We can’t play Bannan in the midfield two when we play two out-and-out wingers

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Nail on the head.

Its not that Bannan is a poor player, quite the opposite but how often does he turn up? When was the last time he used his ability and took a game by the scruff of the neck? He is frustrating more than anything because of his inconsistent performances.

People were excusing him last year suggesting he had a bad season because of Luhukay.... This year he’s playing poor because of everyone else!

Was he poor before we went on this bad run ?

This team relies too much on Bannan to make stuff happen so he either tries too hard when he should keep it simple or is so bigheaded that he feels he can do what he likes without fear of being dropped. Whichever it is the simple answer would be for the rest of the team to start creating.

Guest Ferkorf
1 hour ago, deano said:

Bannan isn't the issue, 2 wingers doesn't work for us. 

He is the scapegoat of the week. It'll be someone else next week

7 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Was he poor before we went on this bad run ?

But that’s the definition of inconsistency that people are talking about.

Ive slated Bannan before and I’ve also praised him on here when he has played well....but we can continue to rely on a player to put in a performance for 1/3 of the season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

No point playing wingers when they contribute nothing.

Time to go 3-5-2 or 3-4-3

Reach has as many assists this season as super Barry Bannan, that’s despite reach playing below par, not contributing ..... blah blah blah oh and he doesn’t take every corner and free kick too. 

I continually get negged for criticising Bannan but his all round game is horrible. He can’t head the ball, only guy he marks is the ref, doesn’t track back unless it was his mistake, doesn’t tackle, can’t shoot, can’t run with ball, can’t receive in tight areas, but yea he can Occasionally pick out a worldie, occasionally pressures the keeper and takes a decent corner every now and then. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

There are none so blind as those that cannot see.

Bannan is the problem, not Pelupessy.

Both were the problem Pelupessy is shocking that we know but Bannan was just as bad today.

Edited by s6 owl

Guest LittleG
45 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Have you not watched his performances recently?

No surprise that our best two performances since the Christmas collapse have come in the cup, both games with Bannan didnt play in.

But that was not my question. Surely if BB was the player he was talking about then he wouldn't have played today. 

Guest LittleG
48 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Börner, Iorfa, Palmer, Dawson, Nuhiu, Reach

Would all be genuine contenders for the captaincy

The worrying thing is I think you're being serious!

Normally a fan of Bannan but my god what was that today? The only decent thing I remember him doing was leaving the ball for Harris to put the cross in that nearly led to Reach scoring a header. Best move of the match. 

And what the hell was that attempted cross/shot in the box up at the Lep end? For once, he seemed annoyed with himself instead of blaming Palmer or Pelupessy or whoever else is near him. 

Guest LittleG
Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Who else would he have played, when you consider he is one of only 2 fit first team midfielders?

He'll be out if side when Mass is back.

Well if he brings Luongo back in the side at the expense of Bannan and leaves JP in the team, then he has finally lost the plot.

2 hours ago, Kraschenbern said:

Just drop Bannan. He is the main issue with our tactics. Sick of the same from him week in week out. 

He's often at the root of good stuff we do, and I'll forgive anyone the odd game where they accidentally put toblerone boots one, but it's his decision-making that's been winding me up lately. It's just awful sometimes, and that isn't a 'bad day at the office' issue.

The Bannan issue will remain an issue whilst ever he plays for us.

Maybe it would be better if he moved on. It's there for all to see and I can't see a solution to it. 

For every half game where he is the maestro, there are four like today .

• Like 1

Bannan is an awesome player, no one can take away what her offers.

My issues are mainly around a different fact - when Bannan playes, he steps up, but others step down.

Bannan is oft MOM for a reason, he's the best player on the pitch, but in my honest opinion that is to the detriment to others performance.

Others perform less than they should because Bannan is showboating, demanding the ball, wanting time on the ball etc.

When Bannan does this and chases down the keeper or defenders, we usually do well, however.....When Bannan is showboating and not doing this effectively, we are clueless.

We lack options because of this, we are clueless without Bannan and that is stupid.   We need to have far more options than one man.

I have been here before, saying we are less of a team because Bannan is the main man, many said I was suggesting Bannan wasn't good enough, far from it - I am suggesting Bannan is good enough but does not have the correct players around him to form the correct team  - in short, we are wasting Bannan and unless we get some smart players quickly in the team (I pray Wickham is just this player) then we really need to drop Bannan for the good of the team.

3 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

My issues are mainly around a different fact - when Bannan playes, he steps up, but others step down.

Bannan is oft MOM for a reason, he's the best player on the pitch, but in my honest opinion that is to the detriment to others performance.

Others perform less than they should because Bannan is showboating, demanding the ball, wanting time on the ball etc.

When Bannan does this and chases down the keeper or defenders, we usually do well, however.....When Bannan is showboating and not doing this effectively, we are clueless.

We lack options because of this, we are clueless without Bannan and that is stupid.   We need to have far more options than one man.

I have been here before, saying we are less of a team because Bannan is the main man, many said I was suggesting Bannan wasn't good enough, far from it - I am suggesting Bannan is good enough but does not have the correct players around him to form the correct team  - in short, we are wasting Bannan and unless we get some smart players quickly in the team (I pray Wickham is just this player) then we really need to drop Bannan for the good of the team.

You aren't the only one who has pointed out that we turn into a one man team when Bannan plays.

It's obvious.

Midfield was atrocious today, no dynamism or creativity, didn’t stop Millwall passing around in our half and didn’t support attacks which led to few chances and a big gap between the forward/s and themselves. It’s the norm, particularly at home and I’m disappointed Monk has not addressed this problem all season and goes with similar tactics in every home game.

That was painful to watch again.

5 minutes ago, Beholder said:

You aren't the only one who has pointed out that we turn into a one man team when Bannan plays.

It's obvious.

I am hoping that the two incoming players can offer some alternative to this.

Bannan is a quality player, so to not play him for reasons that others do not perform around him are daft - but equally, true.

30 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I agree with much of this.

He would benefit from playing with better players, for sure

Way too much onus on him at the moment...which others are too happy to give to him (due to their own lack of ability and / or courage)