Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Oh c'mon, you can't hang points deductions for financial mismanagement around his neck. I'm no Monk fan, but that's taking the píss. We've got 48 points on the board already. Scape another win & we're probably safe. If we're relegated this season, it won't be for footballing reasons.

You could argue with some justification it is? The collapse since Christmas is relegation form. As for taking the p!$$. Monk’s been doing that since he dropped Westwood and Hutch and replaced them with Calamity Cam and Pelepussy?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You could argue with some justification it is? The collapse since Christmas is relegation form. As for taking the p!$$, Monk’s been doing that since he dropped Westwood and Hutch and replaced them with Calamity Cam and Pelepussy?

Our collapse in form is down to the players. I'm amazed there are some who still don't realise that. How many managers must they throw under the bus for people to catch on what they're like?

Might be relegation form, but we're pretty comfortable in mid-table. Would likely take a points deduction to relegate us - and for decisions made long before he came here. Likewise at Birmingham.

..and we don't know what went on with Hutch & Westy, but we do know both were outcast by different managers, so good chance they're a coupla c*nts.

Edited by wilyfox

33 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Monk hasn't been in a relegation battle with any club. Don't see why you'd assume that'd be the case here.

Because he has been sacked before they got to that point..... our trajectory before this natural disaster suggested we ARE in a relegation battle now.

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Our collapse in form is down to the players. I'm amazed there are some who still don't realise that. How many managers must they throw under the bus for people to catch on what they're like?

Might be relegation form, but we're pretty comfortable in mid-table. Would likely take a points deduction to relegate us - and for decisions made long before he came here. Likewise at Birmingham.

..and we don't know what went on with Hutch & Westy, but we do know both were outcast by different managers, so good chance they're a coupla c*nts.

Oh well, I’ve got Monk in the Lukuhay bracket which is marked down as useless.

Carvahal, Bruce and even Bullen seemed to be able to manage Westwood and Hutch so I can’t agree that we should give T0$$ and SpUnK the benefit of the doubt?

We keep hold of Monk and we’ll be facing League 1 this time next year if not before?

16 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Type of player, who if he has a good attitude is worth a gamble. 

Young, won't cost the earth, good age, good physical attributes and wouldn't expect to walk into the team. 

Wouldn't be against this type of signing on a 2 year deal. 

We can't afford to take a gamble on some unknown just because they might have a 'good attitude'. That's why we are in trouble giving players that turn out to be not very good 2/3 year contracts and then we are stuck with them.

This notion that I keep seeing on here that we should sign players or give ordinary players that are already here new contracts based on having a 'good attitude' , 'are cheap', 'would be a decent squad player' etc. is nonsense.

16 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Agreed, it seems odd he barely featured at Wigan and was sent home in January though. I think he was on loan in Scotland and didn’t do much but was really good at Coventry.  Might be one that needs some man management 

Hillsborough currently might not be the best place for that.

13 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

We can't afford to take a gamble on some unknown just because they might have a 'good attitude'. That's why we are in trouble giving players that turn out to be not very good 2/3 year contracts and then we are stuck with them.

This notion that I keep seeing on here that we should sign players or give ordinary players that are already here new contracts based on having a 'good attitude' , 'are cheap', 'would be a decent squad player' etc. is nonsense.

Hillsborough currently might not be the best place for that.

Every squad around, certainly in this division needs 4 or 5 players who are squad players, who come inx do a job for 15-20 games a season, and are good behind the scenes. 

There isn't the budget to have 22 amazing championship players for us or any other championship team for that natter

19 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

There was no issue when we were playing attacking football under Carlos. There was no issue when we were playing attacking football under Bruce. Maybe its the face we have a team which suits playing at attacking possession based style and the two managers they have issues with are ones that don't wanna play that way. Jos seemed like he was over precautious, which got players backs up so you can understand why that happened but EVERYONE seems to have downed tools for monk hence the run since xmas. Were getting battered every week. 12 of these players getting battered ARE here next season and they have downed tools for Monk now.... cant see much changing unless we change the manager.

I am not excusing the players there defo to blame.... but Monk is also at fault. As is Chansiri. There are plenty at fault but the way to start is to get Monk out, get a manager in with a goal from the start to rebuild and manage the CLUB from the top down.

14 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Never say never. Warnock got Cardiff up on the cheap. They only really spent big on Madine - and he wasn't needed. Wagner got Huddersfield up with loans, basically. There are ways, but recruitment must be on point. Putting a team together is an art form. Not all managers and recruiters are good at it. 

And team building should be top priority for next season and everything else a bonus. We need to recruit smartly and with next few years in mind.

Guest Mcguigan

No way we'll be relegated this season but with what is going to be left, squad wise when 20/21 eventually starts, we'll be sailing very close to it next season even without a points deduction.

10 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

No way we'll be relegated this season but with what is going to be left, squad wise when 20/21 eventually starts, we'll be sailing very close to it next season even without a points deduction.

