Monks management style

26 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

If you think Monk is the problem, then what have you been doing for the past four seasons?

These same nucleus of players keep repeating the same weak, small-minded mentality flaws...time and time again.

How many times, do we have to endured a good result against a decent side, to then flop in such an abject style to a lesser side?

It's happened today.

- It happened when we battered Leeds 3-0 a couple of seasons ago, to follow it up with a pathetic display to whipping boys Bolton. 

- When annihilated Forest 3-0 in the same year, and then followed it up with two utterly awful performances against Brentford and then Burton on New Year's Day.

- Then we comfortably beat a playoff challenging Derby side at home, and followed it up with a defeat at Millwall.

- Then season previous, we put in one of the best away performances over the last few seasons, deservedly beating Newcastle at St James' Park. What do we do? Follow it up with a horrible performance away at Preston (only saved by a last minute, undeserved equaliser by Reach). 

- Then we tore Norwich City apart 5-1 at Hillsborough...guess what? Next up...Burton. You guessed it...another insipid performance...which was the catalyst of a four game winless run which jeopardised our playoff place.

- The season before that... hammered Brentford 4-0...next up Preston away. 1-0 defeat.

- A solid draw away at promotion challengers Hull, followed up by a defeat at home to fookin' Rotherham. 

- A four match winning run, started by a 3-0 demolition of Forest at the City Ground... how does that run end? A 4-1 trouncing away to Bristol City.

I mean seriously...if you think this is Monk's doing, then I give up. I, and others keep saying it... but there is a serious mentality problem. There's certain players who clearly get to a point where they think they've cracked it. Once they've proven what a good player they are away in a tough game, why should they need to put in the hard-yards against these mediocre teams that we're forced to play?

It's got to the point where you simply cannot argue against it. That's EIGHT examples in the space of four seasons...and there are plenty of other less subtle instances of it. 

Forget criticising the only variable in it all, and start focussing on the constants. There's been five different managers during that time, but the squad of players have essentially remained the same. Monk needs time...backing from the Chairman... and patience of the fans to alter this mindset. The only way he's going to do it, is by changing personnel. 

Almost as bad as watching the game, also had the joy of a 2 hour drive home stewing over it. 

Got me thinking how many home games I have walked away from,  since Wembley, that I have actually thought that was a good game of football.  I decided that 25% of them at best and even then I reckon that is generous. 

Serious thought now going into whether my season ticket is renewed. Too much insipid, dull and frankly boring football being served up

3 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

A few weeks ago we did this to Forest.

It happens.

Correct. This league is on a par with the League One we can up in with Dave Jones. It’s absolute dogger. Even the top 2 are rubbish. 

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

You havent read my post yet you reply?....strange, but Ive read yours, last week we was AWAY....today we are at HOME against a side that hasnt won in 6?

Playing away to top of the league opposition is totally different then playing at home against Hull and Blackburn.

Monk might be trying, yes its fair he gets a few signings in but will he get his choices ? Will he get any? As for his post match interview, lets say I wasn't convinced he gave themshit at HT.

oh dear ... let’s leave it there. Night 

5 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

oh dear ... let’s leave it there. Night 

You have introduced yourself as not willing to read a post yet reply then you sign off with that above.

Speaks volumes about your character i think mucks....we might have a difference of opinion but no need to be an ignorent anus pal.

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

ive not even read your post but...it testicles. Nothing to do with monk!!!

Same side as last week, what’s the difference?? Last week he was a genius, this week he wants sacking. Really???? 

Counter attacking is easier than attacking. Carlos went the same way. 

3 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Counter attacking is easier than attacking. Carlos went the same way. 

Correct ive said as much ....playing away is completely different.

Yes it can be argues we do have key players missing but its no coincidence that weve just lost 3 on the bounce to lower placed teams at home !

9 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Some valid point and I agree we have a very aging sorry bunch here but going by your logic jos was set up by these mugs too then yeah? 

Seriously I get Monk has a plan and I get what he is trying to do but it aint working at home we have just lost our 3rd 4th game at home ffs.

Absolutely.

Jos was not the devil in disguise. 

He was one, of a string of managers, that were seriously let down by this set of players.

What's not to get? Unless these squad is fundamentally overhauled, then these same flaws will continue to happen. 

Unfortunately, we've not had a manager in charge long enough, to be able to initiate those changes. Bruce looked to be the man to do that, but that wasn't to be. Chansiri has chosen Monk to be the next man to do that. We HAVE to back him. Because if we don't, these players will sell yet another manager down the river.

