Fox and Fletcher

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wednesday held talks about new contracts for these lads a while back

No updates though

Wonder what the current state of play is?

I think they might well have been put on hold by the club for the obvious reason. I would offer both a new contract albeit Fletcher on reduced terms to what he is on now. Fox is the best LB at the club but I can possibly see him being released if he begins to play hard ball and we would then look at Penney and Moses as the way ahead 

Guest wilyfox

Club right to hold fire, in my opinion. Fletcher has done very well and spoke of wanting to finish his career here. My worry is we hand him a 2yr deal, his knee blows up, and the club are stuck paying his wages until his pension pot is full. 

10 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I think they might well have been put on hold by the club for the obvious reason. I would offer both a new contract albeit Fletcher on reduced terms to what he is on now. Fox is the best LB at the club but I can possibly see him being released if he begins to play hard ball and we would then look at Penney and Moses as the way ahead 

Like +1.

28 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Moses Odubajo? The right back who looked lost when asked to fill in at left back earlier? Or are we signing Victor Moses (also a right back)?

54 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Credible plan of we are relegated to league one!

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Who’s gonna pay him the daft amount we have ? 

I think he will get other offers but as you say, taking into account his age, his injury record and not least the current climate of clubs looking at significantly reduced income for the foreseeable future, he is unlikely to get offered what he has been getting for the last 4 years. 

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

Think Penney is out of contract at the end of the season and hasn't played loads for St Pauli, so unclear as to whether we would keep him or if he would prefer to stay with Dross. If we're talking Odubajo then he hasn't looked good at RB never mind out of position on the left, so definitely wouldn't count on him.

Fox on the other hand is 26 so coming into his prime and has come on leaps and bounds this season, arguably player of the season so far (with Fletcher being out injured). Has clear resale value so would definitely pull out the stops to keep him provided he isn't taking the wee-wee with his demands.

2 hours ago, MrEdwards said:

A lot of people saying offer Fletcher reduced terms - I'm pretty sure he would take a better offer elsewhere if we did. 

Playing better than ever.

Im sure we overused him.

If it takes the same salary I would not hesitate.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Playing better than ever.

Im sure we overused him.

If it takes the same salary I would not hesitate.

Not sure about that mate .....I think the days of 30k a week 2nd division  players are coming too an end .....

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

Not sure about that mate .....I think the days of 30k a week 2nd division  players are coming too an end .....

Ah yes I don’t disagree with that.

But the same new world applies to any Championship club. 

Put simply, Id love him to stay. Magnificent player.

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

You should be right, lets hope so!

I actually think some of the better players who's contract are up ( at all clubs not just ours ) will be high in demand as i think alot of clubs will be spending no money in the summer so the value for them will be the better free transfers.

I like Fletcher, I think he has a big influence on us

But no way would I be sanctioning paying big money for his services

If he stays it would have to be on vastly reduced terms

We've been here many times before offering big contracts to players with their best years behind them

We've still not recovered from paying big money to aging players in the nineties

I'd guess that Fletcher will miss a third of next season through injury, he's at that stage in his career

I'd be looking for a younger version

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I actually think some of the better players who's contract are up ( at all clubs not just ours ) will be high in demand as i think alot of clubs will be spending no money in the summer so the value for them will be the better free transfers.

You might be right in terms of the best free-contract players having more offers but the best ones will have already been on good contracts previously so might well still struggle to be able to get similar offers from anywhere in the current climate, which might in turn lead to them considering the offers to stay if they can or move close to home when considering the upheaval that comes with a move if they don't get offered a big deal elsewhere. 

Also it is said that across the 71 EFL clubs, around 1,400 players will be out of contract on July 1st, with the state of finances in the lower leagues a fair few might struggle to find a club at all