Do you not think we will not sign any players before the 20/21 season starts

44 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I think we will do business, but I don’t think it will be as much as some think, particularly if Fox and Fletcher re-sign. We needed to reduce the size of the squad, and having so many out of contract allows us to do that. Looking at the players who would be available to the manager, most of the starting eleven remain intact, with perhaps room for a couple of signings. It’s the back up squad that offers us potential to bring a few more in, but only if we can get rid of the likes of Rhodes, Odubajo and Westwood, and we discount the idea of promoting others from the U23s
I would envisage, a forward and a midfielder for the starting eleven, and perhaps the same for the back up group

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think we will do business, but I don’t think it will be as much as some think, particularly if Fox and Fletcher re-sign. We needed to reduce the size of the squad, and having so many out of contract allows us to do that. Looking at the players who would be available to the manager, most of the starting eleven remain intact, with perhaps room for a couple of signings. It’s the back up squad that offers us potential to bring a few more in, but only if we can get rid of the likes of Rhodes, Odubajo and Westwood, and we discount the idea of promoting others from the U23s
I would envisage, a forward and a midfielder for the starting eleven, and perhaps the same for the back up group

If most of the current starting eleven stay intact, are we not going to face the same problems next season? Surely we will?

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

Sure we’ll sign players but of what quality.

Premier league loans are quickly becoming a big financial hit, wages, loan fees etc and basically for what? Potential.

Our income is around £24m a season and then we’re allowed £13m losses a season, so we have £37m to run the club within the the current FFP limits each season.

Bearing in mind it takes around £15m a season just to run the club that only leaves a budget of £22m to cover the wage bill, new signings, new contracts etc...

With little or nothing coming through our own u23’s, which is where most non parachute payment Championship clubs will be looking to going forward, it’s going to be slim pickings for the quality of player we need to push us on to promotion contenders.

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

If most of the current starting eleven stay intact, are we not going to face the same problems next season? Surely we will?

I think so, yes. It’s hard though to see how other changes can be made, unless perhaps players like Iorfa, Bannan and Reach were to leave. Would Fletcher and Fox re-sign if they were to be back up players? Looking at what we might have available, I would envisage the arrival of a striker to play alongside Fletcher, if that was the way Monk wanted to go, plus a midfielder to operate in a two with Bannan. While we could upgrade elsewhere of course, I think it unlikely.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think so, yes. It’s hard though to see how other changes can be made, unless perhaps players like Iorfa, Bannan and Reach were to leave. Would Fletcher and Fox re-sign if they were to be back up players? Looking at what we might have available, I would envisage the arrival of a striker to play alongside Fletcher, if that was the way Monk wanted to go, plus a midfielder to operate in a two with Bannan. While we could upgrade elsewhere of course, I think it unlikely.

We may see across the board due to the current crisis a necessity to negotiate early release agreements with players to enable moves rather than the old fashioned transfer fee as I suspect they will come right down over the next 12 months or so?

I'm not convinced that Fletcher and Fox will re-sign . I think it would be a mistake to re-sign Fox anyway. I wouldn't be against moving Bannan, Reach and Lees on. They've been decent players for us particularly Bannan but we need a fresh start across the board and a new identity of playing as we are too easy to play against.

15 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We may see across the board due to the current crisis a necessity to negotiate early release agreements with players to enable moves rather than the old fashioned transfer fee as I suspect they will come right down over the next 12 months or so?

I'm not convinced that Fletcher and Fox will re-sign . I think it would be a mistake to re-sign Fox anyway. I wouldn't be against moving Bannan, Reach and Lees on. They've been decent players for us particularly Bannan but we need a fresh start across the board and a new identity of playing as we are too easy to play against.

That could well be a possibility yes, we don’t know what impact the virus may have had, but it sure won’t be a positive one. By the way, my comments weren’t necessarily what I would want to happen, more a realistic look at what might happen. Based on Fletcher and Fox re-signing, taking into account the remaining players, and the new financial situation, there doesn’t look much scope for major changes regarding the starting eleven. If any of our big players leave, yes that might free up another space. Personally, I think most of the work will be done at squad level, where I can see us recruiting some younger players who we can develop, and who could challenge for a place on the bench

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That could well be a possibility yes, we don’t know what impact the virus may have had, but it sure won’t be a positive one. By the way, my comments weren’t necessarily what I would want to happen, more a realistic look at what might happen. Based on Fletcher and Fox re-signing, taking into account the remaining players, and the new financial situation, there doesn’t look much scope for major changes regarding the starting eleven. If any of our big players leave, yes that might free up another space. Personally, I think most of the work will be done at squad level, where I can see us recruiting some younger players who we can develop, and who could challenge for a place on the bench

I've read your posts long enough guru, to know you want change as much as anyone :biggrin:

You might be right but I hope you're wrong. As much as I like Fletcher, re-signing him just might prolong our problems? That's not a dig at Fletch but we are a one dimensional side and have been for some time. This is one of the reasons I'm advocating a change of manager as I think Monk is a one dimensional manager which is surprising when you consider he's played for the likes of Rogers and Martinez.

I think we're overly reliant on the Bannan and Fletcher axis and many many times we have seen other sides sit on Bannan then in a instant make us impotent as a side. We need a fresh start. I mean Reach has been here four years but we're still having the conversation with regards to his best position and this suggests to me if you're still having this conversation, he's not as influential to us as some might think?

The goalkeeping position needs sorting out. We need better full-backs. Centre-Defence is ok. Midfield has been a problem for sometime but Luongo and Harris could be part of the solution? Striking department needs a total revamp. Big twelve months coming up.

Everton are about to release highly rated 19 years old Alex Denny. He is a mobile 6'2" central midfielder with silky touch and great passing range. Did really well this season for Everton's U-23 side that were this year's Premier League 2 champions.

Available on free transfer and seamingly able to help at this level right now. One for both present and the future.

However, interest in him will be high as Rangers were interested in him erlier this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1