Top 10 Best Sheffield Wednesday players of all time

1 minute ago, sexpistol said:

I’m sorry but that isn’t true is it. In recent memory, we haven’t had a striker who headed a ball better than Chapman.

Plus he used to terrify defenders.

He wouldn't get a game in todays game as being to aggressive and Physical.

10 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

For the record, David Hirst is my all time favourite Wednesday player, and the best striker we have had in my lifetime, but for someone to suggest Hirst was better in the air than Chapman is laughable.

David Layne was better than both of them...and a better header than both of them

8 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

David Layne was better than both of them...and a better header than both of them

Well before my time so I can’t comment. I’ve looked up his record though. 30 goals in his first season and 28 the season after. Then we all know what happened.

Edited by sexpistol

On 09/06/2020 at 15:34, Inspector Lestrade said:
  1. Di Canio - Purely for the entertainment factor
  2. Hirst - Should have had a longer England career, when he ran at goal brushing defenders off - magical
  3. Waddle - A god
  4. Sheridan - A lesser God 
  5. Roland Nillson - So Professional oozed class
  6. Dan Petrescu - Very underrated
  7. Carlton Palmer - Would run for ever 
  8. Mark Bright - Again underrated 
  9. Terry Curran - You know why
  10. Walker - Unhurried and calm  

Could have added loads of others, I can never decided who the best goalkeeper I have seen.  Only hazy memories of Springett so would controversially go for Chris Woods. 

Woods!

Hodge, Pressman, Turner (I), Carson, Kirkland, Westwood.....all miles better and there’s a list just as long who you could put a case forward for being better as well

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Woods!

Hodge, Pressman, Turner (I), Carson, Kirkland, Westwood.....all miles better and there’s a list just as long who you could put a case forward for being better as well

I'd still have Woods, he dies by the errors he made, forgetting the errors made by others just not in such high profile games.  

Usually he was very sound and commanding and could pull of a wordly every so often.

Anyway it's my list, so he's in.   

• Haha 1

On 10/06/2020 at 22:40, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'd still have Woods, he dies by the errors he made, forgetting the errors made by others just not in such high profile games.  

Usually he was very sound and commanding and could pull of a wordly every so often.

I sort of agree, Woods undoubtedly won us points in the 1991-92 & 92-93 seasons. However, when you pay what was back then big money for a high profile goalkeeper you expect them to stand up and be counted in the high profile games, sadly that's where Woods got found out.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I sort of agree, Woods undoubtedly won us points in the 1991-92 & 92-93 seasons. However, when you pay what was back then big money for a high profile goalkeeper you expect them to stand up and be counted in the high profile games, sadly that's where Woods got found out.

Just think it's a pity that he gets overlooked.  Whereas Pressman and Hodge were decent keepers, Woods was a couple of rungs higher. 

Must admit it's difficult to build a case for Woods, because of those goals. 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 17:35, daveyboy66 said:

I agree, even when you count that header by John Ritchie at the Lane or Chapman’s against Arsenal. What a waste!

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 10:21, ZicoSterland2 said:

Hodge

Sterland

Walker

Thome

Nilsson

Palmer

Sheridan

Waddle

Di Canio

Hirst

Warhurst.

My best 11 over last 40 years. Have to put Roly on left to accomadate Zico but couldn't leave him out.

Warhurst up top?

On 11/06/2020 at 17:46, Gargoyle said:

Not one mention for Trevor Francis? 

Closer to 40 than 30 when he came to us, but when he came on for the last twenty minutes of a game he was almost always still the best player on the pitch for me.🙂

I was going to have him, but mine was starting to look to attacking minded, so wanted to spread the love.  On another day I could have just as easily picked him.

Your right those twenty minute cameos he could easily turn on the magic and to think I thought what a waste of money on a has been when I first heard we had signed him.

On 10/06/2020 at 22:40, Inspector Lestrade said:

16 hours ago, shandypants said:

I’d like to see Peter Shirtliff in the top 10. I think he was better than Pearson.  

I agree with this. Not that Shirts should be in the top 10 but he was to my mind a better player than Pearson. I think a lot of people see Pearson through rose tinted specs as he was a great captain and he scored a few goals when we went up in 91

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That was my point, which games were you watching then?  Not a pig fan, are you?  

Oh dear, childish insult alert.

I missed only a handful of games in the 91/92 and 92/93 season. Woods had decent games, but he was abysmal on crosses and I always felt he was just as likely to cost us a game than keep us in it.

Pressman and Hodge we’re far superior in my opinion and I guess would be regarded as such by most Wednesday fans. Both Hodge and Pressman were unlucky not to get an England cap.

Going back to Woods, you very rarely hear any Wednesday fan speak highly of him.