Relegation

4 hours ago, ljhowl said:

Ok maybe, but when you have guys like Torry and others who have watched us for 60 years saying they don't recall a more abject performance then perhaps there is something in it don't you think? Just consider that. The worst performance in 60 years of watching. And let's not forget the 3 mighty games between Christmas and New Year. The boys are on quite a run aren't they. Absolutely relegation form.  I'm glad you're feeling entertained but these players really do need a kick up the jacksie.

I wouldn't place too much stall by what some bloke says on Owlstalk. Yeah, it was an awful performance, but I'm only in my 30s and have seen us capitulate many a time, sometimes in the third tier. It was appalling, but it's not a unique event, unfortunately.

We're currently averaging 1.5 points per game, whereas the bottom four are all averaging less than a point per game - even if we lost 21 points tomorrow, I reckon we'd be back out of the bottom three within ten games. 

5 hours ago, ljhowl said:

Ok maybe, but when you have guys like Torry and others who have watched us for 60 years saying they don't recall a more abject performance then perhaps there is something in it don't you think? Just consider that. The worst performance in 60 years of watching. And let's not forget the 3 mighty games between Christmas and New Year. The boys are on quite a run aren't they. Absolutely relegation form.  I'm glad you're feeling entertained but these players really do need a kick up the jacksie.

Who doesn't remember this one then? We had a good side then too, promotion winning in fact. But that was a dire night!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/14799570.stm

Edited by CF_Owl

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

That was one game where in fairness some poor finishing from Leeds did let us off the hook in that first half.

It takes a completely different mind set to scrap over a prolonged period in a relegation dog fight, never mind the added blow of suddenly being plunged into one just a month or so before the end of the season when you were previously well clear of it. And this is before you take into account the boost it’s give the other teams down there seeing another club thrown into the dog fight.

We have numerous players out of contract in the summer, many of whom will know the club can’t afford to renew their contracts, are they really going to throw everything into a relegation fight knowing they won’t be here a few months later (especially if we go down) and any potential injury could see any possible moves fall through?

I would be seriously concerned our players wouldn’t have the stomach for the fight although hopefully Chansiri will win his case against the EFL and we’ll never have to find out.

Top post this Trev

3 hours ago, Gresh said:

No I don't think we'll get relegated.  To give some context just over a month a go we smashed a poor Forest side 0 v 4 away from home.  The same Forest who are comfortably in the top 6.  We'll bounce back and just put it down to a collective bad day.

Wouldn't say a collective bad day at all, after that Forest game we threw another opportunity away and lost at Stoke (deservedly) and then put 2 absolutely woeful displays in against 2 poor sides in both Cardiff and Hull. Yes we beat Bristol City but it took a penalty to win that, and it wasnt a convincing performance at that. I have to say the application/attitude from many players is showing that when the chips are down they arent prepared and mentally strong enough to roll the sleeves up and dig in. 

29 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

Who doesn't remember this one then? We had a good side then too, promotion winning in fact. But that was a dire night!

Nothing in my lifetime has topped being spanked 8-0 by Newcastle.

Alan Shearer scored as many goals on his own as Blackburn managed on Saturday, for crying out loud!

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nothing in my lifetime has topped being spanked 8-0 by Newcastle.

Alan Shearer scored as many goals on his own as Blackburn managed on Saturday, for crying out loud!

And weren't Newcastle the only team below us in the league before that match? If not they weren't much above us.....

1 hour ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

And weren't Newcastle the only team below us in the league before that match? If not they weren't much above us.....

I remember that Bobby Robson had just taken charge for them and we bore the full wrath of their 'new manager bounce'.

Just checked, and this was their form before beating us 8-0...

614532266_ScreenShot2020-01-20at17_09_43.thumb.png.cb81aedd9363dc354fd54d61f433b693.png

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CF_Owl said:

Strange how Meggo, with all that Pashun, couldn't stop us beinig battered 5-1 by Stevenage.

I thought Pashun was all you needed?

7 hours ago, nilsson said:

And as it stands we only have a first team squad of 8 players next year. They are Westwood, Palmer, Lees, Iorfa, Borner, Bannan, Luongo and Reach.

There’s a massive rebuilding and recruitment job required for next season but do we have the funds to do it?

well that's the big if ,have we any funds? probably lower wages etc. yet we will be still paying the highest prices in the championship. 

On 20/01/2020 at 07:44, TrickyTrev said:

Do I think this group of spineless cowards have the heart to role their sleeves up and scrap it out in a relegation dog fight?

In a word, no.

Mind you the players will...not sure about the OP and the bedwetters though lol

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2020 at 07:26, Pale Rider said:

Last week I asked if you thought our squad had enough quality to make a push for promotion if didn’t make any signings.

I now ask, if the EFL take 15 points off us, taking into account what happened on Saturday, do you feel we have the right type of character for a relegation fight?

What do you think now.

5 minutes ago, britpunk77 said:

Wednesday to be relegated 20-1 on Bet365.

According to the bookies we’re staying up  at today’s odds..

That's because we're still 12th. Don't think it takes the idea of a points deduction into consideration at the min so might be worth a punt at that price tbh.