The striker situation

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Monk has resigned Pelupessy. That tells you how much the squad is going to evolve. Everything that comes out of his mouth is hot air 

Extending the contracts of expensive has-been strikers would be a much bigger issue than retaining a squad-filler like Pelupessy.

I'm not pleased he stays, but I can understand why the club have done it. We face 9 games in 4 or 5 weeks. Struggle to get through that with Bannan, Hunt, and a half-fit Luongo. Lee is unreliable, Hutch is gone, Pelupessy is fit & cheap. Of the three, makes sense he'd be the one whose contract we extend.

Instead of paying silly money for Taylor why not spend a couple of grand a week on Brett Pitman a free at the end of the season only 32 and has a good scoring record in all leagues. he has a 1 in 3 record across his career and has a lot of experience of the championship for me would be a better squad striker option and who not cost a great deal.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

well maybe 3 of those 4. We know though that the fact is they aren’t good enough. We need our choice of striker freshening up. I would have no problem if Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes and FF left. Infact I hope they do. 

We could have Kane, Aguero and Abraham up front and we still would not score goals with the crap we have in midfield.

How many more years of hear we can't play a 4-4-2 because Bannan cannot play in a two, or Luongo will be a great player when he is fit, Pelupessy is a good squad player (but to crap to start), Reach has scored some great goals (yes for one season and not a lot since), Harris has pace (but no final delivery) and so on

The biggest clear out we need is most of the players we have in midfield, we need players who can play 40+ games a season, don't fall apart if they have to play a different formation, have the ability to pass and cross a ball, are able to tackle without injuring themselves and the most important thing we have been missing for years a midfield or two who score goals.

Get this sorted with some winger who cross, some central midfielders who can tackle, attack and defend and get on the end of lose balls and crosses and we will be higher up the league. Start next season with Reach, Harris, Bannan, Pelupessy, Luongo as out only midfield option then get ready for another season of very few goals and a lot of heartache. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We could have Kane, Aguero and Abraham up front and we still would not score goals with the crap we have in midfield.

I beg to differ. Me and you could be in midfield and they would still score goals as they would just by pass us. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

If we had Nuhiu, Fletcher, Taylor, Young loanee, potentially Borukov it would only really need two signings. 

Sadly I doubt we are in a position to sign Taylor, sign of the times, he’s not exactly the next big thing either

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

well maybe 3 of those 4. We know though that the fact is they aren’t good enough. We need our choice of striker freshening up. I would have no problem if Nuhiu, Winnall, Rhodes and FF left. Infact I hope they do. 

Fair enough. Its odd though you ask your non owls mates (not pigs) or look on forums and most folk still think we are top heavy with talent

3 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Not sure about this. I’m not sure how much he will be on at charlton but will be much less than all out strikers. Assuming winnall and Nuhui leave this world leave plenty of room financially.

TS reporting a championship club has offered him a “life changing” 20k per week!

17 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Fair enough. Its odd though you ask your non owls mates (not pigs) or look on forums and most folk still think we are top heavy with talent

Talent. 🙂 they obviously haven’t seen the talent on show. Being serious though I personally think the whole squad is massively underperforming and selling the fanbase short. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

I'm absoloutely fed up of watching most of the players in our team. Only Fletcher is worth keeping for me. He's been superb both on the pitch and attitude wise. The rest can go for me. Obviously Fletchers wages and age make it tough for us to keep him too. Its a real mess that has been building up for years. From the top down we don't plan properly at all. Its so disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Extending the contracts of expensive has-been strikers would be a much bigger issue than retaining a squad-filler like Pelupessy.

I'm not pleased he stays, but I can understand why the club have done it. We face 9 games in 4 or 5 weeks. Struggle to get through that with Bannan, Hunt, and a half-fit Luongo. Lee is unreliable, Hutch is gone, Pelupessy is fit & cheap. Of the three, makes sense he'd be the one whose contract we extend.

Agreed.

Joey is no higher than 4th pick CM.

Bannan, Luongo and Lee definitely higher, and arguably Hunt and Reach (though he’s infinitely better wide.

Joey is absolutely fine as a 4th-6th choice cheap CM. Fit as a flea and works his nads off. Lacks quality. 

54 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I'm absoloutely fed up of watching most of the players in our team. Only Fletcher is worth keeping for me. He's been superb both on the pitch and attitude wise. The rest can go for me. Obviously Fletchers wages and age make it tough for us to keep him too. Its a real mess that has been building up for years. From the top down we don't plan properly at all. Its so disappointing. 

Really?

I agree about Fletcher of course.

But Bannan excites me every time he gets the ball. Harris is exciting. Reach can excite. Iorfa coming forward is a white-knuckle ride.

I don’t think we are far away.

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, unkastav said:

Probably because we are on paper.. Forestieri, Fletcher and Rhodes are all big names at this level. It’s just that unless you’ve watched us you wouldn’t realise that Rhodes is done and FF is inconsistent 

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Probably because we are on paper.. Forestieri, Fletcher and Rhodes are all big names at this level. It’s just that unless you’ve watched us you wouldn’t realise that Rhodes is done and FF is inconsistent 

Totally agree

26 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agreed.

Joey is no higher than 4th pick CM.

Bannan, Luongo and Lee definitely higher, and arguably Hunt and Reach (though he’s infinitely better wide.

Joey is absolutely fine as a 4th-6th choice cheap CM. Fit as a flea and works his nads off. Lacks quality. 

Why I have never got why everyone kicks off so much on here about it. Would we all go mental if we were to offer our 3rd of 4th choice keeper a new contact. Where he isnt on much less than Pelupessy.

Or would we just see it how it is.  He will only play if there are injuries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Really?

But Bannan excites me every time he gets the ball. Harris is exciting. Reach can excite. Iorfa coming forward is a white-knuckle ride.

Really? 

Don't get me wrong I like Bannan and he would be much more effective with more useful players around him but every time he gets the ball it excites you, really, every time? Even those pirouettes midway inside his own half followed by a square pass to a CB? 

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Really? 

Don't get me wrong I like Bannan and he would be much more effective with more useful players around him but every time he gets the ball it excites you, really, every time? Even those pirouettes midway inside his own half followed by a square pass to a CB? 

Mrs H picks me up on every word I utter too...

No, not every time, but for the most part, yes. Great player, and even better with Fletcher on the pitch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

Instead of paying silly money for Taylor why not spend a couple of grand a week on Brett Pitman a free at the end of the season only 32 and has a good scoring record in all leagues. he has a 1 in 3 record across his career and has a lot of experience of the championship for me would be a better squad striker option and who not cost a great deal.

lol

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Really?

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I meant strikers. 

Ans also I disagree we are close. We've played pretty awful football since boxing day, our squad is ageing and falling apart. Players that were once playing good and held value have dropped, we have no room in ffp to improve the squad and the squad management in general over the last few years has been atrocious. We are more likely to have a weaker squad next season in my opinion. I think fans expectations will have to adjust to that. 

• Like 1

The midfield is the problem and has been for sometime. We rely too heavily on Bannan. If we are going to persist with two in the centre, then we need a Carlton Palmer type player. Someone to do Bannan’s running for him and to provide a more effective physical presence.

I’m not a Reach fan but I could easily see him down the left and Harris down the right next season. As well as more creativity, we need more goals from midfield too.