Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

11 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I would say it’s a realisation from the fans that this group of players are spineless and not up to it. It needs a total clear out. I’m now prepared to wait for a playoff push as im acutely aware that a rebuild will take time. 

Good targeted recruitment is required. Unfortunately, Garry Monk is likely to take forward this rebuild into next season. 

Also, while I agree a clear out is needed, the reality is, the starting line up will pretty much remain the same. Most of those starting now, will make up next season’s starting eleven. Those leaving are now, mostly peripheral members of the squad. While it won’t do us any harm to have a few younger back up players chomping at the bit, there will likely be only 2 or 3 changes to the team

Just now, gurujuan said:

Also, while I agree a clear out is needed, the reality is, the starting line up will pretty much remain the same. Most of those starting now, will make up next season’s starting eleven. Those leaving are now, mostly peripheral members of the squad. While it won’t do us any harm to have a few younger back up players chomping at the bit, there will likely be only 2 or 3 changes to the team

I’d offer Fox, Fletcher and Penney new contracts. I’d leave the Ozase one to the club if they think they can develop him. The rest can go - really big shame about Kieran Lee who was a top player but sadly mismanaged with his injuries. Potentially a club could come in for Westwood and somehow we need to get Jordan off the books but given this current situation, it looks like an impossible scenario. 

Central midfield looks very low in numbers and we would need to bring in 2 or potentially 3 players. 

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I’d offer Fox, Fletcher and Penney new contracts. I’d leave the Ozase one to the club if they think they can develop him. The rest can go - really big shame about Kieran Lee who was a top player but sadly mismanaged with his injuries. Potentially a club could come in for Westwood and somehow we need to get Jordan off the books but given this current situation, it looks like an impossible scenario. 

Central midfield looks very low in numbers and we would need to bring in 2 or potentially 3 players. 

Yes I’d agree with that, but maybe sign Urhoghide up and send him out on a season long loan We don’t have many young central defenders coming through, and he might turn out to be the long term replacement for Tom Lees. Midfield and up front are where the work needs to be done

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes I’d agree with that, but maybe sign Urhoghide up and send him out on a season long loan We don’t have many young central defenders coming through, and he might turn out to be the long term replacement for Tom Lees. Midfield and up front are where the work needs to be done

Ye, Id go with that for the young lad. I’d like us to go for a similar player like Joao but with a better attitude. Someone who will give us another option to fletcher. Would you pursue Jacob Murphy after he impressed since New Year or would you look at other options ?

1 minute ago, meggoisgod said:

Genuinely cant see why people would offer Fox a deal. Improved from diabolical to average but is this really the level we want/need?

Well, he’s probably been our second best performer this season so this gives you an  indication on how poor this group of players are. 

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I really hope we have some coherent transfer policy this summer, if only to avoid the sort of rebuild we will need this year. 

Like you I hope we do but unfortunately "coherent transfer policy" and Sheffield Wednesday are not usually mentioned in the same sentence.

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Ye, Id go with that for the young lad. I’d like us to go for a similar player like Joao but with a better attitude. Someone who will give us another option to fletcher. Would you pursue Jacob Murphy after he impressed since New Year or would you look at other options ?

Murphy is a bit of an enigma, he’s blown hot and cold since he started at Norwich. Anyway, I’m not in favour of playing two out and out wingers, as it puts too much pressure on the midfield two

Just now, gurujuan said:

Murphy is a bit of an enigma, he’s blown hot and cold since he started at Norwich. Anyway, I’m not in favour of playing two out and out wingers, as it puts too much pressure on the midfield two

I thought he did well since the New Year but was cold before. Yes, would like us to go with a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 formation. 100%! This means we need a defensive midfielder and a box to box player to play with Bazza. We also have Luongo. Murphy can play wide attacker no doubt. Whether he will get you enough goals is the issue. 

