Nick De Marco "Legal action is inevitable"

We scrap the season then the club that would have got promoted are going to look for compensation of lost revenue and playing in the higher league.

If we use the current position for the league those relegated will also look for compensation as they will argue that with 9 games left they could stay up not to mention possible points deduction for a fair few teams.

If we pick a point in the season other teams will not like this.

What ever is done someone will be unhappy it is kind of common sense but in the scheme of things when people are dying around us who really cares about football clubs and their player as clearly they have shown of the last 7-8 weeks they only care about their profits and the big salaries.

Gary Neville on SSN this morning saying it would cost the EPL £762M in rebates to TV companies & sponsors if they were to cancel the season now “as if it never happened”.

If the creditors refuse to waive this £762M the EPL will do “whatever it takes” to fulfill their obligations!

Guest wilyfox

Yes, I think De Marco is right. It's a legal minefield where football is concerned. There are serious financial implications for EFL clubs finishing the season behind closed doors. Clubs would also make legal challenges regards promotions and relegations across the leagues, plus qualification for Europe in the top tier.

Whatever decisions are made regards voiding the season, ending on current standings, or playing out behind closed doors, there would be justifiable cause for legal challenges.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Surely the sensible thing to do is cancel this season, allow promotion but no relegation. THE PL will be slightly larger next season but they can start a couple of weeks early. It’s the closest thing to “fair” I can think of.

and Liverpool don’t win a title lol

8 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Gary Neville on SSN this morning saying it would cost the EPL £762M in rebates to TV companies & sponsors if they were to cancel the season now “as if it never happened”.

If the creditors refuse to waive this £762M the EPL will do “whatever it takes” to fulfill their obligations!

Christ - those kind of figures are mindblowing.

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Christ - those kind of figures are mindblowing.

That said, would a void cost the league less, if that makes sense. 

Could it cost way more in potential litigation and lack of revenue coming in, down the road. Due to completion under restrictions. We all know league two can't afford to re start. Creating a domino effect re promotion and relegation anyway. 

Either way, what a bloody mess football has got itself in due to volumes of money. 

Edited by Maddogbob

Personally, if there isn't an agreed consensus to restart then I'd do a 2019 to 2021 season. I'd run the remaining fixtures of this season currently outstanding in 2021 and therefore not have a fulll season this one or next but effectively have this season finished off in 2021. It would mean the wait until games start again being into next year but you'd maintain the current standings and effectively finish off this season without the risks to life and well-being of restarting it too earlier (ie, in the next couple of months), playing at neutral venues, putting players at risk, etc. Its a tough one and there are a lot of drawbacks to any solution but organisations should really consider ones that would likely result in the least amount of litigation and not the most.

Alternatively, just cancel this season and let Liverpool play Leeds behind closed doors at Old Trafford. Just to see who cries the most. 🙂

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

So cash is king.....the health of individuals, the financial stability of 'normal' employees and the integrity of the game means nothing

As we know...

22 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Or alternatively they just don't allow clubs to spend in the next transfer window, that will more than cover the lost £762m. Surely they must be thinking outside the box on solutions which don't risk players health

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Wonder if it will extend to players if they don't feel safe to return to football.

Premier League clubs are already afraid they will be sued by their players if the return to football isn't a totally voluntary one.

By forcing their players back before they feel safe they put their clubs at risk of legal action from them.

The only way go is no football until the vaccine is available and everyone will be safe. Sod SkY, sod the FA, sod the premier league and the EFL. 

• Like 1

Guest freerole
1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

Nice Rollieflex medium format camera there. Apart from that, it's sounds kind of obvious to me that there will be litigation from one party or other. There is too much money at stake, which is 90% of the problem with football.

The other 10% is made up of L**ds and the pigs.

Bronica for me.

1 hour ago, Nut said:

Whatever is decided legal action is inevitable. We have a sue culture and whatever happens, someone will feel aggrieved. For me, the best option is to complete this season in front of fans at clubs respective grounds however long this takes then alter the following season(s) based on the amount of time available to play them. It's still not perfect as teams will have players out of contract, returning from injury etc so will be playing a different side than if they were playing now but it's the fairest way I can think of. 

Nope.

Still going for the one where we finish 3rd and go up.

• Haha 3

If the season isn’t finished and the option I’ve heard mentioned of Leeds and West Brom being promoted and no sides being relegated from the Premier League goes ahead, I fully expect every side within a shot of the playoffs to sue the EFL. We are 8 points off the playoffs so I’d expect us to be in that number.

You can’t award some sides promotion without taking into account the playoffs and relegation.

The only way the league can show that every club has been treated exactly the same is either if the season is finished OR it’s declared null and void.

You can’t decide to promote some sides but not others who are within a shout at present.

37 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Alternatively, just cancel this season and let Liverpool play Leeds behind closed doors at Old Trafford. Just to see who cries the most. 🙂

Brilliant, just brilliant comment

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

The only way the EFL can win is to scrap the season and cite force majeure. Yes, Leeds and WBA will throw a tantrum but they won't be able to prove they would have been promoted.

This 100%

Voiding the season may not sit well well with clubs, it may be horrible for clubs such as Liverpool and Leeds (aww).

But in terms of fairness, legal action and possible years of court battles. Voiding the season is the only way forward.