The "they are about to kick on and reach their full potential" thread. Sponsored by Theo Walcott

14 hours ago, scram said:

I believe he had 16 operations on his groin

He also has a condition that meant he had to (still does) take some heavy duty meds - and always will do

I think on balance he actually carved out a really decent career

Did not know this - what is the medication for? 

16 operations is madness, would hate to have one never mind 16.

23 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Disagree with Lallana - think he just reached his peak when he moved to Liverpool. Still really good at his peak. 

Dean Ashton always looked class when I saw him, just too many injuries took their toll on him. A real unit. 

Adel Taarabt always looked way, way too good for the Championship but could never push on. Seemed to have almost everything in his locker. 

Michael Johnson looked class for Man City when they started spending ridiculous money, then just disappeared. Was expecting him to go on and be a mainstay for England. Think he said it was due to the pressure of the game. 

For Wednesday - when Beevers came through I thought he was going to be class, just read the game so well. Then seemed to lose form and never got it back. 

Get this, Taarabt has had a resurgence in his career and is playing exceptionally well for Benfica in defensive midfield

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stoop said:

Rhys McCabe

Everyone got a hard on when he had a blinder for Rangers in the old firm derby when he was 18. Came here looked a world beater in his home debut v Birmingham then turned out to be useless 

He was never any good, I said that on here millions of times, and before we signed him, but the way Rhys’s career has gone is incredible. It’s plummeted even more than anyone could have thought.

Now playing for bottom of Scottish League 2 Brechin City who avoided dropping out of the Scottish League purely by luck. Still only age 27 as well. 

Wilshere is the one that really stands out for me. I remember watching him play for Arsenal in some preseason game when he was 16 and thinking he was going to become a pretty special player. He was unbelievable a few years later in that game against Barcelona at their peak as well, he bossed the game at the age of 19 when Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets (maybe the best midfield trio ever) were at the height of their powers. Real shame that injuries took their toll the way they did

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m on about Ross Barkley

lol

Sorry! I've had a mare reading a couple of posts properly this week, think I need to give my eyes a screen break.

Stand by what I said about Lavery though! 

17 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Wilshere is the one that really stands out for me. I remember watching him play for Arsenal in some preseason game when he was 16 and thinking he was going to become a pretty special player. He was unbelievable a few years later in that game against Barcelona at their peak as well, he bossed the game at the age of 19 when Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets (maybe the best midfield trio ever) were at the height of their powers. Real shame that injuries took their toll the way they did

Think a Spanish premier league player said awhile after when all the English media were saying we were going to have one of the worlds best midfielders that there are around 200 players in Spain with Wilshere's ability and he laughed at how our media hype up our players so much.

On 01/06/2020 at 18:46, belfast owl lad said:

Ditto Danny Wellbeck,aka Biscuit legs.

I seriously believe he is made from biscuits as they melt in tea, or maybe hes a whitch and melts in the rain.

Seems a nice guy in interviews, so maybe hes made from nice biscuits?

Or them crap ones hotels abroad give you with a tea?

On 01/06/2020 at 15:25, Burnsie said:

So, which players failed to kick on from a promising start to their career whether this is due to injury/lack of talent/built up too much in the media.

I'll start,

Michael Owen (could have been an all-time great if it wasn't for injuries)

Jonathan woodgate (was as good as, if not better than, Rio. Again injuries curtailed his potential)

Adam lallana. Always saw him as someone cultured and controlling the midfield like some form of Italian maestro... Never really happened

Sabastian Diesler in Germany too much too young.

Francis '"duck under the ball when it's easier to score and save us from relegation" Jeffers.

Might have scored the winner in a world cup final.....but Mario Gortze is leaving Borrussia Dortmund after the expiry of his contract.  

Edited by helmut_rooster
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, markg said:

Shelvey for me.

He looks class some times. Some of the things that he can do are better than a lot of the other English midfielders but he doesn't seem to be consistent. 

Remember hearing Spit the Dog (Jamie Carragher for those with short memories) speak about him saying he had to leave Liverpool because he wasn't upto it, then Liverpool signed......Mario Ballotelli lol

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Think a Spanish premier league player said awhile after when all the English media were saying we were going to have one of the worlds best midfielders that there are around 200 players in Spain with Wilshere's ability and he laughed at how our media hype up our players so much.

To be fair, Xavi said a few years back that he thought Wilshere could be one of the best in the world so maybe that’s where a lot of the media hype you mention came from! 

• Like 1

On 02/06/2020 at 13:31, alanharper said:

Joe Cole was touted as a wonderkid. He went on to have a very decent career at the top level of course, but he never became the world class talent he was billed as when he was a youth player. 

He was ruined by Mourhino