Monk - The End is Nigh

10 minutes ago, striker said:

DC has reportedly made a decision that Monk will be here next season.

Whether you like Monk or not (personally I'm ambivelent), why not support, rather than try to undermine. 

Not convinced DC will be here next season either?

10 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

This is the most ridiculous accusation ever to be levelled at a football manager, who would you have picked differently in the starting lineup for the Derby game?

Derby match I would have picked my strongest team.

Westwood, Fox, Iorfa, Borner, Palmer, Fessi, Da Cruz, Hutchinson, Murphy, Wickham, Windass 

I would have sent them out there to win not hope to hit Derby on the break, the whole tactics of the team don't make any sense, we don't press the other team, we give every single team we play against both home and away a greater share of the ball, we don't play our experience players, we have injured or unfit players in the match day squad but then don't play them in behind close down friendlies or development squad games to get match sharpness and fitness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40371790

Since Monk told Downing he was not in his plan Downing has played for Boro 113 out of 128 league games not the subsequent managers not exactly a player that other manager thought should not be at the club.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Westwood, Fox, Iorfa, Borner, Palmer, Fessi, Da Cruz, Hutchinson, Murphy, Wickham, Windass 

I would have sent them out there to win not hope to hit Derby on the break, the whole tactics of the team don't make any sense, we don't press the other team, we give every single team we play against both home and away a greater share of the ball, we don't play our experience players, we have injured or unfit players in the match day squad but then don't play them in behind close down friendlies or development squad games to get match sharpness and fitness.

Since Monk told Downing he was not in his plan Downing has played for Boro 113 out of 128 league games not the subsequent managers not exactly a player that other manager thought should not be at the club.

So you must have been part to that weeks training to know that all those players were fit and available and you'd also drop Tom Lee's who was one of the best players on the pitch v Charlton? Wickham, really??

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Not convinced DC will be here next season either?

I don't disagree. Made the point in another thread, if DC is looking to exit, keeping Monk in place easier from a new owner point of view, should they want to bring in their own manager. Like MM did with Stuart Gray.

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

What is Monks best team? And what is his best formation?

The problem is after 30+ games at the club he does not know, he picks a different team and formation most games then changes the team/ formation at half time when he has got it wrong.

I would love to know what they work on in training for it to go so badly wrong when the game starts each and every game.

We saw a few good performances on Wednesday from Iorfa, Wildsmith, Fox and Murphy but I can hazard a guess that all 4 of them will not be playing tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Wickham, windass, cruz, all achieved next to nowt so far yet they constitute part of our best 11?

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The problem is after 30+ games at the club he does not know, he picks a different team and formation most games then changes the team/ formation at half time when he has got it wrong.

I would love to know what they work on in training for it to go so badly wrong when the game starts each and every game.

We saw a few good performances on Wednesday from Iorfa, Wildsmith, Fox and Murphy but I can hazard a guess that all 4 of them will not be playing tomorrow.

He doesnt know based on what exactly? Its not like form, injuries, bans, tactics have any bearing on his selection at all. Include our plethora of options in midfield and upfront and our selction choices are endless.

If you think he doesnt pick his best team every week, name your best eleven and lets see how many times they have all been available every week.

Edited by billyblack

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

So you must have been part to that weeks training to know that all those players were fit and available and you'd also drop Tom Lee's who was one of the best players on the pitch v Charlton? Wickham, really??

Whose to know who is or isn't fit but we have been told than Bannan is playing with an injury apparently that is his excuse for playing as a centre back, we seem to have players injured when we don't want them to play, this is not just in GM time but previously with Jos.

Tom Lees may have had a good game but Iorfa/Borner partnership proved for a good period they were our best back two and as for Wickham our choice up front is limited, Nuihu adds nothing but a body to aim for, Rhodes has not done it since being at the club, Winnall has barely played a game since returning from injury and you don't throw youth in when the team is losing. FLetcher for the last few games looks like he has been rushed back too early and my worry for him is he could be out for the season if he picks up another injury from being rush back. So Wickham is the best of a bad bunch

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

With two games coming up against teams in the Championship Play Off spots the end could well be nigh for Monk.

We will be able to look back on very little of note regarding his time in charge as even before Christmas when he enjoyed the benefits of Steve Bruce's legacy the results were decent but the performances were poor.

Since then at SWFC he has produced:

Toxic atmosphere

Bizarre team selections

Counter-productive substitutions

Above all though Monk's personality does not in my view fit Sheffield Wednesday.

Look at our successful managers: Big Jack, Sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Paul Sturrock.  They all had big personalities.

Monk on the other hand is arrogant, stubborn and I have to say deadly boring.

You are joking aren't you.?Wilko and Sturrock big personalities ??

