The striker situation

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Only one we are left with is Rhodes if all dont sign a new contract.

7 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Also, I believe Fessi is out of contract in the summer too...

Anyone know for certain?

My understanding was that only Rhodes was contracted to 2021.

Nuhiu, Fletcher, Winnall and FF are days away from their contract expiry.

But I could be wrong - someone will know where to look.

9 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

The main area that really needs priority in the next window IMO. 

Winnall, Big Dave, Rhodes (I think), Fletcher all out of contract in the summer. Niether of which will ever score the 20 plus goals a season which is critical to any team pushing for promotion.

If no contracts are renewed then surely we are only left with Foristeri. Given the financial and contractual complications we face with the Coronavirus and the likely fines/points deductions, I actually don’t see it as an opportunity to ‘wipe the slate clean’ in this area as many seem to think. I think we may be left in a situation where we have no other viable option but to offer short term contracts to some. 

I was hoping we would go for that Lyle Taylor and the lad at Barnsley (forget his name) in January. 

Any other strikers in the lower leagues that could be worth a look at? It may actually be beneficial from a financial perspective because I think some clubs in the lower leagues may be forced into selling some of their better players due to the current situation. 

The only player in contract after June is Rhodes.

Fessi, Fletcher, Nuihu, Winnall, Borukov from the dev squad too.

We don't have any money, could well be under some sort of sanctions.

We won't be pushing for promotion next season unless it's from league one.

Realistically let's hope we can find a decent free agent like Sheff Utd did with McGoldrich. There will be a lot of free agents in the summer, we need to be smart with recruitment and also look for players we can develop and have a resale value. Based on our last recruitment though God help us.

Good work in the summer with Bruce and team, awful January window when Monk was finding players.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Anyone know for certain?

My understanding was that only Rhodes was contracted to 2021.

Nuhiu, Fletcher, Winnall and FF are days away from their contract expiry.

But I could be wrong - someone will know where to look.

The Jordan Rhodes contract situation is strange. Numerous reports say he’s out of contract this summer.

Here is one linking him with Celtic back in April which says his contract is up this June.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/rhodes-very-keen-on-celtic-move-after-last-gasp-swoop/

Even last summer in this article from the Norwich local “the pink un” it says we slapped a £7m price on him despite his contract running out at the end of this season.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-news-jordan-rhodes-update-1-6071901

I can find numerous articles that claim his contract ends in June 2020 however Sheffield Star seems to be adamant it ends in 2021. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Very strange you can’t find a definitive answer on something like this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

got to disagree with the argument that you don't need a proper goal scorer to help you get promoted

take last season as an example

Norwich top scorer Pukki 29 goals, Pigs  - Sharp 23 goals Villa - Abraham 25 goals

the current top 3 goal scorers in the league all are playing for teams in the top 6

if you don't have at least 1 goal scorer then you need goals from elsewhere in the team, something that we just haven't got

That's just confirmation bias based on a mere 3 examples. There are several examples just in this thread about how having such a player has little bearing on league position. Historically, I've taken on this argument many times and actually looked at it in some depth. There's no shortage of examples. One season I vaguely remember (might have been when Swansea got promoted to the Premier League) plenty of promoted teams did not have prolific goalscorers. Sometimes, it can be argued that individual statistics are helped by playing for a team at the top of the league rather than the other way round. 

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

This is a myth. Obviously it helps, but it really is not "critical". In the past when I've replied to this effect I've given loads of examples, but I've forgotten most of it now.

However, you only have to go back to our last play-off season for one of them. The only players who scored more than 6 were Fletcher (11 in all competitions) and Forestieri (12). We lost out to Huddersfield whose top scorer also managed a modest 12.

The top twelve scorers in the Championship this season so far includes representatives from the teams in 13th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 21st and 24th. West Brom didn't have anyone even in double figures until three games ago.

Perhaps not critical, but when you have no one else really chipping in then it is important particularly in our case

Guest ka58
1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

got to disagree with the argument that you don't need a proper goal scorer to help you get promoted

take last season as an example

Norwich top scorer Pukki 29 goals, Pigs  - Sharp 23 goals Villa - Abraham 25 goals

the current top 3 goal scorers in the league all are playing for teams in the top 6

if you don't have at least 1 goal scorer then you need goals from elsewhere in the team, something that we just haven't got

I agree - it might not be a pre requisite for going up but it certainly helps.

Whilst not an exact science, building a squad that scores 65-70 goals a session is more important than finding one player to challenge for the golden boot trophy.

Our squad wasn't too far off that pace before a poor run. 

