Massimo Luongo

5 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Palmer was only ever back up to Hunt.

I think Carlos realised after that first season that he needed better than Nuhiu and brought Fletcher in to replace him. 

Totally agree and we do need better but they did contribute to successful sides during the course of 2015-17 which is what I was saying. We should have enough in the squad to be doing better than we have this year, losing games before half-time, conceding 3-5 goals too often and getting outplayed by most of the bottom 6. 

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I could talk tactics all day.

The conundrum of where to play Bannan is a great one.

Away at Leeds we played a strict 433 same as them.

Bannan sat deep but didn’t mark anybody and they didn’t have anybody in that space.

Phillips was their defensive midfielder and we just left him.

Meanwhile Lee and Luongo matched up with their other two midfielders and ran all day.

So we had Bannan sitting and trying to pull the strings and they had Phillips doing the same , Monk obviously thought that was a good situation for us.

After about 70 mins they brought Hernandez on as a number 10.

Monk immediately brought Joey on as a defensive midfielder and moved Bannan further forward because he knows Bannan doesn’t mark or tackle.

Great tactics from Monk and we won the game.

Move forward 7 days , Blackburn at home.

We play same team after a great win at Leeds. 
Blackburn had watched us, push somebody on Bannan and we are a shambles because he struggles physically when marked.

Luongo gets sent off by the looney Aussie ref and we collapse.

How do you continually get the best out of Bannan with his physical limitations is the issue.

spot on and good analysis, the thing is" Bannan with this physical limitations" is the key question and the answer is you cannot get the best out of him unless you have a set of legs with an engine and a fair amount of forward passing ability sat next to him, I hope Massimo is the answer

1 hour ago, Bakewell Owl said:

spot on and good analysis, the thing is" Bannan with this physical limitations" is the key question and the answer is you cannot get the best out of him unless you have a set of legs with an engine and a fair amount of forward passing ability sat next to him, I hope Massimo is the answer

Yes exactly, but there aren’t many sides that could operate with a two man midfield without getting overrun, and that’s why so few have just two We are not getting the best out of one of our major assets

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes exactly, but there aren’t many sides that could operate with a two man midfield without getting overrun, and that’s why so few have just two We are not getting the best out of one of our major assets

you are right, but i didn't mean just them two, i meant them as a central hub, when it comes to who else I dont know.

whilst you are on can you put me right on something, i remember going to Oxford years ago when they had the old ground with 4 sides, the coach had stopped in Evesham on the way down and everybody had had a couple of beers, but as we drove towards the ground i am sure i saw a house with a mock up aeroplane stuck in the roof, was it me or was it the beer?

13 minutes ago, Bakewell Owl said:

you are right, but i didn't mean just them two, i meant them as a central hub, when it comes to who else I dont know.

whilst you are on can you put me right on something, i remember going to Oxford years ago when they had the old ground with 4 sides, the coach had stopped in Evesham on the way down and everybody had had a couple of beers, but as we drove towards the ground i am sure i saw a house with a mock up aeroplane stuck in the roof, was it me or was it the beer?

I think you mean the Shark House, which was pretty much opposite the old Manor Ground Its a 40ft sculpture of a shark protruding from the roof of a terrace house in a side side street in Headington. If you google Wiki “The Headington Shark” it will give you the info.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think you mean the Shark House, which was pretty much opposite the old Manor Ground Its a 40ft sculpture of a shark protruding from the roof of a terrace house in a side side street in Headington. If you google Wiki “The Headington Shark” it will give you the info.

cheers

Looking back at some “highlights” and stats of this season you can see Luongo is present in most of our best displays. Feel like if we can keep him fit and playing in a midfield with Bannan, Reach etc. That we might not be so terrible in the last 9 games.  

Seems he’s one of those calm influences in the side, similar to when we had Lopez 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Looking back at some “highlights” and stats of this season you can see Luongo is present in most of our best displays. Feel like if we can keep him fit and playing in a midfield with Bannan, Reach etc. That we might not be so terrible in the last 9 games.  

Seems he’s one of those calm influences in the side, similar to when we had Lopez 

Strange how we see different things, I just don't see this in him, the game seems to bypass him and I forget he's on the field.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Strange how we see different things, I just don't see this in him, the game seems to bypass him and I forget he's on the field.

If I didn't know which thread I clicked into and just read this I would have 100% said a Joey Pelupessy one.

lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I'd say Luongo is more of a good all rounder than Lopez was, Lopez was a great technician but without the ball he had little impact. 

Really like Luongo, we need to get him in the middle with Bannan.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Owls2k said:

I'd say Luongo is more of a good all rounder than Lopez was, Lopez was a great technician but without the ball he had little impact. 

I think, by and large, Lopez did a decent job for us, but he was really no more than League One standard. My expectations are much higher for Luongo, once he can get his fitness levels up

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think, by and large, Lopez did a decent job for us, but he was really no more than League One standard. My expectations are much higher for Luongo, once he can get his fitness levels up

Problem is will he ever get fit. We never seem to get players back on the park once injuries start adding up. I would say the jury is still out on Luongo and he needs to play on a regular basis for him to make an impact.

11 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Yeah I rate Luongo higher than Lopez too, but that just goes to highlight what a big miss he’s been. Bannan has always needed a Lopez, Hutch or Luongo in midfield with him. Whenever it’s just been him and Pelupessy or anyone that weak  our team have struggled big time

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Another hop along brought in on a free and who likes the feel of the cushioning on the treatment table.

I can't say I agree with this, though I understand the frustration of seeing someone not playing regularly through injury.

I seem to remember Luongo was an almost ever-present at QPR for about 3 years and was their player of the season... He wasn't a 'free' either, we paid £1m for him.

I'm sure when he is fully fit (perhaps this break will have done the trick) he'll prove to be a shrewd buy.

• Thanks 1

Bannan, Hutch and Lee are all now 30 or more. I was delighted we had brought in Luongo, not least because he's 3 years younger so, in theory, at a good age for an experienced Championship midfielder. But when he plays he looks to me like someone even older and slower than any of those three. 

He's a bits and bobs sort of player: he does a few good things, sometimes very good, in the games he plays but mostly seems to drift out of games.

Maybe we haven't seen the best of him, maybe he's been struggling for fitness, maybe he's been carrying an injury. But, for whatever reason, so far he's been underwhelming. But I always hope he gets picked ahead of Pelupessy.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Luongo looks a decent player but his stats are pretty poor this season.

Unlike Pessupessy who looks a terrible player and his stats prove it.

Yet on the few occasions they have both played in the same team we have done well.

I really believe that the problem in midfield is Bannan, he needs to be playing further forward and causing problems for the opposition defence and not ours.

A cracking player who can pick a lock, but he is not as effective when he sits just in fornt of our defence, bringing the opposition onto us.

We would be a better team if he found his fitness and became a regular. He would improve us.

He needs a run of games to get up to proper match fitness but has never managed to have one.

He is obviously capable of it.Not only did he play 120 games in 3 seasons at qpr I think he was top tackler in the division each of those seasons .

• Like 1