Is it time for .... WINGBACKS

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 14.36.31.jpg

We have two genuine wingbacks in a remotivated Moses Odubajo and a fit and raring to go Matt Penney.

Attacking winger/wingbacks in Reach and Murphy.

Would mean a three at the back which suits Iorfa and Lees at least. Even JVA might be able to cope.

Would mean a three in midfield so we dont get our little legs overrun.

Fletcher plus 1 up top.

Sure Monks spotted this....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Three centre backs definitely doesn’t suit Lees, he’s not happy covering the right back position. What happens to our wingers?

It suits Van Aken whos not here and Iorfa. 

Plays to all the weaknesses in Lees and Borner game. Lees would need to be middle of the 3, but isn't good enough st organising for that role 

The only time 3 at the back has worked is when Loovens and Hutch were 2 of the 3 centre backs.

We seem to spend too much time adapting the formation for players we cannot play 4-4-2 because Bannan cannot play in the 2, we cannot play 3-5-2 because the defense struggle. We don't seem to have many problem playing 5-3-2 though.

We play a 4-3-3 because this gives us attacking intent, but we then get over run in midfield and end up playing more of a 4-5-1.

I have an idea though let the manager decide (who ever that ends up being) on a formation and we get players in, who can play that formation and get rid of the rest that cannot. I am a bit of a traditionalist with formation and have always like the 4-4-2 with two good attacking wide players, a defensive midfield and an attacking midfielder, I like centre halves that come up for set plays and a keeper to save more than he concedes and like strikers that complement each other.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, alan48 said:

Has Reach learnt to tackle during lockdown ?

Have we not learnt anything in 5 years shoehorning players into position they cannot play only leads to mistakes and losses.

We have been doing it with Pelupessy for 2 season now playing him in midfield lol

25 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

It suits Van Aken whos not here and Iorfa. 

Plays to all the weaknesses in Lees and Borner game. Lees would need to be middle of the 3, but isn't good enough st organising for that role 

Yep

How do we know Penney is raring to go.

St Pauli probably said to him you done well we are going to offer you a contract. And his agent probably rang him the same day and said Wednesday have taken the year option on your contract. 

We dont know what he is going to be like. The only reason we may have taken the option on his contract is to get a fee to sell him to St Pauli.

I think Reach, Fox, Harris, Palmer and to a lesser degree Murphy are decent wing-backs. 

Wouldn’t have Odubajo personally.

I thoughts Penney vastly overrated. But young enough to show me I was wrong.

I do like the idea of a 3 man midfield and two strikers.

Edited by Holmowl

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think Reach, Fox, Harris, Palmer and to a lesser degree Murphy are decent wing-backs. 

Wouldn’t have Odubajo personally.

I thoughts Penney vastly overrated. But young enough to show me I was wrong.

I do like the idea of a 3 man midfield and two strikers.

I would rather we sold Penney to St Pauli and used the money to tie down Fox in all honesty. Only position I can see Penney playing is left wing. Imagine him trying to play the way that Monk has Fox playing at left back. 

But like you said I am also hoping to be proved wrong and I am sure this loan has done him good.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

We have two genuine wingbacks in a remotivated Moses Odubajo and a fit and raring to go Matt Penney.

Attacking winger/wingbacks in Reach and Murphy.

Would mean a three at the back which suits Iorfa and Lees at least. Even JVA might be able to cope.

Would mean a three in midfield so we dont get our little legs overrun.

Fletcher plus 1 up top.

Sure Monks spotted this....

remotivated Moses? Didn’t Monk tell him to find a new club last week?