The EFL Chairman : "The Championship needs a rescue package"

Rick Parry.jpg

'We need a rescue package': Premier League told to help lower league clubs out of £200m financial black hole as EFL chief Rick Parry calls parachute payments 'an evil that needs to be eradicated'

EFL chairman Rick Parry has pleaded for a rescue package from the Premier League with clubs heading for a £200million black hole by September due to the coronavirus crisis. 

Speaking to the DCMS committee on Tuesday morning, Parry made the gravity of the situation crystal clear and called for long-term solutions, also branding parachute payments 'evil'. 

On a video link, he said: 'We need a rescue package. We also need to address the longer term or we will back into problems in two or three years, they need to go hand in hand. 

'We’re heading for a £200million cash shortfall at the end of September, that is acute. But we need hope, we need a plan and we need clarity on the long term future. We can’t go from one bail out to another, we need to assess root and branch.   

'It is not a bailout but we need a reset. Parachute payments are an evil that needs to be eradicated. They give six clubs £40m and the other 18 have £4m each. 

'Lower down, solidarity is welcome but becomes worth less and less. Not a bail out but we need a reset, things need restructuring.'

Parry went on to reveal the extent to which discussions over a rescue package had taken place and admitted much depends on whether the Premier League can return.  

'The Premier League has said that if they are allowed to play, they can then talk to us about support for the lower leagues. Discussions to date have been limited I think it is fair to say but we look forward to clarity once more direction on their season. 

The former Liverpool chief continued: 'I am not sure survival is dependent on PL clubs completing the season but if it gives the PL clarity to come and talk to us it would be very welcome. 

'As things stand at the moment there is no correlation between the season starting and our clubs surviving. 

'The rescue package isn’t in place yet and if restarting the Premier League assists the Premier League, great. But there is nothing in place yet that means money would flow directly from it.'

When asked by the committee who will determine when the EFL clubs will return to action, Parry said: 'It will go through the clubs, I think the board technically has the power but wholly appropriate it goes to the clubs.'

As it stands, the Premier League are planning for a return to action behind closed doors in June, with players extensively tested for coronavirus and allowed to return to full training from May 18. 

The British government are expected to ease lockdown restrictions with the death toll and number of Covid-19 cases dropping, although a number of players and clubs still have reservations about a return. 

Owlstalk Shop

And that in a nutshell tells me everything i needed to know about the premier leagues attitude towards the divisions below,and good luck to you Rick in trying to sort out the "Parachute payments are an evil that needs to be eradicated. They give six clubs £40m and the other 18 have £4m each".

5 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

And that in a nutshell tells me everything i needed to know about the premier leagues attitude towards the divisions below,and good luck to you Rick in trying to sort out the "Parachute payments are an evil that needs to be eradicated. They give six clubs £40m and the other 18 have £4m each".

If you think about it logically the premier league dont need to give the money out the way they do. They could spread it out evenly and would still pay the same amount. So it must be something that the premier league clubs vote for. and if that is the case then dont expect it to change anytime soon, however much it should.

Edited by pazowl55

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If you think about it logically the premier league dont need to give the money out the way they do. They could spread it out evenly and would still pay the same amount. So it must be something that the premier league clubs vote for. and if that is the case then dont expect it to change anytime soon, however much it should.

Logically it makes sense to get rid of them, take the money and split it out evenly across the division. That is obvious and it would mean FFP would work, there would be no gap between clubs and the competition would be fairer. 

But why would a premier league club vote for it when you're basically asking them to go from £40m on relegation to £13m if its split evenly. When 14 out of 20 clubs are at risk of relegation each year before the season starts they would never vote for it

3 minutes ago, SouthStand75 said:

This is surely where Mr Chansiri has come into his own. Having sold the stadium £60 million, we should sail through the pandemic fairly stable as a club I would assume? 

DC is underwriting the cost of the club from his own pockets and has been a while. The graph showing reliance on match day income will show how much deeper DC will need to dig into his own money to keep the club running.

No Championship clubs and lower league clubs will sail through this pandemic I'm afraid. The Coates family at Stoke will be protecting their assets as betting revenues will have dropped significantly over the course of the lockdown

He talks about 6 clubs in the championship having parachute payments and how it’s hard for the other clubs to keep up with a fraction of the income, yet presides over a regime going for at least 3 clubs including ours for trying to keep up. I think you’re being a little bit hypocritical, Rick?

7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He talks about 6 clubs in the championship having parachute payments and how it’s hard for the other clubs to keep up with a fraction of the income, yet presides over a regime going for at least 3 clubs including ours for trying to keep up. I think you’re being a little bit hypocritical, Rick?

Because they are the rules and other clubs have managed to comply. You could argue it's unfair to those other clubs if we get off without a penalty. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Because they are the rules and other clubs have managed to comply. You could argue it's unfair to those other clubs if we get off without a penalty. 

Anything that p!sses off Steve Gibson is fine by me. Don’t forget the bastion of championship fair play had access to parachute payments in the recent past, did he not?

Plus we may not have broke the rules? 

Edited by Great Big Galaa

The contrast is alarming. He talks about a black hole of £200m for the whole of the EFL come the end of September and clubs on the brink.

Wage bills for this season

Man Utd £332 m

Liverpool £264m

Man City £260m

Chelsea £244

Arsenal £223m

11 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Anything that p!sses off Steve Gibson is fine by me. Don’t forget the bastion of championship fair play had access to parachute payments in the recent past, did he not?

Plus we may not have broke the rules? 

Indeed we may not. I've generally been careful to say that. But someone in the EFL thinks we have so they may feel obliged to act. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, doubleo said:

The contrast is alarming. He talks about a black hole of £200m for the whole of the EFL come the end of September and clubs on the brink.

Wage bills for this season

Man Utd £332 m

Liverpool £264m

Man City £260m

Chelsea £244

Arsenal £223m

That actually makes me feel a little bit sick

The only chance we've got of sorting the problem out is if the Football Lockdown bankrupts both the EPL and the EFL and there has to be a total reset, from scratch.

Government could then step in with laws on ownership (fans rights etc.) salary caps and so on.

Until that happens nothing will change.