Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Guest wilyfox

Fox has earned a new deal. No doubt about that. Much improved this past year, and has the right attitude. Prime age & modest expense as well. But, I don't think he or Fletcher can sign until we secure champ football for next season. 

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He’s had a case of what’s called ‘Nuhiu Syndrome’? Finally finding some form when his contracts due to expire. We’ve had a few players have this over the last few seasons?

JJ had to be the biggest exponent of this syndrome?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So we cant just say. Well done Fox. For improving and being twice the player you were last season. Has to be a reason he is still awful.

I think he’s played well this season and thoroughly deserves his new contract. Given the dogs abuse he’s received as well, it shows the lad has a lot of character. I think hes a good championship left back. Not great going forward but very solid at the back. 

Said it before, but if we’re talking about left backs then I hope we’re taking a look at Luke Garbutt (doing well on loan at Ipswich from Everton). 26 years old, represented England all the way up to U21s, takes a good free kick, scores goals... and, most importantly, out of contract in summer

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think he’s played well this season and thoroughly deserves his new contract. Given the dogs abuse he’s received as well, it shows the lad has a lot of character. I think hes a good championship left back. Not great going forward but very solid at the back. 

We re-signed Palmer when some were saying he deserved a new deal on the form he showed towards the end of last season. How many would be calling for him to be re-signed now?

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

Said it before, but if we’re talking about left backs then I hope we’re taking a look at Luke Garbutt (doing well on loan at Ipswich from Everton). 26 years old, represented England all the way up to U21s, takes a good free kick, scores goals... and, most importantly, out of contract in summer

If anyone knows a decent left-back, someone with this username should? 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We re-signed Palmer when some were saying he deserved a new deal on the form he showed towards the end of last season. How many would be calling for him to be re-signed now?

I think this a different scenario. Firstly, Fox is a better player than Palmer. Secondly, the character he has shown after getting booed and ridiculed by the fans at home, shows you he has the right character to play at this club. This squad have shown little fight or reliance but he has the right temperament. Same with fletcher - again I’d resign him on significantly reduced terms for the same reason. I think fletcher will sign if we offered him a 2 year deal. 

If we are faced with a situation where we need to bring in a dozen players this summer, I fear for our prospects next year It’s too much, and given our track record when it comes to recruitment, what are the chances of assembling a competitive squad. We might think we could do better than Fox and Fletcher, and that’s probably true, but I wouldn’t fancy our chances when there is already so much to do.

I wonder if the regular scouting trips to Portugal will ever bear fruit? Even this season, we have been heavily represented at games in Portugal. I suspect that those trips were with a view to potential recruitment, were we ever to make the top flight. Some of the games there, where we have been represented, featured players who we couldn’t hope to attract, unless we were in the Premier League. 

15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If we are faced with a situation where we need to bring in a dozen players this summer, I fear for our prospects next year It’s too much, and given our track record when it comes to recruitment, what are the chances of assembling a competitive squad. We might think we could do better than Fox and Fletcher, and that’s probably true, but I wouldn’t fancy our chances when there is already so much to do.

Too much of a risk to lose those 2. They’ve been our best performers this season.

Guest Mcguigan
21 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I thought he did well since the New Year but was cold before. Yes, would like us to go with a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 formation. 100%! This means we need a defensive midfielder and a box to box player to play with Bazza. We also have Luongo. Murphy can play wide attacker no doubt. Whether he will get you enough goals is the issue. 

We all know Forestieri would be great in wide attack but I’m losing patience with the lad after countless issues over the last 4 years or so. 

Do box to box midfielders even exist any more in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 formation?

10 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

I live in hope

Come back to me if/when we’ve signed a better left back on a free and see what we’re saying then 

20 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Fox and Palmer are not good enough to get us out of this league. They have improved but both need moving on !

Id rather us sign up Penney as LB and see how he progresses, might not be up to it but at least give him a go.

39 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Come back to me if/when we’ve signed a better left back on a free and see what we’re saying then 

That will largely be driven by wages offered, especially post covid 19, if Fox wants say £15k p.w. as he doesn't demand a transfer fee we may well be able to do better/ sign a player with more potential for less

13 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Fox and Palmer are not good enough to get us out of this league. They have improved but both need moving on !

Id rather us sign up Penney as LB and see how he progresses, might not be up to it but at least give him a go.

You could probably say the same about every single player, and certainly the manager Realistically though, we can’t upgrade every position. If say we re-sign Fox, Fletcher and Penney, we still require another 8 players