We all know Forestieri would be great in wide attack but I’m losing patience with the lad after countless issues over the last 4 years or so. 

14 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Well, he’s probably been our second best performer this season so this gives you an  indication on how poor this group of players are. 

He’s had a case of what’s called ‘Nuhiu Syndrome’? Finally finding some form when his contracts due to expire. We’ve had a few players have this over the last few seasons?

31 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Genuinely cant see why people would offer Fox a deal. Improved from diabolical to average but is this really the level we want/need?

Agree, can appreciate better needed. But to be fair to the lad, he's stepped up and played for the shirt, not hid like many others. 

I know effort doesn't forgive lack of quality, but being pragmatic we have a lot of work to do in midfield and up front, so this summer makes sense to maintain some stability at the back.

It's not easy to recruit players, especially in the numbers we need, both him and Penney available and financially reasonable options and adequate at this level.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I really hope we have some coherent transfer policy this summer, if only to avoid the sort of rebuild we will need this year. All you really want to be doing come the summer window, is adding 3 or 4 to your squad, upping the quality each year

True, if your squad is built on solid foundations.

I don't think that our was and I think it will need to be taken apart this summer so we could build new core group of players.

22 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Rather Monk go than Reach to be fair.

Me too mate.

I don't think he will though so I just hope that we start to sell players while they have value.

Biggest fault of the Chansiri era imo.

Players who arguably don't fit in to Monks style of play and 442 system:

Forrestieri 

Reach

Odubajo

Lee

Windass

Penney

I would include Pelupessy but I don't think he fits any sytem at this level.

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

With freedom of contract I don't feel really worried about signing players under 25, the aim should be a resale value towards the end of their contract so if they're in their later 20s towards the end of their contract they have a resale value which is good enough.

Resale is not the only issue. Injury-free fresh legs & energy of youth are also important, plus drive & hunger to establish themselves that younger players tend to have. Wages of players prime age are also much higher. It's a balancing act to achieve the right blend of youth and experience. We don't have the right mix. The vast majority of our signings the past 5yrs have been aged 25-31. 

Guest wilyfox
38 minutes ago, Nero said:

Players who arguably don't fit in to Monks style of play and 442 system:

Forrestieri 

Reach

Odubajo

Lee

Windass

Penney

I would include Pelupessy but I don't think he fits any sytem at this level.

Disagree. They're all 442 candidates. Windass & FF are second-strikers, Reach an orthodox winger, Lee centre-mid, Odubajo full-back. Not totally sure about Penney's best position, but either left-back or left-wing fit the system.

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He’s had a case of what’s called ‘Nuhiu Syndrome’? Finally finding some form when his contracts due to expire. We’ve had a few players have this over the last few seasons?

1 hour ago, Bouncing Owl said:

1 hour ago, meggoisgod said:

So we cant just say. Well done Fox. For improving and being twice the player you were last season. Has to be a reason he is still awful.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So we cant just say. Well done Fox. For improving and being twice the player you were last season. Has to be a reason he is still awful.

Yes, he’s done ok but you know what’ll happen? Three year contract in the back pocket and he goes back to how sh!t he was before and when he first came here, he made Jon Beswetherick look like Roberto Carlos.

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Yes, he’s done ok but you know what’ll happen? Three year contract in the back pocket and he goes back to how sh!t he was before and when he first came here, he made Jon Beswetherick look like Roberto Carlos.

I think he is better than that to be honest. And has more than earned his new deal. If in hindsight it was a bad decision then so be it. He wont be on 25k a week. And I would much rather be proved wrong and he is terrible next season then be proved right and he is one of the best left backs in the division with someone else.

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think he is better than that to be honest. And has more than earned his new deal. If in hindsight it was a bad decision then so be it. He wont be on 25k a week. And I would much rather be proved wrong and he is terrible next season then be proved right and he is one of the best left backs in the division with someone else.

No chance. There was a reason the opposition always targeted our left-hand side in particular.