• Like 2

Both arguments have merit but ultimate the better the football team is the less the need for a 20 goal man. In our last playoff season we had Wallace who would chip in with goals, Lee would the same. Plus we had  Forestieri Hooper Fletcher Joao Nuhiu who would all pop up. We didnt need a 20 goal man. Now if Fletcher doesnt score we generally dont.

Leeds and West Brom have goals from all over this season and Bamford would have had 20 if he could finish.

But to be honest id have a team with a 20 goal a season man in it if i could.

10 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

The main area that really needs priority in the next window IMO. 

Winnall, Big Dave, Rhodes (I think), Fletcher all out of contract in the summer. Niether of which will ever score the 20 plus goals a season which is critical to any team pushing for promotion.

If no contracts are renewed then surely we are only left with Foristeri. Given the financial and contractual complications we face with the Coronavirus and the likely fines/points deductions, I actually don’t see it as an opportunity to ‘wipe the slate clean’ in this area as many seem to think. I think we may be left in a situation where we have no other viable option but to offer short term contracts to some. 

I was hoping we would go for that Lyle Taylor and the lad at Barnsley (forget his name) in January. 

Any other strikers in the lower leagues that could be worth a look at? It may actually be beneficial from a financial perspective because I think some clubs in the lower leagues may be forced into selling some of their better players due to the current situation. 

Rhodes has another year left on his contract. Fessi is out of contract this summer. 

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The last player to score 20 in a season for us was Neil Mellor; when we finished 15th in League One.

Sadly wasn't even our player, thought he was a tremendous influence on the  side, could hold the ball up and bring other players into the attack, was good in the air and not to bad with his feet.

Will be very surprised if Winall stays but can see FF staying along with Fletcher.

Unsure what will happen with Nuhiu wouldn't surprise me if stays or goes and wouldn't be to disappointed with either decision.

Ideally we need to bring someone else in to freshen up the attack, especially if Nuhui leaves.

Whatever, if we need to sign 4 or 5 strikers before next season, is anyone hopeful of us being able to do that That’s a tall order when you can spend money, never mind trying to do it on a budget. 
Take our supposed interest in Lyle Taylor. He’s an OK striker at this level, not great, but probably a decent replacement for Fletcher. We can get him on a free, but his wage demands will be sky high, and he’s coming from Charlton. With 10 clubs chasing him, some bigger than us, it won’t be an easy deal to get over the line. 

Got to say I'm disappointed, thought at last I'd got my own thread! 😀

On the topic in hand, as we stand we've got Rhodes and seem desperate to move him on. We've also shown a desire to re-sign Fletcher. 

Strikers are a rare breed, much sought after and not cheap, but it's an area we desperately need to invest in this summer. Other areas of the team can be tinkered with, but the forward line needs a complete rebuild. 

I'm sick to death of non scoring forwards, might be old fashioned, but a strikers job is to score goals. I don't buy all the guff about all round game, if you dont score goals may as well go and play in midfield to seek plaudits for possession of the ball, tracking back etc as your primary attributes. Its like playing a goalkeeper who can't catch because he's good at kicking the ball.

Not an easy task by any means, but if we've aspirations of moving higher up the league, needs serious attention this summer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We need something new upfront, probably someone with pace and real power. For me we can get rid of Winnall, Nuhiu and FF. Hope we keep Fletcher though. If we end up re-signing a few of the out of contract forwards I will be really disappointed, they are players that simply haven’t been anywhere near as consistent as they should have been. Oh and Cruz has to go back ASAP, I just don’t know what he offers, really hope we don’t sign him permanently. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

We need something new upfront, probably someone with pace and real power. For me we can get rid of Winnall, Nuhiu and FF. Hope we keep Fletcher though. If we end up re-signing a few of the out of contract forwards I will be really disappointed, they are players that simply haven’t been anywhere near as consistent as they should have been. Oh and Cruz has to go back ASAP, I just don’t know what he offers, really hope we don’t sign him permanently. 

Cruz will be the sensation of the age.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

My example of Taylor, was to illustrate how difficult this will be. It’s OK us saying we can pick up some out of contract strikers, and yes, that’s what we will have to do, but if they’re any good, their wage demands will be high There will also be plenty of competition for them, as there is with Taylor, and he’s no world beater

In such threads we worry about being able to offer our quality players - Fletcher - sufficiently attractive money due to Covid.

But this applies to every club in the EFL and several in the Prem. Deals will be very different this Summer. Probably not the ideal time for your contract to end if you are a player.

• Like 1