The striker situation

The main area that really needs priority in the next window IMO. 

Winnall, Big Dave, Rhodes (I think), Fletcher all out of contract in the summer. Niether of which will ever score the 20 plus goals a season which is critical to any team pushing for promotion.

If no contracts are renewed then surely we are only left with Foristeri. Given the financial and contractual complications we face with the Coronavirus and the likely fines/points deductions, I actually don’t see it as an opportunity to ‘wipe the slate clean’ in this area as many seem to think. I think we may be left in a situation where we have no other viable option but to offer short term contracts to some. 

I was hoping we would go for that Lyle Taylor and the lad at Barnsley (forget his name) in January. 

Any other strikers in the lower leagues that could be worth a look at? It may actually be beneficial from a financial perspective because I think some clubs in the lower leagues may be forced into selling some of their better players due to the current situation. 

Our club has got to be positive here. With the unease in the transfer market there are going to be some players out there that

need to realise that going into any contract negotiations right now is a weak time for them. Clubs have real doubts about where they are getting they’re income from and transfer fees and wages should fall as a result. 

no one is going to be out there offering a massive pay day for players like fletcher as no one has the funds. We need to act smart and hopefully we can do. Must admit though I have my doubts. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Niether of which will ever score the 20 plus goals a season which is critical to any team pushing for promotion.

This is a myth. Obviously it helps, but it really is not "critical". In the past when I've replied to this effect I've given loads of examples, but I've forgotten most of it now.

However, you only have to go back to our last play-off season for one of them. The only players who scored more than 6 were Fletcher (11 in all competitions) and Forestieri (12). We lost out to Huddersfield whose top scorer also managed a modest 12.

The top twelve scorers in the Championship this season so far includes representatives from the teams in 13th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 21st and 24th. West Brom didn't have anyone even in double figures until three games ago.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 9

Don’t be surprised if we re-sign quite a few of our out-of-contract players. That Kieran what’s his face (that expert on football finances) mentioned that giving existing players  new contracts has less impact on FFP than signing new players (even if the new players are free transfers or free agents). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

This is a myth. Obviously it helps, but it really is not "critical". In the past when I've replied to this effect I've given loads of examples, but I've forgotten most of it now.

However, you only have to go back to our last play-off season for one of them. The only players who scored more than 6 were Fletcher (11 in all competitions) and Forestieri (12). We lost out to Huddersfield whose top scorer also managed a modest 12.

The top twelve scorers in the Championship this season so far includes representatives from the teams in 13th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 21st and 24th. West Brom didn't have anyone even in double figures until three games ago.

Rhodes made a name for himself scoring inconsequential goals His scoring exploits never really achieved that much Goalscorers are often single minded, and don’t always make the choices that may benefit the team

30 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

That's true - Bamford is Leeds's top scorer on 13 (same as Fletcher, but he's started 13 more games). Robson-Kanu is West Brom's top scorer on 10.

Although what these teams have are lots of dangerous attacking midfielders that are comfortable in possession. We do need to rebuild our attacking options and attacking style - though I would prefer we did this around Fletcher rather than without him.

2 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Mellor didn’t score 20 in a season for us did he? Saw this in The Star recently too and didn’t ring true then... Wasn’t Steve MacLean the last person to score 20 in a season for us?

That's what I thought the playoff goal pushed him over the line.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Mellor didn’t score 20 in a season for us did he? Saw this in The Star recently too and didn’t ring true then... Wasn’t Steve MacLean the last person to score 20 in a season for us?

Mellor got 13 in the league, 2 in the FA Cup, 1 in the League Cup and 4 in the Football League Trophy, so 20 in total

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Mellor didn’t score 20 in a season for us did he? 

He did. I knew because I've used that example before, but I looked it up again, just to be on the safe side. The one before that was indeed MacLean, and then I think you have to go back to the early 1990s when Bright and Hirst did it twice each if I remember correctly.

MacLean got 19 in the league (including his 1 in the playoff final) and 1 in the Football League Trophy.

So if you don't count the Football League Trophy to bump the numbers up the last was Mark Bright in 1993/94 (23 = 19 league goals, 2 FA Cup and 2 League Cup). If you're only counting league goals it was David Hirst in 1990/91 (25 league goals & 8 in the Cups).

But it kind of proves the '20 plus goals a season' striker is a bit of a myth, when, counting just league goals, in their entire career for Wednesday, Hirst and Bright only managed this feat once in the league between them.

In fact I think Hirst has been the only player to get 20 league goals in a season for us since Gary Bannister in 82/83.

got to disagree with the argument that you don't need a proper goal scorer to help you get promoted

take last season as an example

Norwich top scorer Pukki 29 goals, Pigs  - Sharp 23 goals Villa - Abraham 25 goals

the current top 3 goal scorers in the league all are playing for teams in the top 6

if you don't have at least 1 goal scorer then you need goals from elsewhere in the team, something that we just haven't got

• Like 1