Julian Borner

Guest Ash76

13 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Not really. If Borner doesn’t drop deep and stays in line with the defence he’s offside. Average stuff. 

I was talking about his whole performance not just the one example.

Moore ran our back line ragged, especially second half.

It is hard to believe that this is the same set of players who won so convincingly 4-0 at Nottingham Forest just before Christmas.

On that day we had Iorfa and Lees in the middle of the back four and Borner came on as a late sub.

I would personally go back to this.

Lees has been a fine CB for us for a number of years and I wonder if this role of coming on as a sub has in some way unsettled him.

It also means that Lees captains the side (Bannan is no captain as shown by his constant screaming at others).

1 minute ago, Owls Loyal said:

It is hard to believe that this is the same set of players who won so convincingly 4-0 at Nottingham Forest just before Christmas.

On that day we had Iorfa and Lees in the middle of the back four and Borner came on as a late sub.

I would personally go back to this.

Lees has been a fine CB for us for a number of years and I wonder if this role of coming on as a sub has in some way unsettled him.

It also means that Lees captains the side (Bannan is no captain as shown by his constant screaming at others).

Disagree on Lees. Since Loovens has left I think he’s actually been quite poor. Doesn’t seem to have any confidence to me, hardly what you want from club captain.

I take what you are saying but in the run of games prior to Christmas we had a stable Iorfa-Lees cb partnership against:

Charlton Athletic

Brentford

Derby County

Notts Forest

Bristol City

In those five games we conceded just 3 goals and earned 13 points.

Iorfa and Lees looked a very strong and stable partnership at centre back at that time.

Recently we have looked very weak defensively.

• Like 1

Playing centre back is about creating a strong partnership who know each others' games in and out.

We had great pairings with Lees & Loovens also Lees & Hector.

I think there were signs before Christmas that Lees & Iorfa could develop a sound understanding too.

I am not blaming Borner but I think a spell on the bench might be for the best after his recent performances.

We need to find a solid CB partenership very urgently.

Borner has the passion which fans love but the guy switches off so often. Both goals yesterday . I’d be getting hutch at centre half with big Dom . We are crying out for a tank in middle tho. Have been since we lost to hull . 

We need to stop chopping and changing at the back.

Monk is so damn stupid sometimes.

Case in point...

Fox gets injured so we then change 3 of the back 4 positions, instead of just putting Reach in there.

Every manager I ever played under at a good level would do everything possible to minimize the amount of changes to the side when dealing with unforeseen substitutions

27 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I take what you are saying but in the run of games prior to Christmas we had a stable Iorfa-Lees cb partnership against:

Charlton Athletic

Brentford

Derby County

Notts Forest

Bristol City

In those five games we conceded just 3 goals and earned 13 points.

Iorfa and Lees looked a very strong and stable partnership at centre back at that time.

Recently we have looked very weak defensively.

Yep

Iorfa and Lees with Palmer and Fox for me at the back 

Wtf do we do at this club do we decide each week which player has got the target on his head to be the blame omg jeeeees borner has been the most consistent player we've had this year he cant be perfect 100% of time now if he was consistently bad then I understand but omg 

• Like 1

I am not anti Borner.

Like others I like the way he goes in aggressively on opposition forward players but in recent games he has been getting caught out in both his marking and positional play.

We have to get back to Lees and Iorfa and see if a sound partnership can develop.

1 hour ago, tomhollywood said:

It's no coincidence that Lees comes on and we concede 2 in my opinion.

I think it is more to do with not having anyone that can or wants to tackle in midfield or out wide and forwards that have no ability to hold the ball up. The defence were constantly under pressure with no defensive shape in front of them.

He’s been off the boil recently, but I still think he’s a good defender. Our defending has been woeful for some of the goals recently, but I don’t think they’re the root cause - our midfield is non existent and does very little when trying to defend a ball. Players just glide past us.