high profile games.  Hodge and Pressman also made mistakes just not in such much in those type of games.

I also think he suffered from the high price we paid for him, expectations from the fans were higher for him.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sorry about the "childish insult" I wrote it in playful banter. 

As I said it's difficult to make a case for him because of those high profile games.  Hodge and Pressman also made mistakes just not in such much in those type of games.

I also think he suffered from the high price we paid for him, expectations from the fans were higher for him.

I agree that Woods was a better keeper than Pressman. Pressman made a lot more errors than Woods.

Not even sure I agree on the high profile games point - Woods played 3 semi-finals and 3 finals in 1993, and you're really only talking about the 121st minute of the 6th of those games where he makes a significant error. And he did pull off some great saves in those matches - e.g. a brilliant reflex save from Colin Hendry that would have brought Rovers back to 4-3. If you're being really harsh he could maybe have done better on the 1-on-1 with Alan Cork in the semi-final, but that pales into insignificance of the hash Pressman made of the 1-on-1 with Giggs in the 1994 semi-final at Old Trafford.

Pressman played 3 semi-finals in his whole career for us, and the 25 yard pee-roller he let in from Mark Hughes at Hillsboro was a far worse error than the Woods/Linighan header, which was point blank. He also let a weak McClair header beat him at his near post. So 3 errors in 3 semi-finals, compared to Woods's 1 in 6. 

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I agree that Woods was a better keeper than Pressman. Pressman made a lot more errors than Woods.

Not even sure I agree on the high profile games point - Woods played 3 semi-finals and 3 finals in 1993, and you're really only talking about the 121st minute of the 6th of those games where he makes a significant error. And he did pull off some great saves in those matches - e.g. a brilliant reflex save from Colin Hendry that would have brought Rovers back to 4-3. If you're being really harsh he could maybe have done better on the 1-on-1 with Alan Cork in the semi-final, but that pales into insignificance of the hash Pressman made of the 1-on-1 with Giggs in the 1994 semi-final at Old Trafford.

Pressman played 3 semi-finals in his whole career for us, and the 25 yard pee-roller he let in from Mark Hughes at Hillsboro was a far worse error than the Woods/Linighan header, which was point blank. He also let a weak McClair header beat him at his near post. So 3 errors in 3 semi-finals, compared to Woods's 1 in 6. 

The cavalry 

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Oh dear, childish insult alert.

I missed only a handful of games in the 91/92 and 92/93 season. Woods had decent games, but he was abysmal on crosses and I always felt he was just as likely to cost us a game than keep us in it.

Pressman and Hodge we’re far superior in my opinion and I guess would be regarded as such by most Wednesday fans. Both Hodge and Pressman were unlucky not to get an England cap.

Going back to Woods, you very rarely hear any Wednesday fan speak highly of him.

Woods was suspect on crosses for sure but the reason most fans don't speak highly of him is because of his high profile mistakes which is understandable. He had some really good games for us in 1991-92 and 1992-93 - standout performances that justified his England status at the time.

Unfortunately he chose both the home and away game of the first steel city derbies at top flight level in decades to drop major clangers and then did the same in our first FA Cup final for nearly 20 years - not the way to endear yourself to fans and likely to be the main memories when looking back at his time with us. 

One of my first memories of Hodge was getting beat from 80 yards away by Steve Ogrizovic so he was hardly immune to mistakes but didn't make them on as a big a stage as Woods.

Pressman replaced Woods at the right time as Woods was shocking for 2 or 3 games at the start of 93/94 but he wasn't mistake free either, trying to do chips ups in his 6-yard box at Wimbledon a particularly memorable gaff and he chucked one in in the League Cup semi-final against Man Ure. 

48 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Woods was suspect on crosses for sure but the reason most fans don't speak highly of him is because of his high profile mistakes which is understandable. He had some really good games for us in 1991-92 and 1992-93 - standout performances that justified his England status at the time.