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Whose to know who is or isn't fit but we have been told than Bannan is playing with an injury apparently that is his excuse for playing as a centre back, we seem to have players injured when we don't want them to play, this is not just in GM time but previously with Jos.

Tom Lees may have had a good game but Iorfa/Borner partnership proved for a good period they were our best back two and as for Wickham our choice up front is limited, Nuihu adds nothing but a body to aim for, Rhodes has not done it since being at the club, Winnall has barely played a game since returning from injury and you don't throw youth in when the team is losing. FLetcher for the last few games looks like he has been rushed back too early and my worry for him is he could be out for the season if he picks up another injury from being rush back. So Wickham is the best of a bad bunch

You've also dropped Forestieri who needs game time to get his match fitness fully up and was a bright spark in the Man City game, that's going to do his confidence a lot of good.

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

He doesnt know based on what exactly? Its not like form, injuries, bans, tactics have any bearing on his selection at all. Include our plethora of options in midfield and upfront and our selction choices are endless.

If he has a best 11 and formation that he plays then why do the people and personnel change every game.

If you want an answer to this, why did he play Fessi at left wing back one game, then Pelupessy at right wing back the next game. 

He is a manager without a plan of how to end the slump, he is hoping to find something rather than formulating a plan. 

You pick a system, you play the players in it week in week out. If a player gets injured you replace him but you don't more 2 or 3 players positions to accommodate bringing them into the team. 

2 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

You've also dropped Forestieri who needs game time to get his match fitness fully up and was a bright spark in the Man City game, that's going to do his confidence a lot of good.

No I didn't I had him on the left he is the one called Fessi but I do agree he was great against City our best player until Monk brought him off after 56 minutes but left the ineffective DaCruz and Bannan on the pitch another master class of tactical genius.

Edited by room0035

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If he has a best 11 and formation that he plays then why do the people and personnel change every game.

If you want an answer to this, why did he play Fessi at left wing back one game, then Pelupessy at right wing back the next game. 

He is a manager without a plan of how to end the slump, he is hoping to find something rather than formulating a plan. 

You pick a system, you play the players in it week in week out. If a player gets injured you replace him but you don't more 2 or 3 players positions to accommodate bringing them into the team. 

Hes trying to find a solution to the slump we are in. I dont know what players are available and fit and in form every week. We have had players out all over the placr for numerous reasons.

I have said this before, but if he did nothing, kept the same formation regardless and we kept losing, fans would moan he wasnt trying anything. He cant win. I agree our style of play isnt exactly easy on the eye however.

I do believe our squad is also light on decent options in many places and has been for a long time.

1 hour ago, torres said:

The point was about legacy  - 4 months is neither here or there

the first 3 months Monk was in charge we were 3rd - if he left would we be discussing his legacy??

How he changed Fletcher into the leagues best forward?

How he transformed Iorfa from an average full back to a commanding centre back?

The ability to become the leagues top away scorers?

Nobody will remember that if there's no improvement from the current mess though and he inevitably eventually gets the sack. They'll recall the dire negative clueless football, the chopping and changing of players and formations, the toxic atmosphere with dwindling crowds as hordes of season ticket holders don't even bother turning up and the stadium rapidly emptying even further as Blackburn, Reading and Derby score at will, and the falling out with senior players though. Ironically the same sort of things people recall when they think of Jos - nobody thinks of him and instantly recalls when we got into the play off positions, bagged a last minute winner at Leeds, battered Norwich and Preston, or him turning Nuhiu into a goal machine and getting decent form out of Joao.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, stocksyuto said:

Monk has produced a toxic atmosphere? No a portion of the fans have done that themselves.

There's no atmosphere at all so we can't even claim a toxic one!

15 minutes ago, room0035 said:

No I didn't I had him on the left he is the one called Fessi but I do agree he was great against City our best player until Monk brought him off after 56 minutes but left the ineffective DaCruz and Bannan on the pitch another master class of tactical genius.

But you had him in your best team a few posts previous?

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Nobody will remember that if there's no improvement from the current mess though and he inevitably eventually gets the sack. They'll recall the dire negative clueless football, the chopping and changing of players and formations, the toxic atmosphere with dwindling crowds as hordes of season ticket holders don't even bother turning up and the stadium rapidly emptying even further as Blackburn, Reading and Derby score at will, and the falling out with senior players though. Ironically the same sort of things people recall when they think of Jos - nobody thinks of him and instantly recalls when we got into the play off positions, bagged a last minute winner at Leeds, battered Norwich and Preston, or him turning Nuhiu into a goal machine and getting decent form out of Joao.

The very same argument that will be used for what we think of Bruce 

A big named manager that flattered to deceive, who knew what to say to the press and when to say it, who did very little and stayed even less!!