Massimo Luongo

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

We need a designated defensive midfielder should we go with a 3. Someone who is powerful to give us another option. 

I’d prefer us to go with a three, it brings Bannan into play, but as you say, we’d need a new defensive midfielder

Just now, gurujuan said:

I’d prefer us to go with a three, it brings Bannan into play, but as you say, we’d need a new defensive midfielder

That would be my preference. Conventional 4-3-3 not 4-2-3-1. 

We would need to bring in a few players tho. Maybe 3 in central midfield, a striker with pace and movement to compete with fletcher and at least 1 wide attacker. If we decide to go 4-3-3, we would need to keep Forestieri.

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure there are other factors, but I take your point. If both are fit, would you say they should be starters? What concerns me is, if they play, and Fox and Fletcher re-sign, realistically there won’t be many change to the actual starting eleven next season. Probably only 2 positions available, a striker to play alongside and another wide player, if we stick with 4-4-2

Lets consider what we will be left with if Fletcher and Fox stay as the majority appear to be hoping for.

Keepers:

Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson.

One of these needs to go really. Currently it would look like Westwood but he is on a good contract that few are likely to match with 1 year left.

Defenders:

Palmer, Odubajo, Iorfa, Lees, Borner, Fox, Urhoghide. 

In my opinion we need better in all positions across the back - Lees has sadly been going the wrong way form wise for too long and after a good initial start Borner has been found out too often for pace and has a wide turning circle. Urhoghide is not good enough/not ready for a sustained run at this level, Fox needs competition. I think Moses is a decent player, hopefully he will settle in better and come good.

Midfielders:

Bannan, Luongo, Harris, Reach.

All have quality to play regularly but we need far more. A proper defensive midfielder, more wide options and a creative central midfielder with an eye for goal.

Strikers:

Fletcher

Rhodes 

Forestieri?

Two of these could well leave and the other has only looked anything like capable in a couple of games alongside Fletcher. 

Our squad and a fair few of our starting 11 needs to look and should look quite different next season but providing we make some useful acquisitions, Reach and Luongo could still feature regularly. 

Been watching how could Carlton Palmer was back in the day and how integral he was to Wednesday’s football then. He could shift the ball from one end of the pitch to the other in seconds.

I would love to see Dominic Iorfa play a similar role. Trouble is getting Garry Monk interested in giving it a go.

7 minutes ago, kernowl said:

Been watching how could Carlton Palmer was back in the day and how integral he was to Wednesday’s football then. He could shift the ball from one end of the pitch to the other in seconds.

I would love to see Dominic Iorfa play a similar role. Trouble is getting Garry Monk interested in giving it a go.

Getting Monk interested in playing football will also be an issue

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Lets consider what we will be left with if Fletcher and Fox stay as the majority appear to be hoping for.

Keepers:

One of these needs to go really. Currently it would look like Westwood but he is on a good contract that few are likely to match with 1 year left.

Defenders:

In my opinion we need better in all positions across the back - Lees has sadly been going the wrong way form wise for too long and after a good initial start Borner has been found out too often for pace and has a wide turning circle. Urhoghide is not good enough/not ready for a sustained run at this level, Fox needs competition. I think Moses is a decent player, hopefully he will settle in better and come good.

Midfielders:

All have quality to play regularly but we need far more. A proper defensive midfielder, more wide options and a creative central midfielder with an eye for goal.

Strikers:

Fletcher

Rhodes 

Forestieri?

Two of these could well leave and the other has only looked anything like capable in a couple of games alongside Fletcher. 

Our squad and a fair few of our starting 11 needs to look and should look quite different next season but providing we make some useful acquisitions, Reach and Luongo could still feature regularly. 

I would say we could upgrade in most positions, but realistically, we aren’t going to be in a position to replace many of the starters, unless we sell a few assets first

When Luongo and Hutch have been absent from the team we’ve been awful. I think Bannan needs them to play better too.  I actually think with Reach, Luongo and Bannan we have some decent players in midfield. Just need to find a balance and formation that works 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would say we could upgrade in most positions, but realistically, we aren’t going to be in a position to replace many of the starters, unless we sell a few assets first

We won't be splashing out for sure but then again nobody should be at this level in the current climate. It shouldn't take too much to improve on what we have in the defensive positions, defensive midfield and up top. Our problem may be having the right people doing the scouting/searching and making the deals though we were able to source the likes of Iorfa and Harris recently for next to nothing. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We won't be splashing out for sure but then again nobody should be at this level in the current climate. It shouldn't take too much to improve on what we have in the defensive positions, defensive midfield and up top. Our problem may be having the right people doing the scouting/searching and making the deals though we were able to source the likes of Iorfa and Harris recently for next to nothing. 

