Fletcher and Fox still to sign new contracts

Steven Fletcher Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Steven Fletcher and Morgan Fox are still to sign contracts.

Lee Bullen gives an update to the Yorkshire Post..

“I think both lads are really happy and their families are really happy, so we are very, very confident that something can be done,” said Lee Bullen, who started the season as caretaker manager until the appointment of Garry Monk.

“But ultimately, until something is signed, you just never know. You never know who could come out of the woodwork and offer them something out of this world. Talks are positive and well down the road.”

”Both lads have had fantastic seasons,” said Bullen. “That’s in part down to themselves, but it’s also in no small part down to the football club in supporting them.

“Foxy went through a hard time and Fletch last season obviously had one or two injuries and never really got going. This season he’s been fantastic, he’s overcome that injury and is coming back to full fitness.”

Yorkshire Post article here - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-confident-keeping-duo-hillsborough-2539808

Owlstalk Shop

22 minutes ago, vulva said:

If I were a footballer with any contract offer on the table I’d be signing it asap. 

100%, especially if you've settled in that area already. 

To be honest, wonder if some of them wish they'd already signed previous offers before the Coronavirus outbreak....think a lot of clubs including us would have had more financial wiggle room than now and who knows if previous offers can be on the table!

59 minutes ago, torres said:

Bad move to sign both up - one on vastly reduced terms would be my personal choice 

I don’t understand why if you’d sign one you wouldn’t sign both....it’s not like they are both keepers and we only need 1 in the team

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If I was DC, I would be whipping those offers off the table quick as possible. Come the end of June there will be so many free agents out there with potentially  a huge re-adjustment in the terms that are being offered then we may be able to get upgrades for a fraction of the money.

I wonder if £10k p.w. will become the new £40k and the top amount they can expect to see on a new contract?

With bonuses added

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

In which case you need to specify which one, not imply that you’d be happy with either of them as long as the other doesn’t sign

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly!

lol

If you need to ask the question which one then you are in trouble 

If we re sign Fox it would be a bad move 

As I mentioned in the other thread, we are giving ourselves an impossible task here If all those out of contract go, by my reckoning, that will be about a dozen players we will have lost from the first team squad. With 3 or 4 more remaining, who we will be trying to shift, that is a totally unrealistic rebuilding job, and one that will surely end in tears

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, we are giving ourselves an impossible task here If all those out of contract go, by my reckoning, that will be about a dozen players we will have lost from the first team squad. With 3 or 4 more remaining, who we will be trying to shift, that is a totally unrealistic rebuilding job, and one that will surely end in tears

It would largely depend on the ability of the recruitment team to find the right players and the manager to knit them together

I am not convinced that monk is the right man for this

Not bothered about either. Fletcher good player but high wages, wrong age and has had injuries throughout his 4 seasons here. 

Fox has had 6 good months but for me it’s another player showing up when they need a contract somewhere. Not going to be fooled just like Palmer at the end of last year and Nuhiu the year before. 

There are a lot of variables to consider, before the season came to a halt we were in free fall, IF the season gets going again behind closed doors, will our form pick up or will we go down on merit. Will the EFL dock us 12.points and do the job for us, either way we have a really chance of playing league 1 football next season and if we do don't expect many of our players to be here.

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

It would largely depend on the ability of the recruitment team to find the right players and the manager to knit them together

I am not convinced that monk is the right man for this

Sure, me neither, but for anyone, it would be practically impossible to properly identify so many players, never mind integrate them into the squad. At a lower level it may be feasible, but at this level, it spells trouble