Is it time for .... WINGBACKS

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Three centre backs definitely doesn’t suit Lees, he’s not happy covering the right back position. What happens to our wingers?

Tom Lees should be moved on not be happy with him playing going forward really seems to have lost it.

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
11 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

That's only 10 players?

Counting not one of your strong points then!

11 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

How do we know Penney is raring to go.

St Pauli probably said to him you done well we are going to offer you a contract. And his agent probably rang him the same day and said Wednesday have taken the year option on your contract. 

We dont know what he is going to be like. The only reason we may have taken the option on his contract is to get a fee to sell him to St Pauli.

i'd not heard that he was forced to sign an option on his contract …..is that a fact ?

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

i'd not heard that he was forced to sign an option on his contract …..is that a fact ?

If a club has a year option on your contract then they can exercise that right. Jarrod Bowen would have been a free transfer this summer but West ham paid 20 million for him in January. Why, because Hull had a 1 year extension option on his contract. But without that they would have been lucky to get 5m for him.

5 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

If a club has a year option on your contract then they can exercise that right. Jarrod Bowen would have been a free transfer this summer but West ham paid 20 million for him in January. Why, because Hull had a 1 year extension option on his contract. But without that they would have been lucky to get 5m for him.

I realise that I just hadn't heard anywhere that penney had the 1 year option written into his contract .

With the right players it can definitely work. Odubajo, Reach and Penney are ideal for these positions. They become the focal point of the team as it takes the pressure off both defence and midfield, allowing them to have 3 CBs and CMs. Of the CBS at least one needs to be comfortable with ball at feet so Borner and even Van Aken could flourish here. Give Lees a marking role and then use Iorfa to cover with his pace. In midfield Luongo can hold and use Bannan and Lee to create and get forwards but also keeping one eye on attacking full backs from the opposition on their side of midfield (Forestieri can also track full backs as he can play slightly deeper than Fletcher). As fitness levels may be slightly off from now until the end of the season having 3 CBS and 3CMs could give us an added edge but the wing backs would need to be incredibly fit (which we know Reach is for sure).

I’d have no qualms using this team

between now and the end of the season using Palmer and Fox to come on after say 60 mins generally as Odubajo and Reach would have the crux of the workload.

Dawson

Lees Iorfa Borner

Odubajo Lee Luongo Bannan Reach

Forestieri Fletcher

I’ve seen no evidence that Odubajo, and particularly Reach, can operate as wing backs Not totally against the idea, but I’m not sure we have the players to make it work We’ve looked shocking when it’s been tried

Just now, gurujuan said:

I’ve seen no evidence that Odubajo, and particularly Reach, can operate as wing backs Not totally against the idea, but I’m not sure we have the players to make it work We’ve looked shocking when it’s been tried

Centre halves are not good enough with the ball at their feet, so it should be a non starter. 

4-3-3 for me. 

I'd rather have Palmer in midfield than Joey.

As for centre of defence, we had the ideal man in Hutch but that ship is way over the horizon.

Borner is the next best after but he gets attracted to the ball to easy. Lees distribution is awful and the opposites would allow him time on the ball until he eventually does a Tom Lee's lump.

A new centrehalf would probably needed but someone who is good with the ball and an excellent organiser come at a premium. It would either mean gambling on someone in a lower league or getting someone more experienced but the wrong side of 30.

We do have to sort the defence out if you don't concede goals you do not lose and it's a foundation you can build on.

6 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

I'd rather have Palmer in midfield than Joey.

As for centre of defence, we had the ideal man in Hutch but that ship is way over the horizon.

Borner is the next best after but he gets attracted to the ball to easy. Lees distribution is awful and the opposites would allow him time on the ball until he eventually does a Tom Lee's lump.

A new centrehalf would probably needed but someone who is good with the ball and an excellent organiser come at a premium. It would either mean gambling on someone in a lower league or getting someone more experienced but the wrong side of 30.

We do have to sort the defence out if you don't concede goals you do not lose and it's a foundation you can build on.

We didn’t concede many goals at all previously, but that was when we generally had Hutch sat in there

On 05/06/2020 at 11:53, room0035 said:

The only time 3 at the back has worked is when Loovens and Hutch were 2 of the 3 centre backs.

We seem to spend too much time adapting the formation for players we cannot play 4-4-2 because Bannan cannot play in the 2, we cannot play 3-5-2 because the defense struggle. We don't seem to have many problem playing 5-3-2 though.

We play a 4-3-3 because this gives us attacking intent, but we then get over run in midfield and end up playing more of a 4-5-1.

I have an idea though let the manager decide (who ever that ends up being) on a formation and we get players in, who can play that formation and get rid of the rest that cannot. I am a bit of a traditionalist with formation and have always like the 4-4-2 with two good attacking wide players, a defensive midfield and an attacking midfielder, I like centre halves that come up for set plays and a keeper to save more than he concedes and like strikers that complement each other.

Think Wednesday may not be the team for you then.. 

• Haha 1

Can't disagree!

Wildsmith

Lees Iorfa Borner

Palmer                          Reach

Luongo Bannan

Forieteri

Fletcher Rhodes

That's what id start with for the re-start!