Fletcher and Fox still to sign new contracts

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we are to play with just the one up front, yes three would suffice. All would need to be of similar style and ability, and key to operating a smaller squad, would be to have a decent U23 set up, where players could step up if needed Not sure that too many of our current U23s could do that

From the outside looking in, it appears they don’t have the first clue what formation they prefer or deem the best moving forward-so that’ll make renewals and recruitment more difficult 

We as a club in the past have let players go when we should not have, but we have kept too many player past their sell by date to then sit in the stands for the last 12-18 months of their contracts.

Give Fox and Fletcher till the end of this month to sign then remove the contracts. I think going on 3 months is more than enough time to sign a new deal. If they don't sign - thank you for the service for the last 18 months and we move on to other targets.

Me personally I would be focusing on the future of the club not just next season, I would be signing Borukov to a new 2 yr deal, Urhoghie up to a longer deal as it has never been said what terms he is on, Alex Hunt, Liam Shaw. All these should either be in the first team squad or loan out for first team football after signing new longer deals.

Fraser Preston is 22 now he really should be in an around the first team if good enough - I would offer a 1 ear deal with an option then loan out to league 1 or 2 for the first half of the year, if he progresses into the first team squad if not then needs moving on the same as Stobbs. I don't know how well Kirby has done but played a lot at Macclesfield before the change of manager and you have to think he will offers us more and be a lot cheaper than wasting money on Pelupessy, Lee, Hutch so we need to give him a chance to prove he is up to the task.

If any of these pay off they will save us millions in transfer fees and salaries and could well be a saleable asset in years to come. The £30k it could cost to keep Fletcher could be spent on keeping 6 or 7 youth players that could well add value to the team in many arears and also be worth some money in seasons to come.

4 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If I was DC, I would be whipping those offers off the table quick as possible. Come the end of June there will be so many free agents out there with potentially  a huge re-adjustment in the terms that are being offered then we may be able to get upgrades for a fraction of the money.

Correct. No offers at previous terms for anyone. Nearly all clubs will be in financial trouble including us. No one will offer what we have been paying. Supporters are suffering reduced circumstances, so should players. None of our players are worth what we've been paying.

Guest LittleG
4 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I wonder if £10k p.w. will become the new £40k and the top amount they can expect to see on a new contract?

With bonuses added

Would be great if that happened, unfortunately still think that money will do the talking.

8 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Would be great if that happened, unfortunately still think that money will do the talking.

Thats why there needs to be some capping or controls brought in by the EFL going forward. If its left as a free for all you may again get clubs gambling the house and we then get into another financial arms race. To make the leagues a fair competition either the squad wage cost or individual player wages need to be capped for the division they are playing in.

Guest LittleG
55 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Thats why there needs to be some capping or controls brought in by the EFL going forward. If its left as a free for all you may again get clubs gambling the house and we then get into another financial arms race. To make the leagues a fair competition either the squad wage cost or individual player wages need to be capped for the division they are playing in.

Agreed there ought to be controls/capping in place but can't see it happening. With the parachute payments handed out I can't see any way that capping will be brought in.

6 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Correct. No offers at previous terms for anyone. Nearly all clubs will be in financial trouble including us. No one will offer what we have been paying. Supporters are suffering reduced circumstances, so should players. None of our players are worth what we've been paying.

Agreed. Be like Willy Wonka’s golden ticket being able to afford a seat in times to come. 

Guest wilyfox
9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, me neither, but for anyone, it would be practically impossible to properly identify so many players, never mind integrate them into the squad. At a lower level it may be feasible, but at this level, it spells trouble

Off top of my head:

Forestieri

Hooper

Matias

Joao

Bannan

Wallace

Lopez

Sasso

Turner

Hunt

Pudil

Sougou

Wiggins

McGugan

Lachman

all signed 2015. That's 15. May be more I've forgotten. Bar the last three, most contributed to our best season in 20 years. Wholesale recruitment can work providing done well, even at this level.

