Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

36 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Fox and Palmer are not good enough to get us out of this league. They have improved but both need moving on !

Id rather us sign up Penney as LB and see how he progresses, might not be up to it but at least give him a go.

Dont disagree, I think they are adequate, but other positions to prioritise this summer. 

Expect Palmer/Odubajo and Fox/Penney to be our full back options, with Urhoghide back up CB.

If I'm being brutally honest, none of the current squad, bar maybe Iorfa is Premier league standard. Bannan could have a swansong season, but he may have long retired by the time we are promoted. 

4 minutes ago, striker said:

Dont disagree, I think they are adequate, but other positions to prioritise this summer. 

Expect Palmer/Odubajo and Fox/Penney to be our full back options, with Urhoghide back up CB.

If I'm being brutally honest, none of the current squad, bar maybe Iorfa is Premier league standard. Bannan could have a swansong season, but he may have long retired by the time we are promoted. 

Penney is out of contract, so not our decision whether he stays or not. Maybe another German team wants him?

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You could probably say the same about every single player, and certainly the manager Realistically though, we can’t upgrade every position. If say we re-sign Fox, Fletcher and Penney, we still require another 8 players

True but upgrading the manager is the most important move we can make this summer.

Personally I think there are some we are stuck with and some we can move on. Fox is one we can move on at this point and I would do. As you say tho we need a lot of players this summer.

15 minutes ago, striker said:

I tend to agree, however I was hoping for a change of manager and tactical approach which would make us use our full backs how we did 2015/16, meaning Fox/Palmer are not adequate. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I tend to agree, however I was hoping for a change of manager and tactical approach which would make us use our full backs how we did 2015/16, meaning Fox/Palmer are not adequate. 

Is hoping in the FA's tactics manual.

31 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Penney is out of contract, so not our decision whether he stays or not. Maybe another German team wants him?

He is, but our decision whether to offer a new deal and I think he'll stay and see opportunity for game time here. 

19 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

They are what they are, as is the manager. In an ideal world yes, but with an entirely new forward line to recruit and midfield to sort out, it's maybe not possible in one window, especially with the current uncertainty.

1 minute ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Maybe, where has he had the most game time though....not here and probably wouldn't as 2nd choice left back?

Players go on loan to get games and return to parent clubs......disagree, LB is there for the taking. But as we stand we dont have LB with both out of contract. 

Not desperate for either TBH, but being pragmatic both signing would be sensible considering other recruitment needed and financially viable. I suspect both will sign and get opportunity in pre season to earn the shirt.

22 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Disagree. They're all 442 candidates. Windass & FF are second-strikers, Reach an orthodox winger, Lee centre-mid, Odubajo full-back. Not totally sure about Penney's best position, but either left-back or left-wing fit the system.

You are right in a way. Not saying these are bad players but this was about how Monk currently sets the team up.

They dont suit the way Monk plays 442. 

FF doesn't track back from being a second striker except when he wants to. Windass maybe, but dont think he is a striker really and cant play in a midfield two.

Monks wingers have to provide the teams pace and Reach isn't that kind of wide man, he can play in a three in midfield or attack but not as a two in either.

Lee is not mobile enough these days in a two in the middle, especially with Bannan  - as we found out - gets overrun.

Monks full backs are defenders first, playing behind the wide men and both have to cover around the back of the CB's. Both Odubajo and Penney are wing backs who provide width going forward but aren't great defenders.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, Nero said:

You are right in a way. Not saying these are bad players but this was about how Monk currently sets the team up.

They dont suit the way Monk plays 442. 

FF doesn't track back from being a second striker except when he wants to. Windass maybe, but dont think he is a striker really and cant play in a midfield two.

Monks wingers have to provide the teams pace and Reach isn't that kind of wide man, he can play in a three in midfield or attack but not as a two in either.

Lee is not mobile enough these days in a two in the middle, especially with Bannan  - as we found out - gets overrun.

