Monk - The End is Nigh

6 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Wishful thinking from the OP. Monk will be in charge until at least the end of the season. 

Until the end of the season, Maybe? He won’t be here next season.

15 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

With two games coming up against teams in the Championship Play Off spots the end could well be nigh for Monk.

We will be able to look back on very little of note regarding his time in charge as even before Christmas when he enjoyed the benefits of Steve Bruce's legacy the results were decent but the performances were poor.

Since then at SWFC he has produced:

Toxic atmosphere

Bizarre team selections

Counter-productive substitutions

Above all though Monk's personality does not in my view fit Sheffield Wednesday.

Look at our successful managers: Big Jack, Sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Paul Sturrock and Gary Megson They all had big personalities.

Monk on the other hand is arrogant, stubborn and I have to say deadly boring.

Fixed it for you.

I honestly can’t believe how much support Monk gets on here. You must be very easily pleased I guess, or don’t go to games and see how bad it has become. We are getting hammered week in week out by poor teams. We are playing football that would put a glass eye to sleep. I’ve never left hillsborough early so many times in my life as I have since Christmas and now he’s achieved what several women have failed to do....he’s stopped me going to hillsborough.

• Haha 1

Guest LittleG
9 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The atmosphere at Hillsborough has been mostly toxic since the defeat to Huddersfield in 2017. Nothing to do with Monk.

What atmosphere is toxic at Hillsborough. Is it the relationship between Monk and the players? Is it the fans that are causing a toxic atmosphere, if so how are they doing this?

22 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

With two games coming up against teams in the Championship Play Off spots the end could well be nigh for Monk.

We will be able to look back on very little of note regarding his time in charge as even before Christmas when he enjoyed the benefits of Steve Bruce's legacy the results were decent but the performances were poor.

Toxic atmosphere

Bizarre team selections

Above all though Monk's personality does not in my view fit Sheffield Wednesday.

Look at our successful managers: Big Jack, Sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Paul Sturrock.  They all had big personalities.

Why don't you shut the fúck up?

2 hours ago, LittleG said:

What atmosphere is toxic at Hillsborough. Is it the relationship between Monk and the players? Is it the fans that are causing a toxic atmosphere, if so how are they doing this?

The atmosphere coming from the stands, there's no urgency from the crowd if we go 1-0 down. Too many moans of groans and not enough support. We seem to give up too easily, obviously it's give and take but I'm always of the opinion you can try to create an atmosphere regardless of performances.

Guest LittleG
8 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The atmosphere coming from the stands, there's no urgency from the crowd if we go 1-0 down. Too many moans of groans and not enough support. We seem to give up too easily, obviously it's give and take but I'm always of the opinion you can try to create an atmosphere regardless of performances.

I fully agree about the atmosphere, I just find the word toxic a bit (lot) over the top. A lack of atmosphere at Hillsborough doesn't make it toxic; constant booing, chants of Monk out, sack the board or staged protests would make it toxic. Our fans have been patient for years and are far removed from toxic as can be possible. Toxic seems to be the in word at the moment and is always used to describe the silent atmosphere.

23 hours ago, room0035 said:

If he has a best 11 and formation that he plays then why do the people and personnel change every game.

The manager is always on to a loser with this one way or the other. Carvalhal got criticised for not changing the team enough, now Luhukay and Monk are moaned at for mixing it up too much. It's easy to point out what is not being done as the cause of all the problems.

And anyway, in the modern era a first choice eleven is basically a thing of the past. The physical and emotional demands on players and the need to try and keep a squad satisfied means that no one really takes that approach anymore until you go lower down the leagues and it is somewhat a matter of practicality. 

Monk has often retained the same team / formation after a good performance but the players usually let him down.

Prime example, we win 2-0 at Leeds, he names the same team and we get the Blackburn performance.

Makes it difficult for the manager.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

The manager is always on to a loser with this one way or the other. Carvalhal got criticised for not changing the team enough, now Luhukay and Monk are moaned at for mixing it up too much. It's easy to point out what is not being done as the cause of all the problems.

