The striker situation

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Look at his record at palace he has played 41 games in 5 years that kind of give you a hint their could have been injuries.

The problem I had with the Wickham signing was no attempt to get him match fit, he should have been playing every development game to get minutes on the pitch, he should have been an impact sub for us for the last 20-30 minutes to build his fitness up and match sharpness.

Think we saw the best of Wickham 5 years ago. Injuries have added up and we would be lucky to get him on the park for 15 games a season. Sadly this was always doomed to failure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

If he picked these 3 it doesn't instill much confidence. I was pro-Monk when he came but something has been very wrong since xmas. 

I don't think that all is wrong at the club is down to the manager - the current culture has been done to death and needs changing for the club to move on

37 minutes ago, billyblack said:

To be fair most people thougbt Wickham was a decent signing, on paper it should have worked, dont know what the issue is there. If you wanted to buy him what would he cost, millions i suspect.. No idea about the other two.

Several of us on here said it was a bizarre and desperate decision.

Hardly played and rarely scored in seasons.

He has had one short scoring spree on his career. It just so happens that it was here, so understandably that’s what many Wednesday fans remember. But look at his career record - awful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Monk has not had a pre-season, any of his own players etc. So his hands have been tied and he has played with the deck he has been dealt.

I will admit some of his team selections and tactics have at best been strange but he needs a pre-season and time to change things to how he wants them to happen

The worrying thing is, the players Monk brought in during the January transfer window have been disappointing  and along with other decisions, seem to have made us worse.

He said Da Cruz was exactly the type of player we needed. 

That doesn't instil me with confidence that Monk is the man to build a team. 

19 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The worrying thing is, the players Monk brought in during the January transfer window have been disappointing  and along with other decisions, seem to have made us worse.

He said Da Cruz was exactly the type of player we needed. 

That doesn't instil me with confidence that Monk is the man to build a team. 

Monk’s future is as uncertain as the OOC players IMO as does honestly anyone think he’ll keep his job should we get relegated?

Edited by Jim

Just now, jonnyowl said:

Personally I'd keep Fletcher for 2 years and FF for 1 but I'd think he'd want 2.

Let Rhodes go on loan somewhere and sign 2 strikers.

If Fletcher goes I'll be seriously worried.

but Rhodes and Winnall would tear League One a new one

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

In the light of the JP decision, do people still believe we’ll be signing 4 or 5 strikers better than what we had

Better than Forestieri's contribution the past 3yrs? ..and Rhodes'? ..and Winnall's? ..and Nuhiu's one prolific half-season in 7yrs? It's not even about talent. It's about productivity. We need an overhaul. This group haven't just gone stale, they're covered in fookin' mould having been here so long. 

Every player should be coming back to prove a point. If players are still being classed as unfit or injured then they may as well leave the club. Far too long have we carried too many passengers taking a big wage with offering nothing back. 

Edited by Mr. Chow

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Better than Forestieri's contribution the past 3yrs? ..and Rhodes'? ..and Winnall's? ..and Nuhiu's one prolific half-season in 7yrs? It's not even about talent. It's about productivity. We need an overhaul. This group haven't just gone stale, they're covered in fookin' mould having been here so long. 

I’m being serious now, I think we are resigned to playing in League One next season. We will leave Monk in charge, and get rid of the high earners A strike force of Winnall and Rhodes would be quite effective at that level, with Nuhiu, and perhaps a quick young loanee from the bench. Yes, we will have to cover the Rhodes wage, but it might be worth it if we are looking to make a quick return

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I’m being serious now, I think we are resigned to playing in League One next season. We will leave Monk in charge, and get rid of the high earners A strike force of Winnall and Rhodes would be quite effective at that level, with Nuhiu, and perhaps a quick young loanee from the bench. Yes, we will have to cover the Rhodes wage, but it might be worth it if we are looking to make a quick return

You're being serious?! There's no way we could carry the wages half our squad are on into league one. I suspect Rhodes wants out anyway, and Winnall is set to walk. If Nuhiu wants to continue playing for Kosovo, league one would kill that ambition. 

8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

You're being serious?! There's no way we could carry the wages half our squad are on into league one. I suspect Rhodes wants out anyway, and Winnall is set to walk. If Nuhiu wants to continue playing for Kosovo, league one would kill that ambition. 

Those big earners will be gone, as will any saleable assets, Iorfa, Reach, Bannan, Lees and Westwood

23 hours ago, striker said:

Agree it's a big job and the hardest, most expensive position to fill, but what we have is not the answer, proved over recent seasons, just because nobody else wants them doesnt mean we should keep them.

This seasons top scorers...

Fletcher 13

Nuhiu 4

Rhodes 3

Winnall 2

FF 2

To put that into perspective, Fox has scored 3 goals, Tom Lees 2. Our goal scoring record is abysmal. Whether difficult, expensive or not need to replace what we have as, Fletcher aside (for this season at least) what we have isn't fit for purpose. 

It's a sobering thought that Barnsley's top scorer (Woodrow) has 14 so far this season. Wouldn't say he's out of our reach financially, playing for a club at the bottom of the league having been in L1 last year and wee wees over most of our expensive strikers.

and Woodrow is behind Chaplin & Brown. 

• Like 1

Fletcher is more than goals, it’s his physicality, aggression, know how. It’s a bit of a lost art and the last player we saw with it was Steve Howard. Just difficult to play against for younger defenders in particular. Plus he’s a leader and sets an example.

Really hope he stays on but I can see why he might have better options financially.

Lyle Taylor would be a coup but he will have better options too. 

I think Nuhiu is different to anything most teams have and I’d keep him at a reasonable wage. 

I think the majority of the team is living off past reputations especially in central midfield and attack and needs an overhaul. 

• Like 1

You just know the next deal announced will be Nuhiu staying. 2 players that should have been the first out the door. I would rather Winnall stay and let Nuhiu leave if I had to choose. Actually I would rather we got rid of Nuhiu, Winnall, and FF, send Wickham back and get rid of that waste of space Cruz, and bring in some new strikers. 

46 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Fletcher is more than goals, it’s his physicality, aggression, know how. It’s a bit of a lost art and the last player we saw with it was Steve Howard. Just difficult to play against for younger defenders in particular. Plus he’s a leader and sets an example.

Really hope he stays on but I can see why he might have better options financially.

Lyle Taylor would be a coup but he will have better options too. 

I think Nuhiu is different to anything most teams have and I’d keep him at a reasonable wage. 

I think the majority of the team is living off past reputations especially in central midfield and attack and needs an overhaul. 

If Lyle Taylor would be a coup for us, and I agree, he probably would be, it shows you how difficult it’s going to be if we need to recruit 4 or 5 strikers

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If Lyle Taylor would be a coup for us, and I agree, he probably would be, it shows you how difficult it’s going to be if we need to recruit 4 or 5 strikers

Taylor would be decent but wages probably more than we want to pay