Monks full backs are defenders first, playing behind the wide men and both have to cover around the back of the CB's. Both Odubajo and Penney are wing backs who provide width going forward but aren't great defenders.

Tbh I still don't see what "Monk's way" is. Our success in his first 3 months was built on a solid base and keeping things tight, hopefully nicking a goal t'other end. Offensively, I see no clear method or philosophy other than get the ball to Bannan or Harris and hope they can create something. It's all very basic. 

46 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Tbh I still don't see what "Monk's way" is. Our success in his first 3 months was built on a solid base and keeping things tight, hopefully nicking a goal t'other end. Offensively, I see no clear method or philosophy other than get the ball to Bannan or Harris and hope they can create something. It's all very basic. 

This being the problem, we were like you say solid and organised but once that went we were hopelessly exposed as a very poor side with very little direction. They players both playing and not have obviously lost faith in the direction they were being pointed which worries me.... yes we need to be bringing in another 10 11 players but theres still 12 or so here who aren't playing for the manager now. 

No direction, style or ideas from the manager. Players clearly not playing. No sign of a change. Its all very worrying.

Guest wilyfox
47 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This being the problem, we were like you say solid and organised but once that went we were hopelessly exposed as a very poor side with very little direction. They players both playing and not have obviously lost faith in the direction they were being pointed which worries me.... yes we need to be bringing in another 10 11 players but theres still 12 or so here who aren't playing for the manager now. 

No direction, style or ideas from the manager. Players clearly not playing. No sign of a change. Its all very worrying.

I wouldn't be too concerned. I have my doubts that Monk could take us up, but I don't believe he's a bad manager that would take us down either. It's about whatever the realistic ambition is for next season. Firstly, we need to establish whether the EFL relegate us or not. 

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't be too concerned. I have my doubts that Monk could take us up, but I don't believe he's a bad manager that would take us down either. It's about whatever the realistic ambition is for next season. Firstly, we need to establish whether the EFL relegate us or not. 

Which is a very real possibility !!

Must admit I can’t agree on the bad manager part I really do think he is and we could have gone down had the season not been stopped 

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Which is a very real possibility !!

Must admit I can’t agree on the bad manager part I really do think he is and we could have gone down had the season not been stopped 

I'm not a huge fan of his, but he did enough at Swansea, Leeds, and Birmingham to suggest he's ok. Not so good at Boro, but his spell there was very brief. Like I said; don't think he'd take us up or down. If we go down its a combination of financial mismanagement, EFL sanction, and this group of players switching off halfway through. Monk's had only a very small part to play - hasn't even had his own staff. 

Main realistic things for me that need to happen in the summer, obviously still being a championship team. Then Monk needs to bring his own staff in and let people like Bullen and Weaver leave. On the player front release them all except Fletcher and possibly Penney and the 2 other young lads. Signings wise we are desperate for players all over the pitch, from a new goalkeeper to a goal scorer and everything in between. Let’s hope we haven’t fooked up to badly again and the EFL dont put us under another embargo. 

On 11/05/2020 at 10:50, wilyfox said:

I think basic comes with the territory in our situation unfortunately. Jos was a bit more experimental and we got hammered. Carlos had a plan which worked when he had Hooper and Lee to link midfield and attack but struggled otherwise.

I think when we were 3rd no one really cared about this. Having a solid spine and fast wingers is fine by me. I thought we played some nice football in the final third away at Cardiff for example but didn’t score enough. Brentford played us off the park at Hillsborough but lost because of our style which needs to be pragmatic.

If we went down we would probably be able to try a few younger players and develop a style like United did. But we’d still need that solid spine otherwise we will he stuck down there.

Guest wilyfox
53 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Kabongo Tshimanga does anyone watch non-league and know anything about him? plays for boreham wood and last season and half seems to have scored a lot of goals and at age of 22 seems to be coming good 

Cool name, cool dreads, right age, let's do it.

Btw, are we even linked with him?