Chris Waddle blasts Sheffield Wednesday's recruitment policy

4 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yes he could have, and maybe he has since the development squad seem's to be doing it's job at this time.

Not every thing is the fault of Chansiri, how many fans complained when the club bought FF, Fletcher, Rhodes or any of the other players he helped to bring to the club?

Yes, he had his pants down early on, in the 1st 2 seasons, but seem's to have learned from that experience.

You could be bang on

Haven't the recent signings been more or less pretty decent?

Owlstalk Shop

Waddle speaks sensibly though points at obvious.

Our only recruitment plan seems to be signing experienced players who already got promoted from this league on huge wages and on long term deals.

It MUST change as we don't need players who were once good enough to have a go at PL football, but those that are right now or that will get there given bit more experience.

Big question is, what are we paying scouts to do since we are only signing well known players ?! When will we again sign youngster from PL academy that will prove to be good enough for Premier League football like we did with Whelan and Brunt ? Antonio ? When will we again sign lower league players like Lee or JJ who will become key performers in our side ? It seems that we are happy to settle for players that will never improve, will never earn us profit or get us where we want to be.

Our recruitment policy must change if we are ever to get promoted.

Buying expensive players on big wages without selling to balance books will get us into constant struggle regarding FFP.

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

But still in the same league as us, even though I do admire Brentford's model.  

We need to look at differences between the clubs regarding their backgrounds.

Brentford are prominent Championship side because they are doing great job. We are because we are not doing it.

5 hours ago, malek said:

Buying expensive players on big wages without selling to balance books will get us into constant struggle regarding FFP.

what expensive players have we signed in the past 2 -3 seasons ?......I would hazard a guess that the  money we got for joao & hunt far outstrips what we have spent in the same period ….

23 hours ago, GLOwl said:

He's determined to carry on the spat with DC!

Can't disagree with what he says, our recruitment has been poor generally in the time Chansiri has been here. We've generally recruited older players with no resale value on big wages.

Do we actually have a scouting system at the club that works for the club or is someone doing deals that benefit them🤔

I know our youth setup has improved a lot in the last 5 to 10 years or so, but prior to that we were a distant second best in the city to our porky neighbours in this department.

I'm sure most would agree that we need a totally new approach in the scouting and recruitment area.

Not really seem much produced from our youth set up. Still say just about every aspect of our club is poorly run. False dawns every time.

On 23/04/2020 at 21:29, @owlstalk said:

I wish someone would take hold of the football club because everything is there, the club, the fans are passionate, but I don't see Chansiri taking this club back into the promised land. Let’s hope he sells.

Too right Chrissie boy. 

Tell it like it is!

11 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

I completely agree. Even loaning our youngsters out doesn't happen often enough. 

Clubs like Bristol City, Brentford and Peterborough consistently outperform us in the transfer market. 

That’s true but, none of them have come closer to promotion than us. Their balance sheets though, probably look considerably healthier

17 hours ago, malek said:

Waddle speaks sensibly though points at obvious.

Our only recruitment plan seems to be signing experienced players who already got promoted from this league on huge wages and on long term deals.

It MUST change as we don't need players who were once good enough to have a go at PL football, but those that are right now or that will get there given bit more experience.

Big question is, what are we paying scouts to do since we are only signing well known players ?! When will we again sign youngster from PL academy that will prove to be good enough for Premier League football like we did with Whelan and Brunt ? Antonio ? When will we again sign lower league players like Lee or JJ who will become key performers in our side ? It seems that we are happy to settle for players that will never improve, will never earn us profit or get us where we want to be.

Our recruitment policy must change if we are ever to get promoted.

excellent post @malek

this sums it up for me, and this will only ever lead us 1 way....FFP/P&S troubles.

• Thanks 1

Although I’ve been one of the harshest critics of our transfer policy, I do have some sympathy for DC. His stated aim, however naive that may have been, was to try and achieve promotion within 2-3 years. 
probably knowing little about football, he will have enlisted people to advise him on how best he could achieve that. 
Transforming us from no hopers, to play off finalists in his first season, he will have thought we were well on track. Then for us to finish a couple of places higher the following season, despite a season long injury crisis, why would he not think, maybe third time lucky. The problem was, most of the investment in the squad was aimed at securing promotion quickly. Season three started badly, as the injuries again showed no signs of abating and eventually Carlos left. Was he sacked, or did he walk? 
I don’t know, but I’d imagine that by the time the moment came, promotion would have seemed a distant dream, and he will have known the majority of the short term signings, did not have another successful campaign in them. Jos was the wrong appointment, but did come with a reputation for being able to organise poor teams into a reasonably effective unit. There was no way a bunch of thirty somethings were going to buy into what he needed to do. He didn’t last long, and by then the purse strings had tightened, but the experienced Steve Bruce came in, saw what was needed, and with a minimum of fuss, started to turn things around. He maybe saw what Jos had seen, and Monk sees now, but unlike those two, he was experienced enough to not rock the boat, and to change things when the time came. Sadly, and again, not DC’s fault, Bruce was tempted by the Newcastle job, and things have gone off the rails again. This recruitment policy will be the way of things for the foreseeable future, so we need to get in a manager who can work within those constraints

Edited by gurujuan

Apparently there was concern about my absence from Owls Talk in another thread, people wondering if I’d been a victim of COVID 19.

Well, I’m hoping that by the time I’ve recovered from my recent death and resurrection, Owls Talk will have sorted out all the club’s problems.

Come on boys, you’ve had long enough, bloody slackers lol

Right, that’s me off for a few more months. Hopefully a load of contracts will have wound down by then and players departed, a lot of them have been well below standard for this league this season.

Up The Sprouts.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

what expensive players have we signed in the past 2 -3 seasons ?......I would hazard a guess that the  money we got for joao & hunt far outstrips what we have spent in the same period ….

What do you want me to say ?! This is a 2'nd season that we are in trouble regarding FPP so we CAN'T spend on large fees to buy expensive players. When we could we spent 10 m on a striker when we already had 7 or 8 forwards at the club.

We gambled it all on trying to get promoted in 3 years window, did poor job of it (after first season) and with series of idiotic decisions got ourselves in trouble.

12 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Recruitment is Paxo selling us his doyen cr ap!

Not having a go at you mate, but I keep on seeing this.  Is there any evidence to back this up?  Perhaps someone could list all our signings under Chansiri and their agents.

For me, this just seems like yet another lazy Owlstalk myth.  Happy to be proved otherwise.

39 minutes ago, malek said:

What do you want me to say ?! This is a 2'nd season that we are in trouble regarding FPP so we CAN'T spend on large fees to buy expensive players. When we could we spent 10 m on a striker when we already had 7 or 8 forwards at the club.

We gambled it all on trying to get promoted in 3 years window, did poor job of it (after first season) and with series of idiotic decisions got ourselves in trouble.

I don't dispute the policy was flawed but over the last 3 seasons that's changed and I don't understand why you think it needs to change again …..

On 24/04/2020 at 05:54, Bulgaria said:

Who ever does our scouting, I just can't imagine them being sat in a stand at some 2nd division match on a cold evening.

Which, if true, probably partly explains why we’re not currently getting it right recruitment - wise.

We should be looking to pick up people who are promising and on the way up in their careers, rather than people whose best days are behind them.