Chris Waddle blasts Sheffield Wednesday's recruitment policy

Chris Waddle.jpg

Chris Waddle has opened fire again at the running of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, this time taking aim at the recruitment policy..

"This is what annoys me about Wednesday, I don’t see a scouting system there," he said.

"Where are these players coming from? There are a lot of hungry players out there.

"You need to look into the character of the players. There are hungry players down the leagues who would die to put a Sheffield Wednesday shirt on and play in front of 25,000 or 30,000 every week. Who's buying these players?

"It’s sad because it's a club that is ready to go to the Premier League.

"I wish someone would take hold of the football club because everything is there, the club, the fans are passionate, but I don't see Chansiri taking this club back into the promised land. Let’s hope he sells.

"Some people say that Chansiri saved the club but for me he has a lot to answer for.

"Wednesday should have been making the play-offs every season [since he arrived]."

Owlstalk Shop

He's determined to carry on the spat with DC!

Can't disagree with what he says, our recruitment has been poor generally in the time Chansiri has been here. We've generally recruited older players with no resale value on big wages.

Do we actually have a scouting system at the club that works for the club or is someone doing deals that benefit them🤔

I know our youth setup has improved a lot in the last 5 to 10 years or so, but prior to that we were a distant second best in the city to our porky neighbours in this department.

I'm sure most would agree that we need a totally new approach in the scouting and recruitment area.

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

What's his angle.  He's very vocal of late about the running of the club.  I know he's a "fan" but I don't know where this is all coming from.

obviously someones asking his opinion

20 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

What's his angle.  He's very vocal of late about the running of the club.  I know he's a "fan" but I don't know where this is all coming from.

I have a feeling its maybe 1 interview he gave over the phone for 2 mins with a local journalist and he just keeps putting out different quotes from it each week to keep the story going.

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chris Waddle.jpg

Chris Waddle has opened fire again at the running of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, this time taking aim at the recruitment policy..

"This is what annoys me about Wednesday, I don’t see a scouting system there," he said.

"Where are these players coming from? There are a lot of hungry players out there.

"You need to look into the character of the players. There are hungry players down the leagues who would die to put a Sheffield Wednesday shirt on and play in front of 25,000 or 30,000 every week. Who's buying these players?

"I wish someone would take hold of the football club because everything is there, the club, the fans are passionate, but I don't see Chansiri taking this club back into the promised land. Let’s hope he sells.

"Some people say that Chansiri saved the club but for me he has a lot to answer for.

"Wednesday should have been making the play-offs every season [since he arrived]."

Wonder who the hungry players are down the leagues and whether they'd be good enough?

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have a feeling its maybe 1 interview he gave over the phone for 2 mins with a local journalist and he just keeps putting out different quotes from it each week to keep the story going.

Journalists would never do such a thing! 

• Haha 3

Entitled to his opinion like everyone else and is usually right in my opinion. If I was chansiri I would be on the phone to him and asking his opinion on what needs doing and who these players are?

Guest Bulgaria

Who ever does our scouting, I just can't imagine them being sat in a stand at some 2nd division match on a cold evening.

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Chris Waddle.jpg

Can't argue with a word of that, absolutely nailed it Chris and it's nothing some of us haven't been saying for a few years now.

Chansiri did say at the most recent fan event that he thought we needed to continue with the recruitment model we have.

If that means signing players over 27 on Megabucks, I smell quite a big catastrophe on the way.

I know it's easier said than done, but we need to try and make our recruitment less of a risk. We've made progress with Iorfa, Harris and Börner, hopefully there can be more of that this summer 

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Wonder who the hungry players are down the leagues and whether they'd be good enough?

Im guessing he is referring to players like Ollie Watkins, Bradley Dack, Kemar Roofe, Jarrod Bowen, Ryan Woods, Scott Hogan, .....the raft of French Ligue 2 players that Brentford have signed.......Mbuema, Maupay, Janvier, Benrhama etc.............not to mention of course George Baldock, Enda Stevens, John Lundstram, John Fleck etc etc.