Perhaps we should divide business up into what is essential, and what we might like to do. As you suggest, the keeping position seems oversubscribed, so not really an urgent issue. Likewise the defence, yes there are frailties in a lot of the individuals, but until recently, they’ve been a fairly solid unit. Agree that a good defensive midfielder is needed, and then defensively we may be OK In fact, midfield is an area where we are short of numbers. I’d like to see a couple of younger energetic players brought in for this department. Up front, again we lack bodies, so we need to recruit 2 or 3 new strikers 

Any other incomings would have to be at the expense of selling some of our current assets. For example, we might cash in on Reach, who might fetch £4-5m on a good day, and replace him with a cheaper younger option like say, Nathan Holland, valued at £1m. 

Guest ka58
39 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Keepers:

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Strikers:

Fletcher

Rhodes 

Forestieri?

Stopped reading when I got to “Moses is a good player”

he’s diabolical.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Perhaps we should divide business up into what is essential, and what we might like to do. As you suggest, the keeping position seems oversubscribed, so not really an urgent issue. Likewise the defence, yes there are frailties in a lot of the individuals, but until recently, they’ve been a fairly solid unit. Agree that a good defensive midfielder is needed, and then defensively we may be OK In fact, midfield is an area where we are short of numbers. I’d like to see a couple of younger energetic players brought in for this department. Up front, again we lack bodies, so we need to recruit 2 or 3 new strikers 

Any other incomings would have to be at the expense of selling some of our current assets. For example, we might cash in on Reach, who might fetch £4-5m on a good day, and replace him with a cheaper younger option like say, Nathan Holland, valued at £1m. 

Agree with a lot of that though I do think we need at least 1 new defender who will be good enough to get into the 1st 11 either at CB or LB, but defensive midfield and striker is more of a priority.

As you say energy in midfield would be useful, there are 100's of players out of contract at this level and in League One, many will be out of contract because they aren't good enough but some will be looking for moves to bigger clubs. Also, harsh as it may be, there could well be some deals to be had on bright stars in League One as clubs will need to cash in at this time.   

8 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Stopped reading when I got to “Moses is a good player”

he’s diabolical.

An almost ever present in the Hull team that got promoted from this division at our expense and played 30 times for Brentford last season but yeah, just write him off already.

By his own admission he has struggled for form this season but it is refreshing to see a player stand up, acknowledge that and state he is working hard to improve.

He may have been struggling for his own form but in the 3 games he has played in 2020 we have won 1, lost 1, drawn 1. In the 17 games he has played in total we have won 9, lost 4, drawn 4. We haven't conceded more than 2 goals in any of the games he has played. Compare that to our record this season in the games he hasn't featured. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure there are other factors, but I take your point. If both are fit, would you say they should be starters? What concerns me is, if they play, and Fox and Fletcher re-sign, realistically there won’t be many change to the actual starting eleven next season. Probably only 2 positions available, a striker to play alongside and another wide player, if we stick with 4-4-2

It's a side that had us 3rd in the league at one point.

According to the stats he played 125 championship games in the 3 seasons before signing for us.

That’s outstanding, and in theory a good experienced signing.

He is the kind of all action midfielder that Monk likes in 442 , like he had at Birmingham.

If we play 442 he has to play.

In our current squad he has to play even if we play 3.

He covers more ground than anybody we have ( not as much as Lee at his best) , he can tackle and can also play just enough football to be effective.

We lack legs and aggression in midfield and he has both.

If I remember he had good games at both Forest and Leeds, two of our best victories.

I haven’t checked so if somebody says he didn’t play in those then fair enough.

Guest ka58
5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

An almost ever present in the Hull team that got promoted from this division at our expense and played 30 times for Brentford last season but yeah, just write him off already.

By his own admission he has struggled for form this season but it is refreshing to see a player stand up, acknowledge that and state he is working hard to improve.

He may have been struggling for his own form but in the 3 games he has played in 2020 we have won 1, lost 1, drawn 1. In the 17 games he has played in total we have won 9, lost 4, drawn 4. We haven't conceded more than 2 goals in any of the games he has played. Compare that to our record this season in the games he hasn't featured. 

pointless stats. hes been a car crash of a player for us.

in one of those games where we only let in two goals he gave penalties away for both of them!

lost us points on numerous occasions. Giving penalties away - getting sent off - constantly out of position. Useless.

he’s already been listed as available for transfer but bizarrely brought back in to fold by monk afterwards.

I’d have been impressed if after his awful first few performances he’d stepped up but he got worse.

Edited by ka58

39 minutes ago, ka58 said:

pointless stats. hes been a car crash of a player for us.

in one of those games where we only let in two goals he gave penalties away for both of them!

lost us points on numerous occasions. Giving penalties away - getting sent off - constantly out of position. Useless.

he’s already been listed as available for transfer but bizarrely brought back in to fold by monk afterwards.

I’d have been impressed if after his awful first few performances he’d stepped up but he got worse.

He started off OK under Bullen. The Preston game was a nightmare for him completely his fault, the Derby red card was harsh to say the least, looked as though he had been fouled. 

As the 'pointless'???? stats show, we have given away far more points without him in the team than with him and as said, he has been honest enough to admit his mistakes and make a concerted effort to improve which many don't.

As for Monk making him available for transfer and then bringing him back, I think that says more about his management than anything else, a few of his decisions can be described as bizarre.