• Like 1

I feel for monk not bring able to bring in any of his own coaches etc. Do wonder how much longer he will out up with this. 

The club made a massive mistake not changing the whole coaching set up and keeping on those that are also part of the problem (alongside the players)

3 managers since 2015 - all of them have struggled to get this lot playing in a consistent way, all of them struggled to get them playing with some passion.  Even Bruce struggled at times. 

Would be unfair to blame Monk at this point. We have a squad of individuals, we don’t have a team that can dig in and battle. It’s been the same for the last 4 years now.  Blackburn yesterday gave 100% from start to finish, they didn’t let us settle on the ball. That’s what our team should do as an absolute minimum. 

8 hours ago, pussface said:

I hope Osaze comes back from this. He got torn a new one. 

Felt for the lad.

He got bullied yesterday. Looked completely lost.

Was saying that he needed to come off sooner than he did, though I understand Monk perhaps didnt want to embarrass him.

8 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

You have introduced yourself as not willing to read a post yet reply then you sign off with that above.

Speaks volumes about your character i think mucks....we might have a difference of opinion but no need to be an ignorent anus pal.

I’ve re-read your initial post and I still disagree. How can we play well away from home but then not so well at home? It’s nothing to do with style or where bannan plays its all to do with consistency. I don’t know the reason why but they just can’t see to play week in week out or at home. 

All this about Leeds could have been 3 up is again rubbish...it’s all shoulda, woulda coulda!! They weren’t 3 up and we produced a perfect away performance. It was the same team that played yesterday that started at Leeds, it make no sense. 

Guest The Horse
10 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Forget criticising the only variable in it all, and start focussing on the constants.

Hmmm, I think you might be onto something here.

Things haven't been right since...

20200119_082832.thumb.jpg.99b36bdfdc2a36c84b21d309666bae83.jpg

Guest Ferkorf
10 hours ago, SiJ said:

What is with the obsession about playing 4-4-2?

The best teams in England and Europe mainly use a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system. 

The problem isn't so much the system, it is how you go about playing within said system. 

No obsession...

But you just said it yourself.

Its how you go about it playing within said system and at home its not working at all.

Winnall and Rhodes shouldnt be upfront on their own. Nuhiu is bang average. Fletcher did well in that role.

Edited by Ferkorf

The players aren't good enough and need changing. That's for sure. 3 attacking players this January please.

However, despite their limitations, we should not expect a result and performance like that. EVER. The blame lies with Monk.

We are 1-nil down with 10 men, after 25 mins. The only solution is to shut up shop and see out the defeat and keep the score line down. Being optimistic we could even grab one. Games not entirely over.

We should have been compact and the players dying to defend every ball.

The question is do I think the like of Bruce would have had us in a higher position in the league with this 'nowhere near ready for promotion squad'. Yes.

I also think that would be the case with Pearson, Warnock and dare I say it, Carlos.

In Carlo's first 2 seasons Bannan was not the focus of his attacks or defence. He was simply involved in a minor capacity.

In Carlo's third season, Bannan was central with Jones and became the most important player to lead our attacks. The season Carlos left.

This continued with Jos. The only senior player he didn't really move out unless forced to do so like with West Brom at home game. A game we ultimately lost but played so much better.

When Bruce came he did actually try to move Bannan out wide. He must have known that him in the middle wasn't that effective.

We played Brighton the other week without Bannan. It was Joey Pelepessy in that defensive midfield role. We played well and won.

There is a constant theme here and until people start to see it, we won't improve.

Monk needs to add 3 players in by the end of January and needs to address the elephant in the room. Bannan in the central position.

Some fans also need to smell the coffee about their star player.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I’ve re-read your initial post and I still disagree. How can we play well away from home but then not so well at home? It’s nothing to do with style or where bannan plays its all to do with consistency. I don’t know the reason why but they just can’t see to play week in week out or at home. 

All this about Leeds could have been 3 up is again rubbish...it’s all shoulda, woulda coulda!! They weren’t 3 up and we produced a perfect away performance. It was the same team that played yesterday that started at Leeds, it make no sense. 

We are inconsistent that I do agree with, and we played well at Leeds but no question about it we rode our luck but then we take that.

What my concern is about yesterday  is another home defeat is the fact monk still playing the same system that has seen us fail miserably in the past few home games ...playing away this set up suits more for many reasons.

Blackburn just came and exploited our predictable plan.

Will Monk continue to play the totally inept Sam Winnall as well ?