Unfortunately he chose both the home and away game of the first steel city derbies at top flight level in decades to drop major clangers and then did the same in our first FA Cup final for nearly 20 years - not the way to endear yourself to fans and likely to be the main memories when looking back at his time with us. 

One of my first memories of Hodge was getting beat from 80 yards away by Steve Ogrizovic so he was hardly immune to mistakes but didn't make them on as a big a stage as Woods.

Pressman replaced Woods at the right time as Woods was shocking for 2 or 3 games at the start of 93/94 but he wasn't mistake free either, trying to do chips ups in his 6-yard box at Wimbledon a particularly memorable gaff and he chucked one in in the League Cup semi-final against Man Ure. 

Hodge is the best keeper I’ve seen at Wednesday. I can’t remember him making many gaffs until his last season with us. The worst one was against Arsenal in a league cup QF at Hillsborough. His firm seemed to dip dramatically at that time.

As for the Ogrizovic goal, I don’t blame him for that. It was very windy and that played a huge part in that goal.

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sorry, being a pedant again, but it was our actually first FA Cup final in about 5 days.

I'm just not sure we get to the FA Cup final either with Pressman in goal - he was the kind of keeper you would find in a lower midtable/relegation threatened team (which we were most of the time he played for us - when we weren't in the second division). Could be brilliant on his day but would let in 10-15 soft goals a season. Woods was more consistent.

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Sorry, being a pedant again, but it was our actually first FA Cup final in about 5 days.

I'm just not sure we get to the FA Cup final either with Pressman in goal - he was the kind of keeper you would find in a lower midtable/relegation threatened team (which we were most of the time he played for us - when we weren't in the second division). Could be brilliant on his day but would let in 10-15 soft goals a season. Woods was more consistent.

That is very pedantic given that it was essentially the same final - we didn't get to 2 FA Cup finals in 1993, that's not how it works! 

I think you are being a bit harsh on Pressman, at his peak he was better than a relegation-threatened teams number 1 but he did make daft mistakes. 

The fact is, if Woods hadn't dropped clangers that cost us results in 3 of the highest profile games we had during his spell then he would be remembered more favourably. 

10 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

So are you saying that we wouldn’t have beaten the blunts in the semi with Pressman in goal? Woods had nothing to do in that game other than pick the ball out of the net once and I think most would say he had some of the blame with their goal, however that is forgotten due to how dominant we were and we won.

In the 93 replay he made a howler near the end of normal time ( I think) when he almost spilled a shot ( by Merson I think) into his net.  Everybody makes errors but Arsenals winning goal was a horrendous error that a Sunday league keeper would have dealt with. A header straight at you which you either catch or most likely tip over the bar. Woods gets his positioning all wrong and pushes it into the net. If anybody can bare to watch it look at Woods before the corner was taken his positioning is shocking, this from a supposed top keeper.

Edited by sexpistol

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

So are you saying that we wouldn’t have beaten the blunts in the semi with Pressman in goal?

No, but Woods did keep 3 clean sheets at Hillsboro to help us get to the semi-final. It's possible this might not have happened if we had an slightly inferior keeper in the team.

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

No, but Woods did keep 3 clean sheets at Hillsboro to help us get to the semi-final. It's possible this might not have happened if we had an slightly inferior keeper in the team.

To be fair the 3 games you referenced were all against lower level teams we were expected to beat. In the 3-3 draw against Derby Woods was poor on the second goal.

Edited by sexpistol

34 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

To be fair the 3 games you referenced were all against lower level teams we were expected to beat. In the 3-3 draw against Derby Woods was poor on the second goal.

Agree in the clean sheets in the FA Cup run not necessarily being of great significance in terms of his performance but I've just watched the goals from the Derby game back and to put Woods at fault for the 2nd is incredibly harsh. 

48 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

13 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agree in the clean sheets in the FA Cup run not necessarily being of great significance in terms of his performance but I've just watched the goals from the Derby game back and to put Woods at fault for the 2nd is incredibly harsh. 

Whereas this for example is a clear goalkeeping error that results in us losing a League Cup Quarter Final 1-0: