The "they are about to kick on and reach their full potential" thread. Sponsored by Theo Walcott

So, which players failed to kick on from a promising start to their career whether this is due to injury/lack of talent/built up too much in the media.

I'll start,

Michael Owen (could have been an all-time great if it wasn't for injuries)

Jonathan woodgate (was as good as, if not better than, Rio. Again injuries curtailed his potential)

Adam lallana. Always saw him as someone cultured and controlling the midfield like some form of Italian maestro... Never really happened

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

So, which players failed to kick on from a promising start to their career whether this is due to injury/lack of talent/built up too much in the media.

I'll start,

Michael Owen (could have been an all-time great if it wasn't for injuries)

Jonathan woodgate (was as good as, if not better than, Rio. Again injuries curtailed his potential)

Adam lallana. Always saw him as someone cultured and controlling the midfield like some form of Italian maestro... Never really happened

Disagree with Lallana - think he just reached his peak when he moved to Liverpool. Still really good at his peak. 

Dean Ashton always looked class when I saw him, just too many injuries took their toll on him. A real unit. 

Adel Taarabt always looked way, way too good for the Championship but could never push on. Seemed to have almost everything in his locker. 

Michael Johnson looked class for Man City when they started spending ridiculous money, then just disappeared. Was expecting him to go on and be a mainstay for England. Think he said it was due to the pressure of the game. 

For Wednesday - when Beevers came through I thought he was going to be class, just read the game so well. Then seemed to lose form and never got it back. 

Ross Barkley? Has done ok for Chelsea but people thought he’d be the next Gazza. Not done it yet for England.

Jack Wilshere. Class when he was younger but injuries ruined him. Real shame, I remember him absolutely bossing the midfield against Barca when he must have only been 18/19.

For Wednesday, I thought for a couple of seasons under Gray, Caolan Lavery was going to be a good player for us. Had plenty of pace and could finish. The spendathon under Carlos and DC seemed to put an end to his Wednesday career.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ross Barkley? Has done ok for Chelsea but people thought he’d be the next Gazza. Not done it yet for England.

Jack Wilshere. Class when he was younger but injuries ruined him. Real shame, I remember him absolutely bossing the midfield against Barca when he must have only been 18/19.

For Wednesday, I thought for a couple of seasons under Gray, Caolan Lavery was going to be a good player for us. Had plenty of pace and could finish. The spendathon under Carlos and DC seemed to put an end to his Wednesday career.

Don't think Carlos and DC can be blamed for Lavery. Didn't really do it anywhere else.

Barkley is a good one, but I think was just starting to come good at Chelsea before lockdown?

25 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Don't think Carlos and DC can be blamed for Lavery. Didn't really do it anywhere else.

Barkley is a good one, but I think was just starting to come good at Chelsea before lockdown?

He has improved this season. Only realised he’s 26, thought he was older than that. Still time for him.

Harry Kewell - Burst onto the scene with Leeds and looked the real deal. Moves to Liverpool, struggles, gets injured, goes off in the two major finals he was involved in and then goes off to Turkey. 

Rhys McCabe

Everyone got a hard on when he had a blinder for Rangers in the old firm derby when he was 18. Came here looked a world beater in his home debut v Birmingham then turned out to be useless 

Edited by Stoop

Ledley King, though mainly due to Injury. 

Also shout outs for 3 players who were phenomenal then almost overnight turned into very average players compared to what they were 

Torres

Shevchenko 

Falcao

And shout out to our own Mr Rhodes on that front. 

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Harry Kewell - Burst onto the scene with Leeds and looked the real deal. Moves to Liverpool, struggles, gets injured, goes off in the two major finals he was involved in and then goes off to Turkey. 

I believe he had 16 operations on his groin

He also has a condition that meant he had to (still does) take some heavy duty meds - and always will do

I think on balance he actually carved out a really decent career

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He has improved this season. Only realised he’s 26, thought he was older than that. Still time for him.

Lavery will be 28 this year and has scored 10 times this season in League Two, think we made the right decision.