Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Given that we will have a hefty fine, selling bannan would only be financial reasons, nothing else.

I guess the key question is whether we can afford to let Bannan and Reach leave for free a year later. If no we will have to cash in if they can’t or won’t stay 

I’m a big fan of Bannan and even though I think we’d miss him, I do think he’s part of the problem and that nothing would changed if he stayed.

I think his understanding with Fletcher is a big plus for us but for how much longer are we going to flog this horse. Bannan is touching 30 if not already and Fletcher is not far from his mid-30s.

I think the time might be right to look to the future and something different (even though I did vote for Fletcher to get a new contract in the recent pole).

I think this new era was started last summer with the departure of Hooper, Matias, Joao et al and with the arrivals of Iorfa, Borner, Harris and Luongo.

I think these four arrivals have had a mixed time of it but have shown enough to be at least persevered with. I expect the likes of Hunt, Grant, Waldock and Shaw to be pushed on to at least regular squad members next season. I think Hunt and Shaw might yet find themselves in the starting eleven?

A new era beckons but I’d be happier with Lowe or someone else overseeing it rather than Monk.

It’s hard to envisage which players might be useful, until we know how the manager wants us to play.

A two man midfield is a risky strategy in my opinion, but it appears to Monk’s favoured set up If so, you can forget the likes of Bannan, or even Holland, as there is no way they can effectively operate in a two man midfield

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s hard to envisage which players might be useful, until we know how the manager wants us to play.

A two man midfield is a risky strategy in my opinion, but it appears to Monk’s favoured set up If so, you can forget the likes of Bannan, or even Holland, as there is no way they can effectively operate in a two man midfield

Why? Holland is a winger.

I'd very much be in favour of signing Holland. Looks a talent. Right age. Our average age needs to come way down. Dawson & Iorfa turn 25 very soon, then we won't have a single regular in our XI under 25. Sobering thought. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

I'd very much be in favour of signing Holland. Looks a talent. Right age. Our average age needs to come way down. Dawson & Iorfa turn 25 very soon, then we won't have a single regular in our XI under 25. Sobering thought. 

Only nominally, in the way Bannan was under Carlos, he’s played quite narrow but is an excellent passer

4 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Would get rid of: 

Pelupessy 

Hutchinson

Tom Lees 

Big Dave (pains me to say it) 

Kieran lee (as above) 

Westwood 
Foriesteri 

Wickham

Da cruz 

David Bates

Winall 

Would keep: 

Murphy

Windass 

Fletch

Fox

Would try and cash in on Bannan and Rhodes while we can, but will get fek all for rhodes. 

Despite what they were saying earlier in the week, I actually think we struggle in the keeper department. Dawson has been far too inconsistent and it amazes me why Wildsmith was never given a run. Looked composed against man city, albeit one game. 

From some of the U23 threads seems he's had quite a few howlers playing with them.

I really hope we have some coherent transfer policy this summer, if only to avoid the sort of rebuild we will need this year. All you really want to be doing come the summer window, is adding 3 or 4 to your squad, upping the quality each year

Only one of the loan players I hope we keep is Windass. Wickham doesn’t look anywhere near the player he was and Cruz has to be one of the most pointless players I have seen, not a clue what he is suppose to offer. Keep Fletcher, rest of the out of contracts can go. 

16 hours ago, wilyfox said:

With freedom of contract I don't feel really worried about signing players under 25, the aim should be a resale value towards the end of their contract so if they're in their later 20s towards the end of their contract they have a resale value which is good enough.

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

With freedom of contract I don't feel really worried about signing players under 25, the aim should be a resale value towards the end of their contract so if they're in their later 20s towards the end of their contract they have a resale value which is good enough.

Though younger players generally command bigger fees

18 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I guess the key question is whether we can afford to let Bannan and Reach leave for free a year later. If no we will have to cash in if they can’t or won’t stay 

Dont disagree with selling players at all....but can only sell if someone wants to buy. 

When football does resume, think cash will be tight so dont expect big fees in the championship,  not to mention taking on their not inconsiderable wage. 

Works both ways though, we might get some bargains as we'll be in the market for a lot of players.

Edited by striker

50 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I really hope we have some coherent transfer policy this summer, if only to avoid the sort of rebuild we will need this year. All you really want to be doing come the summer window, is adding 3 or 4 to your squad, upping the quality each year

There will be more than 3 or 4 coming in given there is likely to be 7 or 8 players released and 4 loan players going back. 

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

There will be more than 3 or 4 coming in given there is likely to be 7 or 8 players released and 4 loan players going back. 

Yes that was my point, good teams don’t find themselves in that position. It’s almost unheard of that a team would find themselves with all but one of their strikers out of contract at the same time Better planning is needed

22 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Only one of the loan players I hope we keep is Windass. Wickham doesn’t look anywhere near the player he was and Cruz has to be one of the most pointless players I have seen, not a clue what he is suppose to offer. Keep Fletcher, rest of the out of contracts can go. 

Well, I’d keep Fletcher and Fox and I’d also offer Penney a contract who I’d like to see being developed. This deal would only be cheap.

Personally, the loan player id keep is Jacob Murphy which was based on his performances since the New Year when his form improved and the team declined. I’m not sure on Windass - don’t think he’s a player which will take you forward and up the league. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes that was my point, good teams don’t find themselves in that position. It’s almost unheard of that a team would find themselves with all but one of their strikers out of contract at the same time Better planning is needed

I would say it’s a realisation from the fans that this group of players are spineless and not up to it. It needs a total clear out. I’m now prepared to wait for a playoff push as im acutely aware that a rebuild will take time. 

Good targeted recruitment is required. Unfortunately, Garry Monk is likely to take forward this rebuild into next season. 

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I would say it’s a realisation from the fans that this group of players are spineless and not up to it. It needs a total clear out. I’m now prepared to wait for a playoff push as im acutely aware that a rebuild will take time. 

Good targeted recruitment is required. Unfortunately, Garry Monk is likely to take forward this rebuild into next season. 

That would be disastrous, were he to be in charge

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That would be disastrous, were he to be in charge

To be fair, Im behind you on this. I was behind Monk until Christmas but since then he has lost the plot along with the players. When a manager chooses a 3-5-2 system and plays Forestieri left wing back away at Luton, then you know mentally he’s gone. Decisions like that you remember and sadly these are things that manages do when they are not thinking straight.