Chris Waddle blasts Sheffield Wednesday's recruitment policy

1 hour ago, MrEdwards said:

Chansiri did say at the most recent fan event that PAXO thought we needed to continue with the recruitment model we have.

If that means signing players over 27 on Megabucks, I smell quite a big catastrophe on the way.

I know it's easier said than done, but we need to try and make our recruitment less of a risk. We've made progress with Iorfa, Harris and Börner, hopefully there can be more of that this summer 

edited

Agree with everything Waddle says.  Wish more of the ex players were as vocal.  Our recruitment during Chansiri’s tenure has been woeful.  Millions spent on players who are well past their best.  Refusal to sell players because you are holding out for a better offer.  Madness.

We need people in at the club who know what they are doing but I can’t see matters changing whilst Chansiri is at the helm.

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Wonder who the hungry players are down the leagues and whether they'd be good enough?

There are players out there as someone listed earlier but it needs someone to get off their arse and look for them and a chairman who will take the gamble and not take the easy route. 

12 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

We've sold 3 players in about 4 years..How can that be right for the club?

I completely agree. Even loaning our youngsters out doesn't happen often enough. 

Clubs like Bristol City, Brentford and Peterborough consistently outperform us in the transfer market. 

13 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

What's his angle.  He's very vocal of late about the running of the club.  I know he's a "fan" but I don't know where this is all coming from.

Suspect it possible that he's the cover for a massive Russian/Chinese syndicate to take over the club.  Stir up the fans and force DC out. 

The new consortium are going to build a massive 70,000 stadium in The Moor area of town. 

Heard two foreign gents on the bus discussing it.  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

What's his angle.  He's very vocal of late about the running of the club.  I know he's a "fan" but I don't know where this is all coming from.

He isn't saying owt we haven't all said on here many times. I totally agree with Waddle. 

37 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Suspect it possible that he's the cover for a massive Russian/Chinese syndicate to take over the club.  Stir up the fans and force DC out. 

The new consortium are going to build a massive 70,000 stadium in The Moor area of town. 

Heard two foreign gents on the bus discussing it.  

I also heard that discussion on the bus. Were you the man with the false beard and glasses at the back of the bus?  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

But still in the same league as us, even though I do admire Brentford's model.  

Very good point! Brentford seem to have an overall strategy where the team plays great football (even with a turnover of managers) they recruit players to fit there system and have no issue selling players if it means they can re-invest. 

Our style of play changes depending on who is in charge, our recruitment is a mixed bag (probably due to the above) and we hoard players only for them to be released at the end of there contract meaning the only way to invest is to break FFP.

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Chris Waddle.jpg

Chris Waddle has opened fire again at the running of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, this time taking aim at the recruitment policy..

"This is what annoys me about Wednesday, I don’t see a scouting system there," he said.

"Where are these players coming from? There are a lot of hungry players out there.

"You need to look into the character of the players. There are hungry players down the leagues who would die to put a Sheffield Wednesday shirt on and play in front of 25,000 or 30,000 every week. Who's buying these players?

"It’s sad because it's a club that is ready to go to the Premier League.

"I wish someone would take hold of the football club because everything is there, the club, the fans are passionate, but I don't see Chansiri taking this club back into the promised land. Let’s hope he sells.

"Some people say that Chansiri saved the club but for me he has a lot to answer for.

"Wednesday should have been making the play-offs every season [since he arrived]."

This is NOT down to Chansiri, more to the fact that Wednesday have never had a decent scouting system in all my 50+ years of watching them, or a youth development policy.

Just what is Waddo's agenda here?.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Couldn't Chansiri have introduced one?

Yes he could have, and maybe he has since the development squad seem's to be doing it's job at this time.

Not every thing is the fault of Chansiri, how many fans complained when the club bought FF, Fletcher, Rhodes or any of the other players he helped to bring to the club?

Yes, he had his pants down early on, in the 1st 2 seasons, but seem's to have learned from that experience.