And anyway, in the modern era a first choice eleven is basically a thing of the past. The physical and emotional demands on players and the need to try and keep a squad satisfied means that no one really takes that approach anymore until you go lower down the leagues and it is somewhat a matter of practicality. 

Our team has shown for about 5 years now that it cannot play a 3-5-2, get confused when we try to play a diamond.

Basically it's 4-4-2 away or 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 at home which ends up a 4-5-1 that's it we cannot play any other formation.

So a manager picking his team knows he needs 4 at the back so could pick the same players week in week out. He knows he needs at least two central midfielders every game and at least 1 striker that leaves 3 players that could change based on the performance.

The kicker where monk fails miserable is the player he picks every game no matter what , the Bannan, Lee, Dwason, Harris who have not been in form since last November but if They are fit they play.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The kicker where monk fails miserable is the player he picks every game no matter what , the Bannan, Lee, Dwason, Harris who have not been in form since last November but if They are fit they play.

Two of those have been on the bench quite regularly in the last couple of months and the main alternative to Dawson (if we accept Westwood is out of the picture) has reportedly been struggling at under 23 level. Bannan has been up and down but with injuries to Luongo, Reach and now Lees leaves us short of options in there; although he was benched for one game recently.

11 hours ago, LittleG said:

I fully agree about the atmosphere, I just find the word toxic a bit (lot) over the top. A lack of atmosphere at Hillsborough doesn't make it toxic; constant booing, chants of Monk out, sack the board or staged protests would make it toxic. Our fans have been patient for years and are far removed from toxic as can be possible. Toxic seems to be the in word at the moment and is always used to describe the silent atmosphere.

I suppose it comes down to what you consider toxic to be, personally some of the quite snide digs you hear that maybe don't seem much at the time to be toxic. Last weekend for example at 1-0 down people were muttering abuse at Dawson, to me that's toxic. I don't think it needs to be screaming and shouting and mass protests (might be seeing that soon you never know) to be toxic.

13 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Your daily blame the fans post. 

well done :duntmatter:

Pay yet another Manager off if you want.

Nothing will change until DC changes.

He runs the club in a way totally different to any successful club in the world. Why is it such a shock that it's failing dramatically ?

This is very serious. This man is going to relegate us. This man is going to keep dragging the club into a financial black hole.

Stop supporting him. Keep supporting the club but stop supporting him. If you carry on supporting DC, you are facilitating him harming the club. 

Enough is enough.

On 06/03/2020 at 12:07, Owls Loyal said:

Toxic atmosphere

Bizarre team selections

Look at our successful managers: Big Jack, Sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Paul Sturrock.  They all had big personalities.

And anaemic by the looks of him.

Guest LittleG
6 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I suppose it comes down to what you consider toxic to be, personally some of the quite snide digs you hear that maybe don't seem much at the time to be toxic. Last weekend for example at 1-0 down people were muttering abuse at Dawson, to me that's toxic. I don't think it needs to be screaming and shouting and mass protests (might be seeing that soon you never know) to be toxic.

People have differdnt opinions about players and certain fans will utter abusive comments at matches; this has always gone on at matches ever since i started going over 50 years ago. Not everybody is going to sit quietly especially wirh the performances this season. But this doesnt make it a toxic atmosphere; we'll just have to agree to disagree. Hopefully we might see some mass protests soon but I doubt it knowing Owls fans.

I started a new topic on Friday entitled Monk - The End is Nigh which advocated the urgent dismissal of the current Wednesday manager.

It has to be said that the responses were not particularly positive and more negative overall, indeed Hougoumont gave a one line reply:

"Why don't you shut the fúck up?"

Well i prefer to be respectful and do not claim to have been prophetic about the Brentford performance but I and many others could see that an absolute humiliation and complete capitulation was coming under Monk.

Now I am not advocating a hire and fire strategy with managers operated by say Watford as the prime example.

But it is a results business and Monk's league results since Christmas have been even worse than those in Luhukay's final run of games:

Under Monk

Played 14

Won 2

Drew - 3

Lost 9

Goals for 11, Goals against 28

Points available 42 - Points taken 9

That form over the course of a Championship season would yield 28 points and certain relegation.

Monk has to go and it is now a matter of real urgency.