Edited by wilyfox

not really sure any club would be offering any player a contract at all. im expecting league 1 and 2 and even possibly the championship all going into administration and having a much smaller wage budget the other side of it . we have a scientific officer at the minute in the uk who is almost insisting we have some form of lockdown for 18 months like we all need to be wrapped in cotton wool , that would mean football would be finished along with just about everything else. I aint a clue what will happen like anyone else but in mean time all contacts talks are off . the only way football has any chance of survival is by full administration and losing all wages and most expenses . all the premier league are interested in is money either from sky bt or overseas rights as for paying fan they are not included in this as they account for less than 10% of revenue so in effect the premier league wont be that bothered if games are playing in empty stadiums. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Off top of my head:

Forestieri

Hooper

Matias

Joao

Bannan

Wallace

Lopez

Sasso

Turner

Hunt

Pudil

Sougou

Wiggins

McGugan

Lachman

all signed 2015. That's 15. May be more I've forgotten. Bar the last three, most contributed to our best season in 20 years. Wholesale recruitment can work providing done well, even at this level.

But ask most on here, and they would say that most of them were not a success. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but barely two years into their contracts, a lot of people were talking about a clear out, and wasted money To be honest, we’d have probably fared as well with just half of that lot

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Steven Fletcher Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Steven Fletcher and Morgan Fox are still to sign contracts.

Lee Bullen gives an update to the Yorkshire Post..

“I think both lads are really happy and their families are really happy, so we are very, very confident that something can be done,” said Lee Bullen, who started the season as caretaker manager until the appointment of Garry Monk.

“But ultimately, until something is signed, you just never know. You never know who could come out of the woodwork and offer them something out of this world. Talks are positive and well down the road.”

”Both lads have had fantastic seasons,” said Bullen. “That’s in part down to themselves, but it’s also in no small part down to the football club in supporting them.

“Foxy went through a hard time and Fletch last season obviously had one or two injuries and never really got going. This season he’s been fantastic, he’s overcome that injury and is coming back to full fitness.”

Yorkshire Post article here - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-confident-keeping-duo-hillsborough-2539808

Still cannot believe we are offering fox anything...hopeless player imo

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

But ask most on here, and they would say that most of them were not a success. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but barely two years into their contracts, a lot of people were talking about a clear out, and wasted money To be honest, we’d have probably fared as well with just half of that lot

We were one win away from a return to the premier league - and it's a squad game, so I'd say they did well collectively and played some very good football that year. My point is, you can recruit in large quantity and still do well year one if the ingredients are there. We've seen quite a few clubs go up within two seasons. The idea of a three-year plan is wasteful - and failed in our case, as players from years 1 & 2 either got injured or simply couldn't maintain their levels going into year 3. 

Fletcher probably has 1-2 years left at the very most, 6 months of that may be disrupted at least. 

He's been a good signing overall, part from his injuries.  What do you do.  It's a tough call

Fox - not bothered either way. He's gone from boo boy to average first teamer. 

18 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Some clarification of the transfer window would help....but that is not going to happen, I assume we can talk to UK based out of contract players from 1/7 irrespective of what happens with the season, as they are legally out of contract

FIFA did a few weeks ago. Not sure how binding it is or how will stand up in court. Sorry not clever enough to do a link

9 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Off top of my head:

Forestieri

Hooper

Matias

Joao

Bannan

Wallace

Lopez

Sasso

Turner

Hunt

Pudil

Sougou

Wiggins

McGugan

Lachman

It can work if you’ve got a manager with a plan who knows what he’s doing. We don’t. 

Guest wilyfox
5 hours ago, Plonk said:

It can work if you’ve got a manager with a plan who knows what he’s doing. We don’t. 

..yet. 

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

..yet. 

Which is my point from earlier....no evidence of a style of play yet never mind a strategy for anything

Would be a tragedy to throw good money after bad, again, and end up looking for a new manager in November

We need to ensure that we have a plan for the current situation in terms of recruitment, style of play and very importantly re-engaging with the fans